DrumsAnywhere: Turn any surface into an Electronic Drum Kit.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Krakatau wrote:Question :

- do we need the drumsticks, could it work if we use our own finger as a middle-east hand drummer or indian tablas ?
No, you don't necessarily need drumsticks. Tapping with a one finger works OK.

DrumsAnywhere wrote:
Krakatau wrote:Question :

- do we need the drumsticks, could it work if we use our own finger as a middle-east hand drummer or indian tablas ?
No, you don't necessarily need drumsticks. Tapping with a one finger works OK.
i'm wondering this because i have some experiences to play some finger percussions
I assume that they might be a potential issue in the sense you'd heed enough space between hitting zones, otherwise they might overlap..

...but it could be very interesting if it could create hybrid zones some to be played with one, other with more fingers !

:)

...also, as it seems to offer a very intuitive way of playing and composing methods, creative minds could be interested to use this overlapping issue as a playing technique !

:oops: Ok, let me cool down perhaps, ...but what are the flexibility and limitations of the technique currently ?

:hyper:

Krakatau wrote: i'm wondering this because i have some experiences to play some finger percussions
I assume that they might be a potential issue in the sense you'd heed enough space between hitting zones, otherwise they might overlap..
Surprisingly, DrumsAnywhere can detect different "zones" (virtual pads) just a couple of inches away.
Krakatau wrote::oops: Ok, let me cool down perhaps, ...but what are the flexibility and limitations of the technique currently ?
We have extensively tested the software in various surfaces (floor, walls, staircases, everyday objects, wood, plastic) and microphone types and it worked fine in every single case. The only limitation perhaps is that the surface has to be hard.

In one instance, sound was accidentally picked up by the webcamera's regular microphone (NOT a piezo) several feet away from the surface and the software, to our surprise, was still working decently.

We believe that there are a lot of applications of DrumsAnywhere we ourselves haven't think of yet, and it will be discovered by you the users!

DrumsAnywhere wrote:
Surprisingly, DrumsAnywhere can detect different "zones" (virtual pads) just a couple of inches away.
So i assume in the peculiar case of playing percussion with finger it might be possible to have a zone for each hands playing on a table involving two zones distant of a couple of inches one to the other, (eventually four with our thumbs if we’re lucky) but it won’t be possible to get a different zone for each finger

Anyway if it works and depending on the audio instrument setting in downstream it might be possible to create an interesting palette involving finger playing technique from skilled musicians (rumbling, rolling etc..!)

DrumsAnywhere wrote: In one instance, sound was accidentally picked up by the webcamera's regular microphone (NOT a piezo) several feet away from the surface and the software, to our surprise, was still working decently.
That makes me wondering what are the sonic aspect of your software that makes it react, i’ll be very surprise though, that it could make distinction of different zones in such a case, but that already a performance in itself !

:clap:
DrumsAnywhere wrote: We believe that there are a lot of applications of DrumsAnywhere we ourselves haven't think of yet, and it will be discovered by you the users!
:tu:

Undoubtely…the near future seems rather promising on that purpose ..!
Last edited by Krakatau on Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Double post

Could the OP suggest a (or a couple of) inexpensive mics that you tested with that will give the best chance for success with your demo? That way if we're not getting good results we'll at least be able to eliminate the mic as an issue.... thx

I think i'll be patiently waiting for a mac version...

...it seems some new converging technologies are on the way : on a similar ground there is the new imitone pitch-to-midi processor on steroids that, though it is still on beta stage, seems to make real miracle when you want to control expressive instruments with your own voice :

https://vimeo.com/92244301

I assume, that my personal interest, that such both technologies might still find further improvement and gain in efficiency in the future...
Last edited by Krakatau on Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This very cool

I'm wondering

How many virtual pads can the software define on a table ?

I heard a marimba from the video, if you can define about 20 of them it might be already sufficient for a pentatonic (like a Balafon) or even diatonic(ally played) tuned percussion ?

Krakatau wrote:I'm wondering

I heard a marimba from the video, if you can define about 20 of them it might be already sufficient for a pentatonic (like a Balafon) or even diatonic(ally played) tuned percussion ?
Looking at the "Buy Now" page on their website it looks like the pro version supports 8 pads, non-pro 4....

chrisby wrote:
Krakatau wrote:I'm wondering

Looking at the "Buy Now" page on their website it looks like the pro version supports 8 pads, non-pro 4....
well with 8 pads you'll have an included octave for every diatonic scales
(i would say : major, melodic minor, harmonic minor, arabic minor + all of their modal transposition)

... that could be rather comfortable !

robojam wrote:What about kick drum and hi hat? Can't play those with sticks while doing everything else. Is there a way to add pedals?
We recently discovered that it is indeed possible to simulate a kick drum pedal by attaching the microphone at a leg of the table near the floor. Then, you can simply train the software to detect the tap of your foot et voilà, your virtual pedal is ready!

Next week we will release a video demonstration this and many other uses of DrumsAnywhere. Stay tuned.

chrisby wrote:Could DrumsAnywhere suggest a (or a couple of) inexpensive mics that you tested with that will give the best chance for success with your demo? That way if we're not getting good results we'll at least be able to eliminate the mic as an issue.... thx

dblPost...

A video on using "mousepads" as surface would also be great.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”