IK Multimedia SampleTank 3.0 warning

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SampleTank 3

I just bought and downloaded SampleTank 3 to update my SampleTank 2.5 setup.

After a few unsuccessful attempt to scan the plugin in Tracktion 5, my DAW of choice, I realized that the plugin wrongfully installed the 64 bit version. Or so I thought...

I wrote IK Multimedia about the problem only to be told that the plugin ONLY comes in 64 bit version !?!

So beware if you intend to buy this plugin, there is NO 32 bit version !

Of course there was no mention of this fact in the advertizement at the time of purchase...

I always thought IK Multimedia was a reputable company and did not expect them to hide this "feature".

So I just had a $100 lesson.

Be warned !

Why have you had a $100 lesson? The VST version works in the 64 bit version of Tracktion 5. Is it 'cos you usually use the 32 bit T5, and need plugins that only work in that version, or what's the problem?
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

All my setup consist of 32 bit plugins only... :-(

Bugger ... I think I read something on an IK forum saying someone got it to work in jBridge, in Live (? I think ...)

Might not have been Live, might have been a different daw, but maybe that's an option?

http://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/

I feel for you, but, to be fair, they do say this on the product page:

"Available as standalone and 64-bit plug-in for AAX, VST and Audio Units platforms on Mac OS X and Windows"

That said, is there a way for you to use the standalone version of ST3 by looping it in with ReWire within Tracktion?

(Disclaimer: I'm not even sure that ReWire is even still a thing within T5; I just remember using it once or twice in T2, with some success. Just though I'd offer the suggestion in case it might help.)
Win10 Pro 64, Clevo P750DM3, i7-7700, 32GB, nVidia GTX1060, 500GB/500GB/1TB SSD, PreSonus Quantum 2 Thunderbolt, Waveform 10

mpoirier wrote:All my setup consist of 32 bit plugins only... :-(
Is that because you are on a 32 bit system? Otherwise you could stil run it in the 64 bit Tracktion.

Actually it is possible to use 64 bit plugins in 32 bit hosts using a wrapper - Jbridge does this, so does Reaper's wrapper.

rlindsey0 wrote:I feel for you, but, to be fair, they do say this on the product page:

"Available as standalone and 64-bit plug-in for AAX, VST and Audio Units platforms on Mac OS X and Windows"

That said, is there a way for you to use the standalone version of ST3 by looping it in with ReWire within Tracktion?

(Disclaimer: I'm not even sure that ReWire is even still a thing within T5; I just remember using it once or twice in T2, with some success. Just though I'd offer the suggestion in case it might help.)
Well, the standalone version of ST3 doesn't currently work, which is a bit of a stumbling block. And quite bizarre that it got through beta testing.

At least, on my machine, it doesn't. You double click it, it appears in task manager, then quickly disappears. No error, no explanation.

I contacted IK, and they say it's an issue with ASIO compatibility, and they're working on a bugfix. So it must be a general "it's just fecked" issue, because they didn't ask me to do any troubleshooting, or even check I was using ASIO.

The standalone doesn't work? That sucks. So much for my suggestion. I haven't even gotten my copy of ST3 yet; I ordered a hard copy from Sweetwater and it won't ship until Friday. But this is dampening my enthusiasm slightly.

As for the OP's issue, I've heard good things about jBridge as well. It might be the best solution if moving to a 64-bit host is out of the question. But maybe it's time to switch the plugins now being used to 64-bit versions, unless they're older and only exist in 32-bit?
Win10 Pro 64, Clevo P750DM3, i7-7700, 32GB, nVidia GTX1060, 500GB/500GB/1TB SSD, PreSonus Quantum 2 Thunderbolt, Waveform 10

I think I have no choice to move over to 64 bit eventually.

Presently I am upset because only a few months ago I bought IK Multimedia Total Studio (Amplitube, SampleTank and derivatives and T-Racks all 32 bit only) and finally settled on my main plugin which is Amplitube 3. Now I cannot use both Amplitube 3 with SampleTank 3. I am also using many 32 bit plugins from Variety of Sounds and and other older free goto plugins...

It will take some time to move my setup to 64 bit, an unwelcome task I was not ready to get into.

I also use Reaper and was able to run ST3 in it, but I am not confident of the stability of the "bridging" feature.

BTW, I was able to import all my SampleTank instruments using the standalone version, ST2XL, SampleTron, SampleMoog and Miroslav. Only SonikSynth glitched on one file (/Sonic Synth 2/Instruments/I Elements B/G Groove Elements/130BPM_ailing.sti) which once removed imported properly.

Yes you can. Amplitude has a 64 bit version, that works in T5.

Just use jBridge, if moving to 64 bit plugs isn't ideal, right now. The demo works for the first 20 minutes, or something, check your other plugs work, then it's like 15 euros. Not ideal, but it'll work.

Thank you Chico.co.uk I did not remember I had the possibility to install Amplitube3 64 bits !

I still have a bunch of 32 bit plugins though...

I downloaded and ran jBridge following the instructions, all went well and all my plugins from my 32 bit VST folder were generated in my 64 bit VST folder. But, Tracktion fails initializing every single one of them on the folder scan/clear/rescan etc...

It may be something with T5 since every one here seems to have had success with jBridge...

Did you point Tracktion to the bridged plugins folder? (it is usually not the same as the main plugins folder)

Just out of curiosity, does it work if you try to go the other way? That is, use jBridge to try to get 64-bit SampleTank working in a 32-bit version of T5?

You definitely need to scan *only* your 64 bit jbridged plugin folder in 64 bit T5, and make sure you don't store the 64 bit jbridge versions in the same folder as the original 32 bit vsts. That doesn't go well

I had similar hassles trying to get jbridge going at first, but it turned out to be something along those lines.

I've done something similar to you, got total studio not all that long ago, haven't used it enough yet in anger (big install, which i managed to do on the wrong laptop, like a twat, before realising, and can't quite face doing it again on the proper one). But I'll be doing similar "get the older libraries going in ST3 and T5" at some point soon, if i ever find enough free time ...

Still only got the first zip file of Sampletank3 sounds installed (Acoustic and Electronic drums), because I've downloaded the installers on another machine, and now need to juggle them over using various too-small usb keys, and figure out what to uninstall on the music laptop (actually the wrong laptop) to make space for the full ST3 install, but I sat through the import of the Sampletank 2.5XL sounds into ST3 just now, and I can already tell that I'm going to have a lot of fun with this plugin ... I needed something like this - a one stop shop for sounds good enough for home demos, with a dead simple user interface.

I bought Total Studio when it was on offer, installed sampletank 2.5XL, SampleMoog, Sonic Synth, Miroslav and Sampletron on this laptop, fired them up in Tracktion, and hated the teeny tiny lettering and clunky interfaces so much I basically recorded nothing worth hearing whenever I tried to use them. It just wasn't fun, it was a chore squinting to find sounds in the lists. And they didn't seem to have obvious gui functionality, like being able to step up and down through the sounds with arrow keys with one hand, while playing keys with the other. Maybe you can, and I should have read the manuals, to find out how, but I just didn't enjoy using them.

The new gui looks great though, or suits me, anyway. It's obvious how to use it, it's clear, it looks simple to add and edit effects, assign midi channels to different sounds, create your own multis - I've only just started playing with it, using the imported 2.5 sound library, and already found an electric piano sound I quite liked, chucked a bit of distortion and delay on it, in ST3, and recorded some little bits I haven't played before now, that I like, and can hopefully work up into some new tune I don't know yet... quite excited playing with it, for the first time in yonks, sat in front of a laptop, trying to make tunes ... :D

Sorry this is a bit gush-y, just rediscovered the joy of making something new, that you like, I guess, and it's good to get that back again.

Oh, and I totally get why you're pissed off about the surprise of no 32 bit version, and I'm no IK Multimedia fanboy, or apologist, or trying to sell Sampletank 3 to anyone. Horses for courses. I'm sure loads of you would try it and think "big wow, i've done this for years with Kontakt/whatever", or "I would literally never use this" - it's just pushing my buttons tonight. It's definitely not all bad news, ST3, not round my house, anyway. I took a punt on the pre-order upgrade price of 79 euros, or whatever it was, and (at least early doors), it's looking like that was a good shot-in-the-dark (for me, anyway)

Sorry for the digression off T5 folks, as you were ... ;)

Return to “Tracktion”