VST Instruments That Do Not Support 32bit

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

On the flipside, you have Image Line who made a 64 bit version of FL Studio but are telling people not to use it :D

I bet that they'll have the longest running 32 bit DAW into the future.

arkmabat wrote:On the flipside, you have Image Line who made a 64 bit version of FL Studio but are telling people not to use it :D
That's what I thought when I read their promo material as well. Strange, right?
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

kbaccki wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:Windows 9 is going to be 64-bit only, AFAIK(*), so there's a certain amount of inevitability about it.

(*) Although it should still support 32bit apps, despite the rumours that it wont.
Yeah, we'll see, indeed… x64 hardware requirement I could see (mainstream x64 CPUs is 10 year old technology), but no 32-bit legacy support would be a bold step in the wrong direction.
On the plus side, more and more devs see the value in cross platform these days...
I find this strangely reminiscent of when they moved away from DOS...

Inevitable, does seem to cover it.

64 bit versions of Windows already have a 32 bit emulation layer (which is likely to be present in Windows 9), but I think the expectation is that there will be no new hardware with 32 bit processors, so there is no limitation to installing a 64 bit OS.

BBFG# wrote:I find this strangely reminiscent of when they moved away from DOS...

Doesn't matter if you have greatest 64-bit system in the world, if you need to use 32-bit system. For example, Linux users can use most 32-bit VSTs via Wine. 64-bit VSTs are not so easy to get working (I hear that it is possible, but results are mixed).

Anyone considering dropping 32-bit support, you'll leave some of your potential users behind.

Anyone with Einstein class brain -- software wrepper which could run *any* VST in *any* environment without latency would be very good idea (and probably would vreak some laws of physics... :D ).

BBFG# wrote:
kbaccki wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:Windows 9 is going to be 64-bit only, AFAIK(*), so there's a certain amount of inevitability about it.

(*) Although it should still support 32bit apps, despite the rumours that it wont.
Yeah, we'll see, indeed… x64 hardware requirement I could see (mainstream x64 CPUs is 10 year old technology), but no 32-bit legacy support would be a bold step in the wrong direction.
On the plus side, more and more devs see the value in cross platform these days...
I find this strangely reminiscent of when they moved away from DOS...

Literally 16-bit to 32-bit right?

Wait. Windows moved away from DOS? When did that happen? Even Windows 7 is just a modded shell wrapper for DOS. I had hopes 20 years ago, when I bought my first x64 system, which ran WinNT - that they might drag themselves out of the dark. Like a QWERTY keyboard, latency is built into the product. The more memory space, the more poor programmers will abuse it and claim "but there's SO much of it..."

Actually Windows have come a long way since their first release, in today's form they're certainly MUCH more than a modded shell wrapper for DOS. Your statement would be even closer to the truth in the Windows 9x era... By the way, to stay on topic, as far as I can recall the first 64bit-only plugins I saw were from AIR Music Tech (last year?).

subsynq wrote:Actually Windows have come a long way since their first release, in today's form they're certainly MUCH more than a modded shell wrapper for DOS. Your statement would be even closer to the truth in the Windows 9x era... By the way, to stay on topic, as far as I can recall the first 64bit-only plugins I saw were from AIR Music Tech (last year?).
You are correct.
2 out of their 7 VST Instruments are 64 bit only. Loom and Vacuum Pro

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Return to “Instruments”