Open Sound Control (OSC) is here

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello Bitwigglers!

I implemented a controller script which allows to use the OSC protocol with Bitwig.

Get the latest stable release from: http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Bitwig/Bitwig.html

Enjoy! :)
Last edited by moss on Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

Great work! I will try it later

Brilliant :-)

I tried it successfully with Usine Hollyhook and it worked right away after adjusting the IPs in the script (would it make sense to have localhost/127.0.0.1 as default?).

Thank you so much!

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Is there a way to use this script with an android tablet, Linux and JACK (Cadence, actually)? I know you indicated how to install it in the wiki, but I seem to remember there being some difficulty with Tom's original touch OSC script and Linux. Regardless, thanks for your work! I have no programming skills per se, and must await the work of others until I get some skills of my own.
...If you have to fix it with a computer: quantized, pitch corrected, and overly inspected, then you can't do it, and I can't get behind that!
-Henry Rollins; I Can't Get Behind That-from William Shatner's, "Has Been"

tomsa wrote:Is there a way to use this script with an android tablet, Linux and JACK (Cadence, actually)? I know you indicated how to install it in the wiki, but I seem to remember there being some difficulty with Tom's original touch OSC script and Linux.
Toms original TouchOSC layout + script uses MIDI not OSC! Therefore, you need to do some additional configuration on the server side. With OSC you only need my script and an OSC capable client, like TouchOSC.

And here's the first update which makes it pretty usable:

Changes in 1.1
  • Added the following messages to be sent out:
    /fxparam/{1-8}/name {text}
    /fxparam/{1-8}/value {0-127}
    /fxparam/{1-8}/valueStr {text}
  • Added the following messages to be received:
    /vkb_midi/{Channel:0-16}/note/+ 1 octave up
    /vkb_midi/{Channel:0-16}/note/- 1 octave down
    /vkb_midi/{Channel:0-16}/drum/{Note:0-127} {Velocity:0-127}
    /vkb_midi/{Channel:0-16}/drum/+ 1 drum octave up
    /vkb_midi/{Channel:0-16}/drum/- 1 drum octave down
    /scene/{1-8}/launch
    /track/{1-8}/clip/{1-8}/launch
  • BitwigOSC.touchosc now shows track names and fx parameter names. I increased the vertical size of the layout depending on your device you might not see the names. If this is the case you need to adjust the layout. Also the transpose of drum pads and keyboard is working. Clip view is workiong as well.

I am trying to get this going with a Behringer x32 digital mixer.
Which I know uses OSC to talk thru it XEdit app on a MAC to the X32.
This works fine for me, for just remotely controlling the X32, but there is no way to record the OSC output of XEdit for the purpose of automating it .
I am at a loss for how to make the x32 OSC capabilities work in BWS.
But I would like To be able To automate the X32 mixer via BWS. and possibly control other functions via the API.
I have got this to work In Presonus Studio One, Logic, Ableton, and Reaper using a program called X32Midiosc, (this no longer seems to be being developed )
It emulates multiple Mackie Controls Units. converts that to OSC and bi-directionally X32

This makes me think about a port of ST8´s Livecontrol over to Bitwig, but i guess that would be a dream for some time........

Hi, im not an advanced technical wizard over here. But does moving forward with OSC mean that there is a move forward with the possible integration of max? isnt max serialosc or am i trippin balls
• Logic Pro 10.8.1
• MacBook Pro 2023 - M2 MAX - 96 GB RAM
• Focusrite Red 8Line + UAD Satellite

qtheerearranger wrote:does moving forward with OSC mean that there is a move forward with the possible integration of max?
Yes, a Max integration is easy via OSC. If you take a closer look at my script you will find that it includes an example Max patch in the "test" folder.

reflex58 wrote:I am trying to get this going with a Behringer x32 digital mixer. Which I know uses OSC to talk thru it XEdit app on a MAC to the X32.
The X32 does not speak OSC. It emulates the Mackie protocol (which is MIDI). Have you tried the "Mackie MCU" script coming with Bitwig?

what exactly does step 6, "Adjust the IP-adresses and ports of your computer and the client device you want to use in the script "OSC.control.js". For testing with the Max patch you can use localhost (127.0.0.1)." entail?

The Behringher x32 does speak OSC I I said in the prior post I have this working with the app "x32midiosc" which runs as a on the OSX terminal.
It will also run with the MCU concurrently.

If you know the X32 there are 16 channel faders which are bank swithchable these are not used for the MCU emulation. The 8 Bus faders are used to do the MCU emulation when the remote button is pressed.
The 16 channel faders will only work when the X32osc app is running With BWS it will then show up as five sets of MIDI i/o in BWS. As long as you have the matching amount of audio/instruments tracks it. And the MCU control script select as i/o, it works .

My current problems (besides getting to MidiOSC script to work), Is with the above mentioned the faders (in BWS, and the X32) always control channels 1,9,17 etc ... This is not a problem In Logic, Live. StudioOne, Reaper as you can make settings to offset or identify the oder of the 5 MCU units x32midiosc emulates. The current BWS MCU script does not allow for multiple MCU identification. I have attached a copy of the x32osc pdf.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The X32 and its variant has become Quite popular In Live Sound and can be used in a studio environment. considering it functions as a control surface, and huge 32 channel fir wire or USB interface.
As I mentioned I have had success using it with LIve , Logic etc… and with BWS but not so much as a control surface.

Also Uploaded X32midiosc app

Anzick wrote:what exactly does step 6, "Adjust the IP-adresses and ports of your computer and the client device you want to use in the script "OSC.control.js". For testing with the Max patch you can use localhost (127.0.0.1)." entail?
OSC is a network protocol which is based on UDP. This means 2 computers can speak to each other via that protocol. To identify computers in a network each has a specific address called the "IP address".
You need to find out the addresses for the computer you run Bitwig (and the OSC script) on and of your client device (Android, iOS Tablet, Phone, ...). On Windows you can open a command line and enter "ipconfig". Google for "find out ip address on ..." for all other platforms.

Hope this quick introduction helps :)

Return to “Controller Scripting”