Anyone who is able to fix/improve the Launchpad-script?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ah, sorry Thomas I thought you wrote the Launchpad script.

Yep it is rather complicated, Too much jumping around for me to different functions that I lose track.

I noticed on another post when I searched for "Launch Control" you said "The Launch Control is on my list of Controllers to tackle". How far did you get along with that?

Here's mine as it stands, https://mega.co.nz/#!EkFwxTjZ!tKqlEJFdh ... wa9CtySdZQ

Factory panel 1 = Top row knobs parameters, bottom row Macros
Factory Panel Buttons from left to right = Stop, Play, Record, Loop On/Off, Rewind, Forward, Change to previous parameter page, Change to next parameter page (move the rainbows)
Side buttons: Up & down = change track, Left and Right = Move along Device chain
All other Factory and User panel knobs are freely assignable

Great you got it working ;-)

Basically: Other stuff reared it's head so I didn't even start with the Launch Control yet.

I actually was a bit unsure what to do with the unit. It doesn't offer enough features to create a really deep script, so I guess I would basically have done something similar to your script. Now I can spare the effort ;-)

If you want to enter it into the Bitwig Controller List, maybe upload it to a free Github Repositoriy?
http://www.github.com
Mega is a bit of a pain (didn't accept my main Browser (Opera 12.x)) and doesn't allow to track updates, add comments etc.

Enter it here:
http://www.bitwig.com/en/community/control_scripts.html

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Well at least I know that I'm not working on something that is already being worked on and doing the same thing :)

Ok here's a new Github, https://github.com/educk/Launch-Control-Bitwig-Script

It is a little bit of a mess at moment, but I'm going to work on it over the next week or so and hopefully get some of the other Factory pages doing something, But I'm thinking that the Factory pages should allow the knobs to control 8 select-able channels and then say Factory page 2 is volume/pan, Factory page 3 is the first 2 sends etc and then I'll try and get the lights working for the pads. If I'm happy with it, then I'll submit it to the community controller page, but at the moment it's a bit too simple.

Right I just made a edit on the Github repository to fix the orientation

I think I did it quite a decent way. It seems to be working for me. But please check the code as I'm not an expert coder.

I'm working out the Launchpad script quite well now after a few hours intensive reading.

https://github.com/educk/novation-launc ... ee/patch-1

Edward

Just tried your improved Launchpad script - it's awesome. Mixer control follows the orientation now - thanks man! Pretty please the track select etc. and scene launch too? :)

Do you clever people know - Is it possible to make the clip view on screen follow the red box, so as we move around on the Launchpad, the display follows? That'd be awesome cos at the moment one of the big hindrances to handsoff live control is I have to mouse the scrollbar or down/up keys. Which is a real killjoy with a tablet setup.

Thanks again for the great improvements to the script - I'm enjoying it right now!

By "follow the red box", Do you mean the record arm the selected track. Because you can use "Arm Selected Instrument Tracks" and "Arm Selected Audio Tracks" in you options dropdown which will mean the red box follows you as you use the up/down buttons.

Yeah I'll try get the page with the solo/mute/arm on to recorientate. I got the buttons to yesterday but the lights didn't want to follow.

Hey mate. Thanks again for your great work. The follow behaviour I mean - is the 8 clips x 8 clips 'red box' onscreen which shows the current clips and tracks viewable on the Launchpad - and as I scroll down through the clips with the Launchpad, the 'red box' moves off screen and I have to scroll the screen down to follow the clips available on the launchad. You get what I mean? Sorry if I'm not being super clear. So not a track selection thing, just a scroll the display to reflect the Launchpad.

I see what you mean, interesting because that box on mine isn't red, it is a white box. I'll see whether the Bitwig API allows you to do that. I was also thinking that maybe when you press the Mixer button it changes to the Mixer view and back to arrange view depending what orientation the launchpad is in, but not sure if that is possible at moment as I haven't explored everything.

Anyway, I've done a little more work on it this evening... I'm keeping a list of what is different from the main script

https://github.com/educk/novation-launc ... ee/patch-1

* Added a load of comments so others can better understand the code and can modify easier to your liking and grab parts for own scripts for other devices.
* Orientation for the "Arm" page with Mute, Solo, Arm changable with orientation (Mixer button)
* Orientation of the Volume, Pan, Send and User pages changes with the orientation (Mixer button)
* Bitwig indicators for User page 3 added (I suspect they were left out because they don't come out rainbow coloured), But I think they are still nice to have even though they are all white.
* Lights and buttons on the Arm/Solo/Mute page have been reordered/recoloured to match Bitwig's ordering and colours better. i.e Mutes are now orange and on the right to match Bitwig.
* Lights of the right side on clip launcher made no sense so have changed the sends to yellow to match Bitwigs colours for sends and all user page buttons now green
* Lights on the sends pages have been changed to yellow to distinguish them from the user and volume and to match Bitwig's colours for send

Just added so that Mixer and Arrange view change within Bitwig to match orientation on Launchpad which makes the orientation changes made feel really complete.

Again amazing work man - deeply appreciate your efforts!

This is an issue that's plagued me from the outset - I wonder if you have it too. When changing modes on the Launchpad - say from clip launcher to keys/drums or step sequencer - and even orientation - the MIDI clock output hangs for a moment and I lose sync - ioit resumes but downstream clocked devices are now no longer on the beat but kicking along like 13/23rds of a bar off or whatever. It's always been like that - do you sync stuff and get that too?

And on the 'red box' - it may not be red it could be grey but i'm a bit colour blind :) Would LOVE it if you can work out if the screen can follow it!

I'm not too sure about your sync problem, I have no other MIDI devices sync apart from a Launchpad, Launch Control and a Keyboard.

It must be something to do with the MIDI being sent out or in for it to affect others devices, the only bit of code I've seen that could affect this is within the Launchpad.control.js file. It is near the bottom and it starts with function flushLEDs()

When you change pages a load of MIDI messages get sent to the device at once. This function does a count of the number of LEDs to be changed. It then decides if to send them in "optimized mode" if there are more than 30. So when you are changing pages it is probably using the "optimized mode" as more than 30 lights are updating in a single move.

So maybe you could try changing the line... if (changedCount > 30)
and try higher or lower numbers. Changing this number to 81 or above would disable it the optimized mode completely. Lowering that number would make "optimized mode" be used more regularly.

I can't see anything in the API that would move the screen to follow as far as I am aware of.

Great stuff guys! :-)

@esn: Didn't hear of the synch problem yet. So what you are saying is: when you switch the Launchpad mode, other controller scripts connected to other gear lose synch? What kind of system are you using?

And no, moving the screen to follow the clip window isn't possible yet with the API as it is, but it's a good call.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

These Scripts are really great! The Mods to the Launchpad Script are working as expected (verry nice Idea to change View and Orientation at once), the Launch Control Script runs nice also. The only thing that could be improved at it´s actual Stage:Get rid of the Parameter Jumps and set the Encoders to a Pic-up mode if possible.

Some Posts earlyer there was the Question what else could we do with the LaunchControl (and Launchpad): I don´t know if the API is capable of doing this, but both devices are predestined for Sequencing. The Launchpad already has a Push-Style Stepsequencer, i know. What also would be nice (specially for Live-use) is a more "classic" Styled Sequencer: one Note per Row and Steps running from left to right. Would be great for manipulating Drumsequences live for Example.

The LaunchControl on the other Hand would make a good "analogue-styled" Step Sequencer: Note-Pitch for 16 Steps on the Encoders, Stepcount on the buttons, Arrow Keys: Left/Right for switching between first and Second half of the sequence on the Buttons and Up/Down for changing Speed (just as an example).

As i said: Dunno if the API can handle it, but something like this would be nice to see

Yeah I really want to work on the Launch Control as the Launchpad has its limitations but with the LaunchControl and LaunchPad combined, I think you can pretty much make almost a hands off the mouse/keyboard environment (which is my aim). I've learned the Launchpad script pretty decently now. I'm really slow at programming though, my only experience in the past is building RemixComps.com, and my programming is mostly trial and error with me especially as the API documentation isn't the best, it just gives the names and no examples.

It should be possible to copy the step sequencer from the Launchpad script and rewrite it for the 8 buttons and make a few changes. And you've got me thinking now whether Pickup mode is possible. I've never used the LaunchControl in Ableton, only had it a couple of weeks, so I don't know what it does in that.

Here's the thing, The Launchpad script has a really nice paging system in the code. I think that needs to be brought over to the LaunchControl script. Then we could script something for every bank. Step sequencer could be one of them. Basically I want to get the LaunchControl to control 8 tracks which you can move. Then have something along the lines of...

Factory Bank 1: Macro/Parameters and Transport Control
Factory Bank 2: Volume and Pan for 8 Tracks
Factory Bank 3: Sends 1 + 2
Factory Bank 4: Sends 3 + 4
and then maybe use the buttons for Bitwig specific tasks like changing from automation to note to device view etc.

From the Launchpad script, I believe it is possible to create some sort of timing script so you can hold down the top buttons (like the arrows) to enter new pages of buttons, so for example if you were to hit arrow 1 once it acts normally, but if you held it for 2 seconds, it enters another mode. If that could get working we could have an additional 4 pages or features, one could be delete clips mode, another lock clips so you can't accidentally stop them (for live performance).

Return to “Bitwig”