Is lots of waiting for loading normal when making music with computers?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

11 secs to desktop Win 8.1 and SSD. Q8400 2.66 Ghz, 4GB RAM. Waiting - Ive heard of it.

Well I've just finished setting up tonight's hardware arrangement which consists of:

1x Mackie Mixer
1x TT303
1x Distortion Pedal
1x Audio Interface
1x MIDI Interface
1x Computer

Total time 20mins

Now what were you saying about software being slow? ;)
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

The waiting is a hell of a lot less than recording analog instruments in a full studio. Things tend to be a lot quicker now, but at one time (back in the 80s for sure), you could be waiting around for half a day while mics were being set up and levels tested.

robojam wrote:The waiting is a hell of a lot less than recording analog instruments in a full studio. Things tend to be a lot quicker now, but at one time (back in the 80s for sure), you could be waiting around for half a day while mics were being set up and levels tested.
In the 70's we started the day before and depending on the quantity/quality of the beer it sometimes took us through the week to get started recording. :hihi:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Probably more so in the 70s. I worked in a small studio for a while in the early/mid 80s, and we had to do things fast as bands would pay for a day at a time. We were really doing everything, and there were a few times when I would play guitar parts for bands because their guitarists couldn't manage to overdub performances well enough.

The funniest thing was when bands wanted to produce and mix their own material and would eventually come back for more sessions and ask us to do the producing and mixing... :hihi:

Bet those were best of fun times for you though robojam :D

Have to say I miss the early days some ;)

Today everyone seems to be in a hurry....guess this is the reason for the op. ;)

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

dsan@mail.com wrote:Bet those were best of fun times for you though robojam :D

Have to say I miss the early days some ;)
I was only doing it for maybe 6-12 months part time, but I do miss it. Most of the time either side of it (and during) was working in theaters, so at the time it was a really good venture into something different.

UltraJv wrote:11 secs to desktop Win 8.1 and SSD. Q8400 2.66 Ghz, 4GB RAM. Waiting - Ive heard of it.
I get similar results. Win 8.1 with an SSD (although I have an Ivy Bridge i5 and 16GB in my machine. None of the 'fast start'/'hybrid sleep' etc stuff is enabled either. It's a 100% cold boot. The best thing is the desktop that appears after those 11 seconds is perfectly responsive and fluid, while programs open just as quickly as usual. No trace of the initial sluggishness I used to get when using a hard drive as things loaded in the background.

For what it's worth, I'm using a general purpose computer as opposed to a dedicated DAW, so all my games and other programs are on the same drive. I keep the DAW + VST plugs on my 128GB SSD while my 1TB HDD houses all my samples, media, and other files.

For me, going SSD is simply the best upgrade you can make at any price, let alone for the £50 they cost these days. It's difficult to believe how much your hard drive bottlenecks your machine until it doesn't any more. I don't regret going i5 over i7 (largely so I could afford the SSD) for a second.

My songs are small w/4-6 tracks, and they load quickly(Reaper). The only thing that's ever slowed down a computer for me (and shot up idle cpu usage) is uninstallers. That's why I use portable everything, or put in Sandboxie. Windows really sucks for not being able to handle uninstalling.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

All we need is just a little patience... Time for a break now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njCUxuxjR1M

Thank you Tricky for reminding me.....

What it was about Axel that I didn't like then......

And continue to not like now.

:hihi:

He couldn't carry a tune if someone put it in a box with handles for him. :D

But thanks for reminding me :tu:

Gotta give him though, made a lot more money than I ever will. :hihi:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

@ dsan@mail.com

The alternative would have been to post "Patience" by Take That but it sounds so boring... :x

I'm a big fan of Guns 'n' Roses, especially older songs like "Sweet Child of Mine", "Welcome to the Jungle", "Civil War" and "Knockin' on Heaven's Door". But I didn't like the new album "Chinese Democracy"...better take me to the "Paradise City" where the grass is green and the girls are pretty...

d-s-m wrote:Ok so I just got from pressing the 'on' button on my pc to my plugin heavy template in Ableton in 1 min 20 secs :) which I can easily live with.

Although some of my other projects are still taking too long to load tho, one of them just took nearly 3 mins :( I think its certain plugins seem to be the culprit, not sure which ones atm tho.

Got defrag running now, hopefully that can shave a bit off. Failing that, looks like it's gonna be SSD time :roll:
The only thing at first that was pissing me off when I built this computer was komplete instruments were taking a long time to load. Other than that, live works quite snappy with my SSD. BUT I run all my projects from a HD (because of all the writing with audio and such) so it would probably be instantanious if it was all on SSD.

Stop using hibernate and actually shut the thing down once in a while. For starters most windows updates don't actually kick in until you shut the machine down rather than restarting or hibernating.
Secondly, what everyone else said, plus you've probably got a shitty 5400rpm HDD.

PCI Express SSD are twice the speed of SSD that's what I would put in my next computer. They use up a PCI e slot though and cost a load of moolah

Cheapest solution I've found is a device called a cup of tea.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”