How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi!

I'm trying to remake this sound:

http://youtu.be/FjSQUx-k1co?t=46s

@ 0.46 sec

How do you make it? it's kind of pitchbending? or is it my ears that are tricked?

Everything I try to make a supersaw it just sounds plain booring, like a normal supersaw.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Also: what more could you do to modulate or change a supersaw sound? I've tried most thing such a pitch envelope etc but it just sounds BAD. Since my music is pretty much supersaw oriented, I'd like to know how to make more interesting supersaws.

Thanks.
MacBook Pro 15" | 2 GHz Intel Core i7 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 | 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD + 500GB Toshiba internal HDD | AMD RAdeon HD 6490M 256MB | Apogee Duet | Ableton Live 9 | MAC OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.3

anyone?
MacBook Pro 15" | 2 GHz Intel Core i7 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 | 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD + 500GB Toshiba internal HDD | AMD RAdeon HD 6490M 256MB | Apogee Duet | Ableton Live 9 | MAC OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.3

Hello,

If you listen closely, there is a supersaw, but there is also a bass at the same time (maybe a filtered square or a triangle). Maybe you miss that element?

For me it is pitch bending, made outside the synth (in midi editing). At the beginning of the phrase, the bending is going up until it reaches the note, and at the end of the phrase it is going down.

Hope it helps you. Maybe you could let us hear what you did?

fifou64 wrote:Hello,

If you listen closely, there is a supersaw, but there is also a bass at the same time (maybe a filtered square or a triangle). Maybe you miss that element?

For me it is pitch bending, made outside the synth (in midi editing). At the beginning of the phrase, the bending is going up until it reaches the note, and at the end of the phrase it is going down.

Hope it helps you. Maybe you could let us hear what you did?
I REALLY appreciate this answer.

could you maybe show me how to do this?

Is it really a BASS? it sounds like a lead to me, layered lead. But maybe you're right. I'm gonna try a pitchbending bass layered underneath some supersaws. Although I wonder - how's the bass sound made more specific/ in detail?

I guess my ear was fooled thinking it was supersaws pitchbended.

Thanks a bunch mate!

Hi,
I added my midi file with pithbending.At the end of the phrase it is a little bit tricky, because the bending goes up and down.

For the supersaw, I used synth1. I layered 3 instances of it:
-the first one is a triangle for the bass (otc -12). No filter.
-the second one is a supersaw with osc1 at oct 0, osc2 at oct 1, unison 8 with spread. This layer is panned -16
-the third one is a supersaw with osc1 at oct 2, osc2 at oct3, unison 8 with spread. This layer is panned +17.

Second and third layer are bot highpass filtered (hp12). The values are approximative, and my audio file is included.

Cheers.

Philippe

Midi Pitchbending.zip
midi file.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

audio pitchbending.zip
Audio file preview
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fifou64 wrote:
audio pitchbending.zip
Audio file preview
This sounds good, BUT. Imo the sound I hear in the youtbue video sounds like it's a hoover or something. Am I wrong here? Don't get me wrong, yours sounds really good, but it sounds more normal supersawish rather than the bending hoover-lead sounds which I'm trying to achieve.

What I want is to find a way to make my supersaws more interesting, not just sound like plain booring supersaws. I'm so bad at this, but I want to achieve the result so badly.

I tried to layer it with a pitch modulated lead.

http://www56.zippyshare.com/v/18022372/file.html

My problem is when I'm trying to layer a detuned saw with the supersaws I've created in VIRUS TI2, and assigning a pitch modulation to envelope 3 in the filter (to get the type of hoover sound/screechy saw), I tend to go out of tune. How do I get it back in TUNE with the supersaws?

@ 0.33 you can hear both of the sounds together. And separate before that.

How do I get it in tune but still having the pitchmodulation affecting the lead? I want that effect, but I want it to still stay in tune. As you hear it's not in tune after the modulation has taken place.

Thanks alot!

Anyone? PLEASE

didn't everyone answer? bass, drum, noise sweep, lead with portamento & slide. If you mix them it should sound gorgeous.

tooneba wrote:didn't everyone answer? bass, drum, noise sweep, lead with portamento & slide. If you mix them it should sound gorgeous.
Easier said than done. I think there's pitchmodulation involved aswell. Am I totally wrong here? and my problem is that I can't blend them 2 together. See my example.

No one? please? :(

jontah wrote:I tried to layer it with a pitch modulated lead.

http://www56.zippyshare.com/v/18022372/file.html

My problem is when I'm trying to layer a detuned saw with the supersaws I've created in VIRUS TI2, and assigning a pitch modulation to envelope 3 in the filter (to get the type of hoover sound/screechy saw), I tend to go out of tune. How do I get it back in TUNE with the supersaws?

@ 0.33 you can hear both of the sounds together. And separate before that.

How do I get it in tune but still having the pitchmodulation affecting the lead? I want that effect, but I want it to still stay in tune. As you hear it's not in tune after the modulation has taken place. This is fairly standard practice for modern dance music.

Thanks alot!
You can't have a pitch sweep and still have it be in tune. If the pitch drops or rises at any time, for the duration of that effect, it becomes atonal, until it stops and rests on an in-tune note. I think the pitch drops you're hearing are just a "tape stop" effect applied at the end of each phrase.

But like you said "easier said than done" - there's a flipside to that, words cannot take you 100% of the way there. There's not a whole lot more the forum can tell you. If you feel out of your depth, try making something simpler. It's not a crime to do that, but people rarely seem to want to do it. This stuff will automatically get easier the more time you invest doing it. You'll develop senses you never even knew you had.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Return to “Sound Design”