Does format variations of plugins make them more expensive

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There are many plugin formats now.

If a vendor releases a plug for VST2 and VST3 (32 and 64 bit) both for PC and Mac, as well as AU and also AAX.

Will that be more expensive for the vendor, than just releasing the plugin as a VST2 ?

It surely will, as you have to develop and test for other platforms too. The vendor will take pretty much what the market offers for a plugin though, there's no extra charge for a broad platform compatibility, which you can see at the example of Bitwig for instance. And if you have a good name, you can charge 50% more even, and people will still buy it happily, if it's quality stuff. :)

At a really small scale (like me), development for an OS you don't use is a hassle. While JUCE (for instance) is pretty cross-platform friendly, and audio plugins don't tend to be quite as tied to platforms as, say, games -- there's still a cost to even get started developing in another OS.

Even if I were to start selling plugins (I don't plan to) instead of giving them away, it would take a certain amount of scale before I'd even consider it worthwhile to buy a Mac, learn to use it, get various plugin hosts installed and working, get an IDE/compiler installed and working, and then add extra steps to the release process for every plugin. (Ditto for Linux etc.)

On a commercial scale, support can be a big time-consuming, resource-burning headache. More builds means more ways your stuff can break. From blogs I've read, Apple in particular tends to create compatibility issues every time the OS updates.

foosnark wrote: On a commercial scale, support can be a big time-consuming, resource-burning headache. More builds means more ways your stuff can break. From blogs I've read, Apple in particular tends to create compatibility issues every time the OS updates.
That's actually what i don't understand about Bitwig's decision to support Linux. I mean, as much of a bliss it is for Linux users, the copies they sell for the Linux version will be highly limited, and they have the hassle of having to provide support for Linux. I can't imagine that paying out in any case. Especially as Linux can be quite problematic in terms of stability, and the whole Linux audio thing is pretty alpha.

Seems shady if they were a big company. I'm just a user, I don't care of the details, if you think I'll get dongles for example, you'll be stuck with them to stir your mint iced tea.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

surely it also brings in more revenue too?
if you provide software for both pc and mac you have a larger pool of possible customers than if you only provide for one or the other.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”