IK Multimedia SampleTank 3.0 warning - it's 64-bit only

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Examigan wrote:On the ST3 specs page, it says:

"SampleTank is a 64-bit Plug-in and requires a 64 bit CPU and Operating System."

Seems pretty clear to me.
Would including Daw in that, help?
rsp
sound sculptist

mpoirier wrote: Of course there was no mention of this fact in the advertizement at the time of purchase...
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/sa ... nk-3-specs
About 3/4 of the way down the page it says that its 64 bit only. I am personally surprised that they didn't do a 32 bit version though.

Of all the things IK Multimedia would have thought about being critisized for, I think that even on the heaviest mushrooms this one was imagined by nobody.
The major reason why most of us have been so desperate to buy this is to get our system as free of 32-bit plugins as possible. 32-bit is what we all want to say goodbye to, so I have full understanding for why IK did not warn people that it´s not a 32-bit plugin.
What´s the big deal anyway with buying jbridge for 10-20 EUR if a 64-bit DAW is no go for you?

Best Regards

Jesper
Best Regards

Roman Empire

well, not all people had a problem with 32-bit-only status for ST2. these people are those that are probably now complaining about lack of 32-bit version - because now they are forced to use a bridge or upgrade to 64-bit.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

As far as I know, there are no bridges in this direction. Most bridges allow people to run 32bit plugins on a 64bit host. Not the other way around. Most 64bit bit plugins also provide 32bit operability in 32bit hosts. This is the first time I've heard of a 64bit plugin not doing so.

some people are still using 32bit hosts for a variety of reasons. They are the minority by now and If IK does not want to support them, that's fine, but they should just make it clear that this plugin does not work in 32bit hosts, unlike everything else that I can think of that does.
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

zvenx wrote:
Examigan wrote:On the ST3 specs page, it says:

"SampleTank is a 64-bit Plug-in and requires a 64 bit CPU and Operating System."

Seems pretty clear to me.
Would including Daw in that, help?
rsp
64bit CPU and OS does not refer to the DAW, so yes, it has to expliclitly state that the plugin requires a 64bit DAW or plugin host.

Dewdman42 wrote:As far as I know, there are no bridges in this direction. Most bridges allow people to run 32bit plugins on a 64bit host. Not the other way around. Most 64bit bit plugins also provide 32bit operability in 32bit hosts. This is the first time I've heard of a 64bit plugin not doing so.

some people are still using 32bit hosts for a variety of reasons. They are the minority by now and If IK does not want to support them, that's fine, but they should just make it clear that this plugin does not work in 32bit hosts, unlike everything else that I can think of that does.
jbridge does 32 to 64 and 64 to 32 bridging...

That's good to know. Still IK needs to point this out prior to sale that jbridge or equivelent will be required to run ST3 on 32bit hosts.

Dewdman42 wrote:That's good to know. Still IK needs to point this out prior to sale that jbridge or equivelent will be required to run ST3 on 32bit hosts.
There are quotes and screenshots of how we point out that SampleTank 3 is 64-bit and the concerns by a few here have been forwarded too.

saying something is 64bit is not clear enough. Most 64bit plugins continue to operate in 32bit hosts. Its implicit that it ought to operate in 32bit hosts, just like most everything else, particularly larger and more reputable products such as this one.

Change it to say "64bit-only" and then it will be clear.

Dewdman42 wrote:64bit CPU and OS does not refer to the DAW, so yes, it has to expliclitly state that the plugin requires a 64bit DAW or plugin host.
No problem using 64 bit plugs in FL Studio which for the time being is 32 bits.

That's interesting. Indeed.

I've not seen a 32 bit host accept 64 bit plugs. The other way around, yes.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
Last edited by dsan@mail.com on Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Dewdman42 wrote:saying something is 64bit is not clear enough. Most 64bit plugins continue to operate in 32bit hosts. Its implicit that it ought to operate in 32bit hosts, just like most everything else, particularly larger and more reputable products such as this one.

Change it to say "64bit-only" and then it will be clear.
There are quotes and screenshots of how we point out that SampleTank 3 is 64-bit and the concerns by a few here have been forwarded too.
Thank you again for your input. See emphasis above.

As for 64-bit CPU or OS, I think the ST3 documentation is misleading. It needs a 64-bit runtime and application running in 64-bit mode. You could theoretically have a 32-bit CPU running a 32-bit OS with a 64-bit OS, not efficient but it would not break any apps or plug-ins that require 64-bit mode.

For example, MAcOSX 10.9 has a combined 64-bit and 32-bit runtime, depending on the app it could run in either mode. If it would be 64-bit only a lot of applications and plug-ins would break in 32-bit mode. Even if most of OS is 64-bit and Macintosh systems run 64-bit chips with lots of 128-bit and higher internal data buses.

dsan@mail.com wrote:I've not seen a 32 bit host accept 64 bit plugs. The other way around, yes.
I'm using Win 7 64 bit, FL Studio 11.1 runs 32 and 64 bit plugs just fine :)

Return to “Instruments”