Which is more important for BITWIG performance multicore or single core?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys..

While I'll await the ability to bypass effects and synths to save CPU, I started looking into upgrading my current setup (which is late 2011 Macbook Pro) - I came across this Geek Bench benchmark list, which shows comparable performance scores for all available macs, and it splits them by single core 32bit, multicore 32 bit, single core 64 bit and multicore 64 bit.

I'm using 64 bit, but where I got confused was single or multicore being more important. I know that Bitwig uses multicore when possible, but I also know that 2 processes that rely on each other in some way (like the reverb applied to a synth) has to all be process by one core.. So, im having difficulty choosing an upgrade to my system, to get the most bang for buck in terms of CPU.

Here's the website by the way so you know what i'm referring to.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

Any views would be appreciated :)

The more the better. Get a 12core Macpro and you'll be set lol
Jared F

I know you were joking, but that kinda emphasizes my point! - Not that I could afford it, but a 12 core mac pro might be current best at multicore cpu use, but is no where near as good as a 4 core MacBook Pro (15-inch Retina Mid 2014) using a single core.. this is why the question arises.. I'm wondering if due to the way audio is processed and wha tends to create the big cpu issues, having better top single core performance and a more mid range multicore performance might be the way to go..?

For the price of one of those so called top-tier MacPros you can get about 6-10 of my current i7 6 core overclocked @4.1 GHz PCs with SSD, a good Nvidia GPU and a lot of space for drives, 20 USB connections etc..
"Bang for Buck" isn't to be found anywhere near those Apple bins. ;-)
And it's possibly one of the most inflexible computers ever built. I guess that only a handful of applications are actually able to benefit from those double (ATI-) GPUs etc..

With Laptops the field isn't as spread out into the absurd and if you want a Mac, I don't really think Single vs. Multicore performance makes much of a difference - there's not too much choice anyway.

If your typical projects would only contain one plugin heavy track, then Single Core would be most important, since DAWs can't spread the load of individual tracks to multiple cores. But some Plugins actually can, like Diva, Bazille, Kontakt etc., so even there the field is getting blurry.

If you on the other hand mostly have projects with lightweight, but many tracks, multicore performance may become more important, but there are a lot of other factors too, like your audio device(s), your I/O system (all that audio needs to be delivered in time - the CPU has little influence on that), GPU... All have an impact and one bad component can drag other stuff down.

Just my private, personal 2 cent though ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

I agree the macpro is over priced thus I'll be building a hackentosh next. I just can't imagine ever using winblows ever again. I've installed it on bootcamp but it's user experience is AWEFUL!!
Jared F

Return to “Bitwig”