good grief color themes for live are awful!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

theme is finished see other thread.
Last edited by AstralExistence on Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:55 pm, edited 24 times in total.

this looks quite good.
"It dreamed itself along"

That is definitely the nicest looking Live theme I've ever seen. And, yes, every other theme I've ever seen is just hideous.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

I like the original. It's clean and lean.

Last edited by AstralExistence on Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

I like and use the dark one - god knows why it's called "Disco" though (maybe a joke?) - pretty much the same colour set as Bitwig

There was a great Maschine inspired scheme for Live 8 but it doesn't work properly in Live 9

https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php ... chine+skin

I like the default one or my own:

Download here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/3adn2 ... eyblue.ask
dedication to flying

Last edited by AstralExistence on Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hibidy wrote:I like the original. It's clean and lean.
my thought as well.

:edit:
Last edited by AstralExistence on Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:37 am, edited 5 times in total.

I think those look great!

bluedad wrote:
hibidy wrote:I like the original. It's clean and lean.
my thought as well.

me too...

AstralExistence wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:I like and use the dark one - god knows why it's called "Disco" though (maybe a joke?) - pretty much the same colour set as Bitwig

There was a great Maschine inspired scheme for Live 8 but it doesn't work properly in Live 9

https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php ... chine+skin
i know that's what i used before i found the sonic bloom themes. its true, they don't.
Different strokes, different folks.. I like the "disco" theme, with the one exception being the piano roll where it's difficult to see subdivisions. Other than that, it's the theme I always wanted. I used to create more than a few of my own themes, but eventually settled on the default before using "Disco".

Not a fan of your theme in the OP. But hey, whatever floats your boat. I'd still never get rid of a program simply because of the color scheme (well at least not for something as subtle as the default Live theme). Glad you found what works for you.

What was said about the lines being hard to see ^^^

That seems to be the reason I just keep it stock. I can see everything and use everything.

this is actually quite a fascinating topic to me. Tracktion and Ableton both employ and evangelize a reduction in skeuomorphism and an increase in modeless operation to varying degrees. The result is I have found them to be the most intuitive/shallowest learning curve DAWs, in that order. I think both are brilliant in many ways.

One argument against skeuomorphism was that it is only needed as a transition between technologies, to provide visual cues to the old and familiar. So since many DAW customers never worked OTB with hardware, it is not needed, especially if it interferes with functionality....For example using knobs instead of sliders when the interface is a mouse. While true, the downside with some of these 2D flat vector graphic designs stressing efficiency,....is for many people they are just flat out boring to look at and decrease enjoyment. "The visual detail of skeuomorphism keeps the look and feel interesting, complex, and visually alive. Some people prefer skeuomorphism because mimicking 3D objects sort of helps many people associate the screen objects with real life 3D objects and that is something that is very human simply because the real world is 3dimensional. Humans have evolved for millions of years living in a 3D world. Our familiarity and ease of use in dealing with 3D objects, whether physical or virtual, may never change. And a large part of that is the intuitive feel you get when things look like…well real things! not abstractions that you've never met before, that were imagined in someone else’s head as interpretations or representations of something else in a very intangential manner." Apparently, this just makes lots of people's heads hurt to have to deal with such abstractions.

I never truly realized this until my ex wanted to get back into music, and I put a lil rig together for her and introduced her to ableton. She had become tired of always waiting for engineers, paying for their time, and most often not liking the results or not having them take direction or listen to her. She was mentally prepared for a learning curve, understood the process/steps, knew what she wanted, was excited, and motivated. She had had some previous experience learning to get around lower level cakewalk products, and more recently garageband, but after a very short period of time trying to get up and running with ableton, ...seemingly on a subconscious level it literally sucked all the creativity and life out of her!

I actually know quite a few people who after falling in love with live functionally, became miserable from looking at it regularly ;-)
Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”