Help me pick virtual instruments to get back into production

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I used to make music on a Roland JX-305 Groovesynth. I outgrew it, started researching computer-based solutions, but then hit major creative block and dropped out for several years. I'm trying to get back into production and need help finding a set of virtual instruments/sounds to start with.

I also need a DAW, but that's second priority to the instrument set. I'd prefer a setup that lets me get back into production with the least amount of friction.

My primary style interests are epic and high energy EDM, trance, and a little hardstyle, but I branch out quite a bit.

Reason seems good except the virtual rack interface pains me and I like VSTs without ReWire. I'll consider it. Ableton Live looks tempting and the demos of their instrument packs sound great. Someone liked Komplete better than Live's instruments, but then I'd need a DAW. My budget is $300 to $500, with a hope I can upgrade/expand later.

Here are some things I know I need:
  • A synth capable of detailed, high quality trance leads. Supports Unison. Tube-modeled distortion would be good, but could be a separate effect.
  • Five or ten drum kits covering styles like trance, house, or hardstyle. Modern sounds. Please no TR-808/909.
  • One or two synths good for bass lines, covering the same styles as above. A reimagined TB-303 would be okay, but please more modern sounds as well.
  • Reasonably high quality strings.
  • Some smooth, pad type sounds, but not 80's/90's sounding.
  • At least one reasonably high quality piano.
  • A synth good at random, hard to classify textures.
  • A really high quality reverb that can do a "huge" reverb sound.
  • Side-chaining or other range compression.
That should get me started. Anything else will be a nice bonus. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

synths for trance leads - Sylenth1 and Tone2 Firebird. And yeah, Synth1.
drum kits - do a search for Erkan's organized drum samples. He has some monstrous kit samples. I love the Paramour snare and the Unbelievable Pearl Forum kick drum. Man!!!
Bass line synths... I can't recommend for that, my bass tones tend to be pretty dissapointing. But I like the Tube=Ohm stuff.
high quality piano - the best ones for zero lag and latency are the MDA piano and 4Front piano. If you've got a killer rig, you can use about anything.
texture synths... HG Fortune. and DSK Darkness, DSK Ethereal.
Side Chaining... Lazy Kenneth. Most DAW's do it pretty well now. I like Reaper, because Riffworks can't use VSTi synths.
strings... Benoit Serrano is the king of strings, I say.

Hope this helps!

I'd say get Komplete 9 (it's on sale at the moment) and a cheap DAW like Reaper or Energy XT.

I have some suggestions to look into.

The Roland System 1 comes now with a new VST which is the same thing as the hardware but in the same package and can be used independtendtly too. Cool if you want to "stand out".

The main synths these says are.

Sylenth1
Synthmaster
Dune
Kontakt
and
ZEta

I suggest looking into Synthmaster for you. It tens to freeze up one me, but its modern, and I think it fits exactly what your looking for.'

Synthmaster has lots of cool sounds and oscillators. Its sound ranges well into its Roland, Oberheim, Juno, ARP and other oscillator choices.

It pulls a cool kinda electro sound and classy trance sound. Can do cool 303s I think too.

Definately the "modern" choice aside from System 1 by Roland.

Cakewalk makes Roland syths too by Rapture which isn't that versatile and sounds like Tiesto for the most part. God for metal too.
With ABleton Live Saturator which I highly recommend I can get Sylenth1 to sound really really similar to what you think of when you hear A Virus if not exactly. Its the mainstream sound too. Ableton Live gives me issues unfortunately and they haven't fixed them all along.fix them
Ableton Live 8 Suite 64 Bit, Sylenth1 64 Bit,Rapture, Zeta+2,Synthmaster, Dimenison Pro, Mo' Phatt. and Waves plugs.
DELL i-3770 3.9ghz, 12GB RAM, INTEL SSD,
M-Audio Bx8 D2
Oxygen 49
TC ELECTRONIC impact twin 64 Bit
Fast Track Plus
Grace and love

Oh you can pick up and M auidio Interface with a small version of ableton for 99. great for learning.
Ableton Live 8 Suite 64 Bit, Sylenth1 64 Bit,Rapture, Zeta+2,Synthmaster, Dimenison Pro, Mo' Phatt. and Waves plugs.
DELL i-3770 3.9ghz, 12GB RAM, INTEL SSD,
M-Audio Bx8 D2
Oxygen 49
TC ELECTRONIC impact twin 64 Bit
Fast Track Plus
Grace and love

c_bomb wrote:I'd say get Komplete 9 (it's on sale at the moment) and a cheap DAW like Reaper or Energy XT.

+1 for K9, its got a lot of good drums and synths. You should be able to find what you need in here.

If you have already considered it, and you want to have it simple, and in the box, why not go the Reason way? At least it would prevent you from having to inform yourself about, and get loads of plugins i guess. It will be way less expensive too. Not sure about a "high quality piano" in Reason though. But maybe there's something available as a rack extension then.

Harmor,by image line, is really good for pads,plucks and leads.
It also has built in effects such as reverb,delay ,chorus and distortion.
As well as a built in compressor
It's pretty good for trance and hard hitting EDM as well as ambient sounds.
Seriously,it's a powerful additive/subtractive synth

It also allows for really easy sound design,
Try out the demo
But it does come with FL studio

This is absolutely awesome, folks. Thanks! I genuinely appreciate the insight. It'll save me a lot of time surveying the landscape. Maybe sometime soon I'll have something to share ;) And if anyone else has more suggestions, feel free to post.

I mentioned Tube-Ohm, but I forgot to say U-he synths as well...

I always thought komplete to be a bit 'overkill', but with respect to your list of requirements, i think it the perfect recommendation :shrug:

Igrewsome wrote: Bass line synths... I can't recommend for that, my bass tones tend to be pretty dissapointing. But I like the Tube=Ohm stuff.
Voyager. Hard to find but worth it. I think it's the "Mr. Toast" presets that have some great deep bass options to start from.

Edit: Here: https://web.archive.org/web/20111210020 ... ducts.html

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:I always thought komplete to be a bit 'overkill', but with respect to your list of requirements, i think it the perfect recommendation :shrug:
It's always overkill, but once you have more than a few NI instruments, it starts to make sense from a financial point of view. And, like you said, it would be perfect for the OP.
Only thing missing would be a reverb, sure, Reflektor is in there, but I would add Valhalla VintageVerb for another $50 and be done. Well, be done until GAS hits obviously ;)

Spire and the banks for it. Best trance vst out there. t-force alpha is also very very good and free. http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=1426
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

FL Studio could be another good option for you. The signature bundle gives you almost everything you'll need, including Sytrus - a high quality FM/Additive hybrid synth with 3 multi mode filters on board, and waveshaping distortion. You could then add Harmor or any other synth you like if you desire.
It's definitely worth checking out, and also you get lifetime free updates :)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”