Does the Cubase Midi editor have a "Select all following " like in Logic?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I want to select a note in the midi editor and have a command that selects all follow notes of all pitches just like Logic does . Reaper , Studio One and Fruity Loops or Samplitude doesn't have it so does Cubase have it?

Also is Fruity Loops the only one that lets you group midi notes?
Asus Z97-A| i7 4770K|32GB DDR3|Samsung 850 Pro 512 SSD System|Crucial 960gb SSD A/V|Crucial 960 SSD Samples|GTX 960 2GB|RME Raydat|Windows 10 x64, Philips 40" 4K
My Samplitude/Sequoia Tutorials are here :
http://www.youtube.com/kraznet

There is a "From Cursor to End" and some variations of that based on the channel or note filters.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

SJ_Digriz wrote:There is a "From Cursor to End" and some variations of that based on the channel or note filters.
Thanks. So I'm guessing the the filter can be configured to select all notes beyond the cursor. Unfotunately my 30 day trial has run out so I can test it.
Asus Z97-A| i7 4770K|32GB DDR3|Samsung 850 Pro 512 SSD System|Crucial 960gb SSD A/V|Crucial 960 SSD Samples|GTX 960 2GB|RME Raydat|Windows 10 x64, Philips 40" 4K

that doesn't need a filter. If no filter is set it literally selects ALL notes after the cursor. But, you can control that by octave, pitch, controller etc... For example you can ctrl+click on the piano note and it will select all items of that pitch.

There are a few things Logic has the Cubase doesn't, same for Reaper and Sonar. They all have some little thing that is convenient. I don't do Mac, so can't comment on Logic directly, but I do have Sonar X3 and Reaper and they don't stack up to the Cubase MIDI editor.

For example, Reapers Arp Painter, Chord pallet and simple input key filter are excellent. But the convoluted and confusing way they implemented multi-track/multi-instance/multi-event editing and visibility is just WOW awful.

The Sonar smart tool is actually pretty nice in the MIDI editor, although it is annoying outside of it. Again, multi-track editing is crappy in comparison to Cubase though. Sonar Input/Output routing is still better because it directly supports MIDI environments (full channel/port configuration per track) like Cubase used to.

Just a couple off the top of my head.

Thanks for your input. I have Sonar but couldn't find a similar function either. Would note selection work in Cubase Elements as well ?

Kraznet wrote:Thanks for your input. I have Sonar but couldn't find a similar function either. Would note selection work in Cubase Elements as well ?
I have no idea, I have always had regular Cubase.

The depth of Cubase midi selection and editing is pretty astounding. You can use the logical editor and logical editor presets right from the midi menu.

Bitwig Certified Trainer

Thanks again. Looks very cool and extensive. I found the comparison page and the Logical Editor is only in Cubase 7.5 which is way beyond my budget for now.

Problem solved. I've just discovered an undocumented way to do it in Samplitude :-). Hold down Shift + Alt then double-click on the 1st note and all following notes of all pitches are selected. Alternatively to select all following of a single note hold down Alt and double-click on the 1st note and all following notes of that pitch are selected.

Cubase has IMO the strongest midi implementation/editor. Selecting midi notes of the same pitch works very easy with shift+double click but only in the same event/part. If selecting multiple parts and to select all notes of the same pitch in this different parts it need a menu command (but this can be mapped to keyboard command if often used). There is also the option to select only same pitch in the same octave or in different octaves.

Kraznet wrote:Thanks again. Looks very cool and extensive. I found the comparison page and the Logical Editor is only in Cubase 7.5 which is way beyond my budget for now.
Elements have this from cursor to end.
And some other stuff for same pitch, octave etc.

But maybe that is overruled now.

Kraznet wrote:I want to select a note in the midi editor and have a command that selects all follow notes of all pitches just like Logic does . Reaper , Studio One and Fruity Loops or Samplitude doesn't have it so does Cubase have it?
In Studio One it's the "Last Event Extend" action which works on notes or clips. In the menu (Edit | Select), it''s named "Select From Event to End".

4damind wrote:Cubase has IMO the strongest midi implementation/editor.
Although I typically despise proclamations of 'best' this and that because it's the very rare bird who really knows them all fluently enough to even say that, I have to kinda agree on this point. There has quite literally never been anything I wanted to do - midi edit wise - that the Midi Logical Editor and the other tools weren't capable of.

No clue if it's the best, but I'd be surprised - as relates to working midi editing functions, filters, edits, selections, etc, do this and that with these notes in this range under these conditions, etc, etc - if there's very much that's not possible there somehow. I've not seen another sequencer that can target midi notes in just about any way imaginable, like below.

Example: Select all notes between bars 123 & 212 except for C3 & D3. The permutations there are almost endless. What really sets it apart is the boolean logic, and doing these kinds of complex note selections and edits without ever even opening a piano roll or list editor.

That being said, it's still Cubase everywhere else, not my personal cup o' joe anymore.

LawrenceF wrote:Although I typically despise proclamations of 'best' this and that
Yep, even though -> I <- (universal I) like it doesn't make it the best. And, as I pointed out, there are some amazing unique features in pretty much every host I've tried that I would love to have in all the others.

I'm with you on the "what is the best xxx" talk is all a bunch of crap.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”