Airwave - yet another WINE VST bridge for Linux (April 12 update)

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I couldn't find it with that command, but I did find by doing a search that I have only one instance of libwinecrt0.a, in /usr/lib64/wine.

I've already acquired every package on this list (http://wiki.winehq.org/WineOn64bit#head ... 86f6192f2f)

=|

Seems like I've got mostly everything from this list, too
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Wine?rd= ... rfert/Wine

(I'm running and AMD64 bit system, fyi)

Devogenes, then it seems, that you have only 64-bit wine installed. I think Fedora should have multilib wine package, which contains both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Sadly, I don't know how to install it, but maybe some Fedora user here can give instructions.

PS: I found a message, which refers to these package names: wine.i686 wine.x86_64. Maybe this could help you.

Trying to install the wine i686 package failed on account of it conflicting with the current wine installation. =|

So that confuses me. Should I reinstall with just the i686 package?

The awesome news though is that StudioDave's tarball totally worked for me. I got synplant up and running and registered. The GUI is working, it's interacting with Bitwig, but it seems to disable the audio output whenever it's opened. (EDIT: this seems to have been solved by running it in an independent process)

Also, interestingly it seems that Bitwig is only recognizing the 32 bit version of the plugin, though I've got both 64 and 32 bit VSTs bridged. I would have suspected the opposite since it seems my wine is 64 bit.

Definitely not running perfectly, get's pretty glitchy when I introduce automation and I get some playback glitches. Made some progress though, sure did.

EDIT: For some reason I can't get BWS to recognize Microtonic. It also seems like the playback glitch might not have anything to do with Airwave.

Code: Select all

com.bitwig.flt.library.metadata.reader.exception.CouldNotReadMetadataException: could not read metadata: Could not read VST plug-in metadata
64 bit plugin host reported errors: Pluginhost returned non zero exit code 255

32 bit plugin host reported errors: Pluginhost returned non zero exit code 139
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Dave are you using a 32bit installation of wine?

@localhost ~]$ wine --version
wine-1.7.22
Last edited by Devogenes on Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Devogenes wrote: ...StudioDave's tarball totally worked for me. I got synplant up and running and registered. The GUI is working, it's interacting with Bitwig, but it seems to disable the audio output whenever it's opened. (EDIT: this seems to have been solved by running it in an independent process)
Good to hear the binaries work for you. Also good to hear of your Synplant success, I'll try it again as an independent process.
Dave are you using a 32bit installation of wine?

@localhost ~]$ wine --version
wine-1.7.22
I have 32-bit and 64-bit versions:

[dlphilp@localhost bin]$ wine --version
wine-1.7.19
[dlphilp@localhost bin]$ wine64 --version
wine-1.7.19
Best,

dp

Hey, update. Bitwig is picking up microtonic now too. Still getting some weird issues with slowness now and then, but the GUIs seem to be working fine.

:tu:

You're a hero phantom.

I found some issues with ReFX Nexus2 (hangs) and all VSTs that can resize its windows. Trying to fix now.

Is there a way to make the Drag&Drop feature from Steven Slate Drums 4 work?
On windows/Protools, you can select a drum loop and drop is as Midi on a track.
On Bitwig/Linux, the drag seems to produce something but the drop does not work there is a forbidden sign at mouse location when the mouse is over a track.
I don't know what kind of data is actually dragged, is there a way to check it? It might be some proprietary SSD4 format...
Midi D&D works from the file system explorer (nautilus).

a++
Bzerk.

Bzerk, I'm not 100% sure, but I think it is a wine issue. I saw wine patch, that fixes drag and drop in NI Kontakt, for example. Did you try Steven Slate Drums 4 with windows VST host (Cocos Reaper for example) under wine? If drag'n'drop works there, then it is not wine fault.

No I am not familiar with those hosts, I will have a look at it. Thanks!

phantom-one wrote:Bzerk, I'm not 100% sure, but I think it is a wine issue. I saw wine patch, that fixes drag and drop in NI Kontakt, for example. Did you try Steven Slate Drums 4 with windows VST host (Cocos Reaper for example) under wine? If drag'n'drop works there, then it is not wine fault.
(I apologize in advance, for seeming to futz over the wording of where a fault may lie,
I'm sure I have offered it myself at times :oops: as it can be right in many cases.
I'll blame my ramblings on some strong iced coffees :hihi: )

I think this conclusion would imply that all hosts have the same quality of
drag/drop support, and that windows has narrow, high quality drag/drop code,
rather than broad swathes of spaghetti code, to be sussed by the wine team.
Wine could implement an important portion of that code, such that some hosts work,
and still miss other parts. The quality of the windows version, host, wine, and plugin,
all must be very high, for these things to work together.

A wine patch would not fix something in kontakt/plugins, bitwig,or reaper,
but would only enable more accurate communications/connectivity between
the apps.

I admire your skill, and appreciate your generosity, in working out these issues,
you are making the future brighter for musians using linux, bitwig, and
the many windows apps working well when using wine 8)
Cheers

Well, usually drag and drop code works in Windows with almost any VST host, so I can make a conclusion, that the Windows itself, VST plugins and VST hosts have good code quality. In Linux there are two major components, which non-exists in Windows world and which could break drag'n'drop: WINE and VST bridge. The Airwave just sends all window messages to the VST plugin, so it should get all necessary commands to perform drag'n'drop. If it does not work, then it could be my mistake of course, but I have very few places, where I could be mistaken. I will look closely to that problem one more time.

PS: I found that patch for wine - NI-drag-and-drop.patch. I'm not sure again, but as far as I could tell, this patch implements mouse tracking functionality for OLE, which is lacked in wine. Wine team didn't accept this patch, so there is something wrong with it. Maybe it is just a rough workaround or maybe it breaks something else. Anyway, this feature is not implemented currently in the wine, that's why NI has non-working drag'n'drop.

That kinda raises the eyebrow at bitwig itself, as a newcomer
in this scenario. It would be great if someday there
were a team developing a version of wine for just audio and video,
without regard to Microsoft Office and sundry business apps,
but that might require an asteroid strike, to slow the earths rotation,
allowing 30 hour days. Hard enough to eek a life out of just 24...
Cheers

Hi I'm trying to build this on Ubuntu studio after a number of failed attempts I'm asking for some help.

output of cmake:

The C compiler identification is GNU 4.8.2
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU 4.8.2
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
-- VSTSDK_PATH is set to /home/nick/airwave/vstsdk2.4
-- VST SDK headers are found in /home/nick/airwave/vstsdk2.4/pluginterfaces/vst2.x
-- Looking for include file pthread.h
-- Looking for include file pthread.h - found
-- Looking for pthread_create
-- Looking for pthread_create - not found
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthreads
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthreads - not found
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthread
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthread - found
-- Found Threads: TRUE  
-- Found LibDL: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so  
-- Looking for XOpenDisplay in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so;/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXext.so
-- Looking for XOpenDisplay in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so;/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXext.so - found
-- Looking for gethostbyname
-- Looking for gethostbyname - found
-- Looking for connect
-- Looking for connect - found
-- Looking for remove
-- Looking for remove - found
-- Looking for shmat
-- Looking for shmat - found
-- Found X11: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so
-- Looking for Q_WS_X11
-- Looking for Q_WS_X11 - found
-- Looking for Q_WS_WIN
-- Looking for Q_WS_WIN - not found
-- Looking for Q_WS_QWS
-- Looking for Q_WS_QWS - not found
-- Looking for Q_WS_MAC
-- Looking for Q_WS_MAC - not found
-- Found Qt4: /usr/bin/qmake (found version "4.8.6") 
-- libmagic version: 5.14
-- Found LibMagic: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libmagic.so  
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to:
output of make

Scanning dependencies of target airwave-host-32
[  1%] Building CXX object host/CMakeFiles/airwave-host-32.dir/__/common/dataport.cpp.o
In file included from /home/nick/airwave/common/types.h:4:0,
                 from /home/nick/airwave/common/dataport.h:5,
                 from /home/nick/airwave/common/dataport.cpp:1:
/usr/include/c++/4.8/cstddef:41:28: fatal error: bits/c++config.h: No such file or directory
 #include <bits/c++config.h>
                            ^
compilation terminated.
winegcc: g++ failed
make[2]: *** [host/CMakeFiles/airwave-host-32.dir/__/common/dataport.cpp.o] Error 2
make[1]: *** [host/CMakeFiles/airwave-host-32.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
Any ideas? TIA :)

Install g++-multilib package

Return to “Bitwig”