DP8 Windows Useless Here!!!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

machinesworking wrote:
lfm wrote: Waves got these 400 or so plugins - some use both VST and rewire at the same time etc. If a daw fix all this - you are on the safe side.
I suppose, but Waves are also a mature company, there are plenty of lone coders coding plug ins that can have issues. Waves compatibility won't mean that a plug in can't crash DP, and what with Waveshell it doesn't even mean that their current VST implementation isn't solid.
My remark was purely about whether DP has gone through the necessary patches on windows platform - to be a safe prospect for buyers. Not that no plugin would ever crash DP.

Most daws I've tested has settings to make a plugin run in a separate process - making it able to crash on it's own without taking the daw down with it. But in the end it's an issue with the plugin vendor that cause this.

I check supported hosts at Waves every two month or so to see if DP show up.

I like the ability to work in chunks, as they call it. I often find the need for rearrange parts of a song, extend some bars or a verse, another break etc. DP could simplify this quite a bit sinc eeach chunk is selfcontained - you can swap things around easily. Perfect for making video, but for songmaking as well.

spaceman wrote:I can't believe it.
Two pages in and no one has mentioned Reaper yet.
Wrong!
Orbit-50 wrote:I remember going out late at night and hunting down Reaper and FL Studio users and beating them with a Nike athletic sock filled with quarters because they were scum that used cheap inferior software compared to the DAW that I used.
Back on something like topic, I just built a new computer from component parts. It was regularly crashing, but only several hours after starting up and never while I was using it. (Most often in the middle of the night.) Total lock-up crash. Not even a BSOD. All computer lights still on, no HD activity or screen output. It's long, slow testing when the failure takes up to 18 hours.

So it took me a long time to figure out that it was the graphics card - manufactured by the same company as the motherboard. I still have no idea why that was causing problems or why it only happened when nothing was really running.

Computer issues are weird. The only real certainty you can have is that any piece of software will fail for someone, no matter how solid it is for anyone else.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

pough wrote: Computer issues are weird. The only real certainty you can have is that any piece of software will fail for someone, no matter how solid it is for anyone else.
I thnk we can agree on another: Any problem can be solved, provided there is enough time, will and dedication devoted to solve it.
Fernando (FMR)

lfm wrote:
My remark was purely about whether DP has gone through the necessary patches on windows platform - to be a safe prospect for buyers. Not that no plugin would ever crash DP.

Most daws I've tested has settings to make a plugin run in a separate process - making it able to crash on it's own without taking the daw down with it. But in the end it's an issue with the plugin vendor that cause this.

I check supported hosts at Waves every two month or so to see if DP show up.

I like the ability to work in chunks, as they call it. I often find the need for rearrange parts of a song, extend some bars or a verse, another break etc. DP could simplify this quite a bit sinc eeach chunk is selfcontained - you can swap things around easily. Perfect for making video, but for songmaking as well.
Yeah the versatility of Chunk is what drew me away from Logic, and after using Live for so long, thinking of songs as blocks of parts appeals to me.

Have to say that I only know of a DAW or two that can survive a plug in crashing, most go down.

Old post, I know, but just want to continue if someone has news. I have the same problems as Orbit using DP8 Windows with video. A real shame, because DP8 does a lot of the things I want my other programs to do. The short explanation of my problem is that I can run a video with 20 tracks of audio and 10 plugins in Sonar with absolutely no problems, and the same video with no plugins in DP8 makes the whole thing slow down to unusable speed. The other main problem is that every time I use Control Z to undo a process, DP8 gives a warning screen. Then I have to go to the dropdown menu.

I ran the 8.04 trial a year ago.
In october 2013 8.05 came.
Now 8.06 is out(feb 2014) according to MOTU home page.

Check version history or ask their support.

Version history:
http://cdn-data.motu.com/site/docs/dp/v ... readme.pdf

I'm sorry for the OP and others that took a leap. I switched from Windows to OSX years ago exactly so that I can run DP, because for my purposes its the best DAW. I'm happy to see that DP is now available on Windows, but I suspect it will take a while to iron out all the weird little incompatibility issues that are more common on windows. I do think MOTU will address all of these concerns and make the windows DP as reliable as any other product. Myself I had quirky problems with Sonar on windows and Cubase on windows, they were not immune. I couldn't get Cubase midi to be stable no matter what I did and sonar had some weird metronome bugs when using a lot of changing meters. No product is immune from problems. DP on OSX will understandably be more reliable then on windows, they've been building and supporting the mac version for several decades. MOTU is a very good company and I'm confident that their windows version will become just as reliable as the other popular windows DAWs, if not already. But sorry to say, you are early adopters, so you will have to work through these issues and try to be patient with the developer to solve your problems, or considering buying all MOTU hardware. That is another choice I made, to go all MOTU for midi and audio to make sure nobody can point the finger at anybody else. I feel more confident that MOTU is testing their software with their own hardware and taking more complete responsibility to make sure it all works that way, and that would be especially true on Windows. On the mac, a lot of stuff like CoreAudio and CoreMidi is built into the OS and less likely to cause compatibility problems then then the way everything interconnects on windows. Throw video into the picture and its even more complicated. That's why I chose Mac. But its all solvable on windows too and many people do those tasks on windows, but just be prepared to isolate the problems and get your system working, then don't cough on it.
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

As to video, Cubase is known to prefer Quicktime formats, all kind of issues reported and that's the answer. I think QT is basically its engine.
DP coming from Mac basis could be the same way, so I would ask what codec are you giving its video player.

dp8 sucks on windows even the f**king demo wont run on 8.1 load dp 8, demo expired lofl. what a piece of shit. there's no support from windows users in the faq tha says everything.

a bit of thread necromancy, but having been a user for a while nearly a decade ago, i took the plunge on the pc version.
it seems to work pretty well here, and waves plugs do show up.
lenovo i5 laptop, win7 x64, 8gb ram, rme babyface.

the only issue i have is with EQuilibrium in analog phase mode...that invokes slooow gui redraws, delayed signal, etc. in zero latency analog phase mode, though, it behaves just fine.
otherwise, no major issue to report thus far...
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
--
Pooter | Software | Akai MPK-61 | Line 6 Helix | Dynaudio BM5A mk II

kelldammit wrote:a bit of thread necromancy, but having been a user for a while nearly a decade ago, i took the plunge on the pc version.
it seems to work pretty well here, and waves plugs do show up.
lenovo i5 laptop, win7 x64, 8gb ram, rme babyface.

the only issue i have is with EQuilibrium in analog phase mode...that invokes slooow gui redraws, delayed signal, etc. in zero latency analog phase mode, though, it behaves just fine.
otherwise, no major issue to report thus far...
There you go, the main problem on PC is likely due to all the variables in hardware, not the way DP works with the OS. Equilibrium is a pig in high quality mode, on any platform. :)

Nope, I liked it better when we were bashing it. :hihi:

Eyeknow you would! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

machinesworking wrote:Eyeknow you would! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hey caprezz, knock it off! :x :hihi:

hibidy wrote:
machinesworking wrote:Eyeknow you would! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hey caprezz, knock it off! :x :hihi:
You spelled it wrong! :-x

:lol:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”