Memorymoon ME80 going 64 bit

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Breeze wrote:I definitely like the sound of this VI but the GUI needs more work to bring it up to current standards.
Hmm... Didn't you make a typo, here?
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

fluffy_little_something wrote:The user interface doesn't have much to do with SE. In terms of sound the new version is probably better, although I am not sure. I guess if the GUI were twice as big, I would prefer the new one as well, but at its current size I have to prefer the old version, I just can't read anything on the new one.

There should be init patches, especially since there are so many controls.
Fluffy there are many initial patches in ME80 v2.0 & 2.1, I made a large chunk of them myself (those labelled "RG"). Then there is another 128 in the extra bank, I made a lot for that too, updating it today. :D

Watch this space for news regarding the GUI, you will not have to wait long. :D

Rob James G wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:The user interface doesn't have much to do with SE. In terms of sound the new version is probably better, although I am not sure. I guess if the GUI were twice as big, I would prefer the new one as well, but at its current size I have to prefer the old version, I just can't read anything on the new one.

There should be init patches, especially since there are so many controls.
Fluffy there are many initial patches in ME80 v2.0 & 2.1, I made a large chunk of them myself (those labelled "RG"). Then there is another 128 in the extra bank, I made a lot for that too, updating it today. :D

Watch this space for news regarding the GUI, you will not have to wait long. :D
No, I meant init as in initialization. I.e. with all parameters set to zero or a reasonable default, resulting in a very simple sound. Most synths have only one init patch, if any.

BlackWinny wrote:
Breeze wrote:I definitely like the sound of this VI but the GUI needs more work to bring it up to current standards.
Hmm... Didn't you make a typo, here?
Almost been missing your fancy smilies, BlackWinny... ;)

I can't say I'm a fan of many of the presets, but maybe it's because I'm having fun playing with poly aftertouch... there are definitely some good sounds to be gotten out of this synth. I have no first hand experience with a real CS80. Is the Arturia model any better?

Breeze wrote: I can't say I'm a fan of many of the presets, but maybe it's because I'm having fun playing with poly aftertouch... there are definitely some good sounds to be gotten out of this synth. I have no first hand experience with a real CS80. Is the Arturia model any better?
Huh?
Are you saying this as a wind up? :o

This synth is ALL about aftertouch, poly aftertouch and any method of applying aftertouch!
Most of the presets make very good use of aftertouch. Perhaps your DAW does not support aftertouch properly?

This synth was very heavily modelled on a real CS80, and it is used by current CS80 owners that can attest to greater accuracy than experienced with any other attempts.

Breeze wrote:I have a 30" screen and when GUI's are too small they get hard to read at a distance and I use the W7 magnifier to make them bigger
ahhh.. awful idea.
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Just searched the help files of my DAW, no word about aftertouch...
Is that still not a standard feature?

Anyway, what I like about the new version is how the sliders gently change to their new positions when changing patches :) It is not important, but it looks good.

They can also be CC mapped to midi controls on your keyboard.
I did this to alter the sound during performance and achieve additional atonal Beaubourg style effects in this quick improv':
https://soundcloud.com/rob-james-g/aton ... e80v21flac

Perhaps this is not easy listening but the patch is very close to Vangelis's atonal album Beaubourg, which you can find on youtube.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Just searched the help files of my DAW, no word about aftertouch...
Is that still not a standard feature?

Anyway, what I like about the new version is how the sliders gently change to their new positions when changing patches :) It is not important, but it looks good.
Aftertouch is supported by many DAWs, you can see which have been successfully used on the Memorymoon forum.
Some people have had aftertouch issues with Ableton, but I think that can (or has been) solved by Ableton now.

You can also open it in VST Host & similar programs.
Last edited by Rob James G on Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I don't know the hardware, but what I find strange is the way the performance slider appearance changes. How did that work with the hardware? Were they made of elastic material? :hihi:
And why does the change only start at 50 or so?

Also, it seems the whole synth is tuned an octave or two lower than my other synths.
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fluffy,
It sounds like you are having serious compatibility issues. Talk to Gunnar.

First you need a midi-keyboard which support poly aftertouch, very rare nowdays.
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Rob James G wrote:Fluffy,
It sounds like you are having serious compatibility issues. Talk to Gunnar.
What do you mean? The aftertouch? Never mind, I don't really need aftertouch. I don't need it with the kind of music I like and try to make. I was just curious :)

I was just playing around a bit with the ME80 because I finished work for today. But I don't have to actually use it. Actually, I don't think I will, it simply takes me too long to make a patch because there are so many controls. I am more the simple guy with simple needs :) The ME80 must be very nice for synth freaks, though :) Spacey synth brass stuff seems to be one of its big strengths.

I wonder if Chris Kerry will update his own synths as well and make them non-SE.

valerian_777 wrote:First you need a midi-keyboard which support poly aftertouch, very rare nowdays.
I have a Roland A-300 Pro, it is not the latest gear. It says on the site that it has aftertouch, but not which kind. Actually, I dislike that keyboard :P It has too many features, the manual is so comprehensive, I never felt like diving into it. The only good thing about it is the key quality and the fast interface. Maybe I should replace it by one with more keys and fewer controls :hihi:

fluffy_little_something wrote:
valerian_777 wrote:First you need a midi-keyboard which support poly aftertouch, very rare nowdays.
I have a Roland A-300 Pro, it is not the latest gear. It says on the site that it has aftertouch, but not which kind. Actually, I dislike that keyboard :P It has too many features, the manual is so comprehensive, I never felt like diving into it. The only good thing about it is the key quality and the fast interface. Maybe I should replace it by one with more keys and fewer controls :hihi:
It have channel aftertouch not poly. Anyway, i had a A-800 Pro and the aftertouch was totally unusable because it's totally impractical, you have to push the keys very hard to get a bit of result, really laughable.
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Return to “Instruments”