Cubase 7.x Export only renders in Stereo, even if Mono Channel is selected

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Please tell me that I'm missing something here, but this is REALLY annoying me currently.

I have a couple of tracks that I want to comp down, or export, or bounce, or whatever you want to call it.
These tracks are mainly Mono channels, so I want to export in MONO of course.

I start the Cubase export mask, select the channel i want to export, and then import the files again back into the pool and the project.

What do you know... they're stereo now.

So I though "maybe you did a mistake, missed a switch or something". I then activated the "export multichannel" mode, tried the same. The mono channel was once again in Stereo.

The only way I get mono channels, is if I activate "Mono Downmix" (which can cause phasing issues!), or "Split Channels". Then I can reimport mono channels. The thing is, if the "summing bus" is accessed, there is also the pan law involved and therefore throwing off all my careful gain staging settings.

What sorcery is this?!
This BS is driving me crazy!

Why is there a multitrack export function, or a channel selection if it doesn't render in the CORRECT CHANNEL TYPE?! (either Mono or Stereo, according to the source)

And why the funk isn't there an undo function for the mix console?!
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Hi

if I activate "Mono Downmix" (which can cause phasing issues!),

Phasing issues? Never seen that here.

if the "summing bus" is accessed, there is also the pan law involved and therefore throwing off all my careful gain staging settings.

That's why the pan law settings are there to begin with - you need to set them accordingly. What would suck - is if there were no pan law adjustments to begin with.

If you export w/o choosing either Mono Downmix or Split Chs, the resulting file that is created is stereo. That is b/c w/o checking anything, you are telling Cubase that you want the mixdown to be a stereo file. If you don't tell Cubase that you want a mono file, it will not create a mono file; stereo is the default. Which is exactly the way it should be. Cubase is not going to "know" that b/c the ch you are mixing down is mono, that you are going to want a mono file as the end result. It's not that smart. Maybe it should be, but it isn't at this point in time.

Cheers.
UniversalSampling.com "Euphoria" - Percussive Tonal Scoring lib now avail. Check out the Freebie Patch!

So I wasn't going crazy...
The thing is... it (the host) should be(!) smart.

If I select a mono channel, it should render in mono not in stereo.

So multi-track export is good and fine. But of what use is it, if it's either "forced stereo" or "forced mono", but not recognizing what the original track was in terms of type to begin with.

Hooray for new features as ultimate "sale point". :tu:

And then messing it up... :dog:
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:So I wasn't going crazy...

If I select a mono channel, it should render in mono not in stereo.
Not necessarily. But - it might be useful to have it as an option, eg. "retain interleave of original" or whatever.
vespesian (sean)

You're in an amazing state - so stay there.

Reaper has it. ;)

I'm not using Reaper, and I won't switch to another host that soon either.

But thanks for the reminder.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”