So, the new Magix Samplitude Music Studio 2015 is here

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Melodyshine wrote:I just tried Samplitude Music Studio 2015 a few minutes and I immediately found two heavy bugs. One of them made Samplitude Music Studio crash.
Can you tell me what the two bugs are? Then I can report them.
Asus Z97-A| i7 4770K|32GB DDR3|Samsung 850 Pro 512 SSD System|Crucial 960gb SSD A/V|Crucial 960 SSD Samples|GTX 960 2GB|RME Raydat|Windows 10 x64, Philips 40" 4K
My Samplitude/Sequoia Tutorials are here :
http://www.youtube.com/kraznet

Melodyshine wrote:I just tried Samplitude Music Studio 2015 a few minutes and I immediately found two heavy bugs. One of them made Samplitude Music Studio crash.

So, thank you Magix, until now it was a tough decision whether I would continue using Magix products, Samplitude Pro-X was full of bugs, I thought they would finally release something with less bugs, I gave them a last chance, so the relationship is over, now it's finally a really easy decision, thank you.
I ran the 2014 version and one single serious issue - Waves Element Synth kept crashing app. Otherwise fine with me. I really planned to use this further.

Element synth was reported problems was reported about 18 months ago(in ProX as well), and was still not fixed until june now, and as beta in Seqoia as I understand.

Had my last contact with Magix july 4th now, and they still had no idea when this code that fixed Element problem was to be in MS.

"I'm afraid I can't make any certain statement on the near future development regarding this issue. Apparently the problem is related to something in their WaveShell environment. It seems unlikely that this still be fixed in the context of SMS 2014. The next generation is likely to reflect the changes in Samplitude, though. We hope for your understanding."

This was 5 weeks ago and he had no hint that 2015 version is around the corner.

So Magix do have maintenance issues mostly. Products are excellent, support is excellent - it's just maintenance that is worse than bad. Daw software is a complicated matter and shit is bound to happend - so what you do with that is really essential - and have fixes in regular intervals.

In the Steinberg camp at the moment and it seems I'm staying. First time in a long while that everything works. Really odd names on everything, but otherwise I'm good.

So the Element synth fix has appeared in SMS2015 and is fully working and showing up as a VSTi.
Asus Z97-A| i7 4770K|32GB DDR3|Samsung 850 Pro 512 SSD System|Crucial 960gb SSD A/V|Crucial 960 SSD Samples|GTX 960 2GB|RME Raydat|Windows 10 x64, Philips 40" 4K

Kraznet wrote:So the Element synth fix has appeared in SMS2015 and is fully working and showing up as a VSTi.
If that is a question and not a statement, I don't know actually.
I uninstalled it when I got the refund of my money - and 2015 I have not looked at.

Communication is not the best withing Magix, it seems.
We had some contact this spring how internally they were in denial there was a problem, even when Waves clearly said there is one.

I really had to make a decision by this reply I got, and went Steinberg.
Really helpful and good people, Magix, so it was with sadness. When they bought Independence sampler, and I got a free update, I have so cracky internet that 70G download would take about a week. They offered to copy it to a flashdrive for me, if I sent one. And they fixed this. That kind of comitment impress me.

2014 was really good moneys worth, and I suspect 2015 is too. But so is Cubase Elements 7.

It's a statement . I just tested it and it works as expected.

Kraznet wrote:It's a statement . I just tested it and it works as expected.
Thanks, good to know - they did get there eventually.
I'm sure you had a good part in that they fixed it - as a long time tester.
But it was really spring 2013 we reported this.

From start I think Waves screwed up having synth identify as effect that caused this issue - it never hooked up right in Samplitude any version. But everybody else fixed handling it, even plugins like Metaplugin and Patchwork, so Magix were alone having real issue for such a long time.

If I so got a confirmation that is would be fixed so and so - I had a workaround with Metaplugin and Patchwork and even rewire Reaper into Samplitude with Element running there - and it worked just fine.

I just have to know my tools get fixed in time - and they could not give any proper assurance on that. If I am to cut my ties and dwelve into this world full time, I must know vendors are on top of things.

:)

lfm wrote:
Kraznet wrote:So the Element synth fix has appeared in SMS2015 and is fully working and showing up as a VSTi.
If that is a question and not a statement, I don't know actually.
I uninstalled it when I got the refund of my money - and 2015 I have not looked at.

Communication is not the best withing Magix, it seems.
We had some contact this spring how internally they were in denial there was a problem, even when Waves clearly said there is one.

I really had to make a decision by this reply I got, and went Steinberg.
Really helpful and good people, Magix, so it was with sadness. When they bought Independence sampler, and I got a free update, I have so cracky internet that 70G download would take about a week. They offered to copy it to a flashdrive for me, if I sent one. And they fixed this. That kind of comitment impress me.

2014 was really good moneys worth, and I suspect 2015 is too. But so is Cubase Elements 7.
my internet is pretty fast, it still took 48 hours for me to download that 70gig and for some reason when I was all done it still would not open the samples. Kraznet worked very hard with me to figure it out but to no avail until they just sent me the boxed version of Pro-X Suite. That was actually probably my biggest ever issue with software so I feel your pain :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Also in English
http://www.magix.com/gb/samplitude-music-studio/

I edited the first post too.
------------
...and that's all I have to say about it!

Not bad. Not bad at all for the money. SMS 2015 is quite a serious situation at this present time. :D A very nice host by the looks of it. Impressive. :)

Anyone knows if the MidiEditor included in Music Studio can Export MusicXML? I read that Samplitude can, i want to know if this feature has been included in this little brother.
Thanks

marce wrote:Anyone knows if the MidiEditor included in Music Studio can Export MusicXML? I read that Samplitude can, i want to know if this feature has been included in this little brother.
Thanks
I just checked and it looks like that MusicXML export is missing from SMS2015 sorry :(

After downloading (on another computer) and installing the english demo version I had some more time with it.

Some things I really like (the best is probably the new GUI, especially the direction of it, as the implementation is still suffering a bit) I like that some context menu are better arranged now, but some things can be better. For instance, the main buttons I mentioned in another post (rec/edit/etc) should be ”off-able” just like the other sections of transport/markers/etc bar. Why not? Also, the Freeze Track does not show now under right click options on track. For a second I thougth they took it out! But it is there, Alt-Shift-F.

On the other hand, there's alot of screen empty space under the "mix" section for instance, while the mixer itself needs to be enlarged, and can not be, especially when there more tracks in the work. The object editor then, just as the mixer, it's much better to float in it's own window, rather than be restricted to the screen, like I say, with alot of wasted space around it. This I believe needs to be optimized quite heavily, as on my little laptop screen is very difficult to see much, but empty screen, which gets frustrating.

I am happy to see that the instruments sections is still very well represented, the new synths being rather nice (new to my 2013 version). Too bad that Atmos is not there anymore... I think that was simply a brilliant little idea that should've stayed included.

All in all, SMS2015 seems to stay within Magix's way: some old, some new and something borrowed - from the big ProX. :)

It is indeed a nice little program, with some new GUI additions, which is very encouraging for what either later versions or Samplitude's ProX will be. Good direction.
------------
...and that's all I have to say about it!

Kraznet wrote:
marce wrote:Anyone knows if the MidiEditor included in Music Studio can Export MusicXML? I read that Samplitude can, i want to know if this feature has been included in this little brother.
Thanks
I just checked and it looks like that MusicXML export is missing from SMS2015 sorry :(
bad... well, still is a great program. Thanks your answer!

As always, I just had to test 2015 edition as well.

2014 edition looked and felt like a downsized Samplitude ProX.
2015 is something completely different - nothing like Samplitude, don't know if this is based on MusicMaker or something instead.

Some things are really good thinking, in my view of course. The tabs that work like screenset selections for doing recording, editing, mixing and exporting. You could say it's more like a wizard to get a project done - than giving you full control.

You have to struggle a bit to get control of things.

Customization is excellent, both theme can be selected, and menues, keyboard shortcuts and mouse and mousewheel actions are good.

Some things are weird in how mixer works - if you have removed some tracks that were put there as a start for you - and open mixer the 8 tracks are there again. You can try and change this, but it still come back. If you add a track manually, you could not just expand mixer view, you had to scroll. Might be a bug how it works, or I should have watched the introduction video, I don't know.

Default mousewheel action was really strange too, it could work once but then no action whatever you do. I switched assignment to regular scroll of a track to mousewheel, and then Ctrl Mousewheel for vertical zoom, then I was starting to feel I was running the show, not software running me.

If I had 2014 and thought I was to upgrade to 2015 - I would really be disappointed. It's not a sequel at all - it's very different. It's not a downsized Samplitude ProX anymore.

Cubase Elements is a better choice as I see it. But top of the list is still Reaper. After 18 months of alianating myself - I'm back in Reaper camp. It's really no sweat recording/mixing and full control of everything. I can live with a few of my Waves plugins don't work in Reaper. I thought it got to be something better, but starting to doubt that. Stunning piece of software.

I got an offer now to upgrade to Samplitude MS 2015, with a 70% rebate compared to MRSP.

The bait:
"Free highlight: Vandal guitar & bass amplifier available for the first time as a full version"

Is it worth it? It is annoying that it cannot be used outside Samplitude, as Samplitude only allows for Rewire in

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”