Selling IL products...how are people getting around the 'no sale' policy?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'd really like to get rid of my IL account as well. I've not used it since the late 90's. I can't even use if I wanted too as I have a mac. :)

Life time of free updates... Meh! No use to me.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Robmobius wrote:I'd really like to get rid of my IL account as well. I've not used it since the late 90's.
Wow :o Back then Fruity Loops was only a drum machine

Did they offer life time free upgrades at that early point too?

I'm waiting till that Mac version comes out. And I load up my Fruity Loops license from 2000. Then we'll party like it's 1999!

8)

Cool thread.
What's the workaround to get around the terms of usage i agreed to when i bought and installed the software.
How good that we're all so morally integer people who don't use warez and always pay for our software. :hihi: Sorry, can't resist the little side blow. It's funny how people always seem to act in regards of their own beliefs and rules, and how they accept something, while disregarding something else, and trying to get around it. Because, according to law, you have to respect the terms of usage, and in this case, IL doesn't allow reselling the software. Actually, when you're not ok with it, the way to prove your right would be to apply a law suit to make them change their EULA, which noone will do of course. Oh well...

Er, I paid for mine back then... Like $99. I think. I have the utmost respect for a company that honors my "lifetime" license for well, forever. I'm putting my Fruity license in my will!

:clap:

Just to clarify...I wasn't looking for advice on how to beat the system. I just sometimes see some IL stuff up for grabs in the Market Place and wonder how they can resell when the rest of us can't. The same goes for Cakewalk products, KORG etc.
I was half awake when I posted and it was a bleary minded assumption that the guy selling Harmor must have the whole Fruity shebang too, when in fact he probably only has Harmor and that's his entire account. So he's not splitting anything.

Don't get me wrong, i don't see a problem with selling the account either. It's just that some stuff gets radically chased down here in the forums, like using warez, but when people think they're in the right, due to something they've read somewhere (hobby lawyers and stuff), it's ok to discuss ways around it. I don't want to tell you what's wrong or right, you have to decide for yourself. But discussing stuff like this on a site which lives from companies advertising on it is a bit "hm". Because you clearly act against the EULA you accepted when buying the software. Whether this EULA is legitimate or not is another thing. Most EULA's aren't legitimate actually afaik.
Last edited by chk071 on Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Numanoid wrote:
Robmobius wrote:I'd really like to get rid of my IL account as well. I've not used it since the late 90's.

Yes. Famously they did.
I think they actually point this out on their site somewhere.

I didn't jump in until version 4 or 5 and I now have a ton of stuff I never would have imagined back then.

-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

BERFAB wrote:
Numanoid wrote:

Yes. Famously they did.
I think they actually point this out on their site somewhere.

I didn't jump in until version 4 or 5 and I now have a ton of stuff I never would have imagined back then.

-B
I started with FL right when it went from 3 point something to FL4, it's still installed on my laptop and my studio computer. I dont care if I can sell it or not and I actually bought two licenses (one for my son who never uses it, but he still can if he wants). I also feel it's reasonable to not allow transfers of lifetime upgrades, in fact I think it's unreasonable to expect that. I look at the two licenses I bought, how long ago they were and the fact I am one of those who have not bought much else from them and realize how little they made off of me and to continue the lifetime upgrades they need to keep their sales up. The one thing they do not need is to compete with 1000 people underselling FL, I knew the rules going in and I accepted it then so I accept it now...I have no regrets, in fact I am grateful to IL :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

chk071 wrote:Because, according to law, you have to respect the terms of usage, and in this case, IL doesn't allow reselling the software.
At least in Europe, this statement is wrong. EULAs are not law, and agreeing to EULAs that aren't based on actual regulations does not bind you to them. There are several EU court rulings that indicate that you are indeed allowed to resell your software licenses and that the vendor has no legal base to prohibit you from doing so. (Cf. cases against Oracle and Microsoft).

This may be different in the US where you can sign away your rights, but IL is a European company and subject to European law. The EULA/terms of usage are immaterial if they do not conform with with legal regulations.

chk071 wrote:Cool thread.
What's the workaround to get around the terms of usage i agreed to when i bought and installed the software.
How good that we're all so morally integer people who don't use warez and always pay for our software. :hihi: Sorry, can't resist the little side blow. It's funny how people always seem to act in regards of their own beliefs and rules, and how they accept something, while disregarding something else, and trying to get around it. Because, according to law, you have to respect the terms of usage, and in this case, IL doesn't allow reselling the software. Actually, when you're not ok with it, the way to prove your right would be to apply a law suit to make them change their EULA, which noone will do of course. Oh well...

In fact you can't give up your rights according to laws and by that many EULA's are ilegal.

So, who must comply first, companies with laws or individuals with bogus EULA's?

For me the company bears more responsability.
dedication to flying

Mivo wrote:
chk071 wrote:Because, according to law, you have to respect the terms of usage, and in this case, IL doesn't allow reselling the software.
At least in Europe, this statement is wrong. EULAs are not law, and agreeing to EULAs that aren't based on actual regulations does not bind you to them. There are several EU court rulings that indicate that you are indeed allowed to resell your software licenses and that the vendor has no legal base to prohibit you from doing so. (Cf. cases against Oracle and Microsoft).

This may be different in the US where you can sign away your rights, but IL is a European company and subject to European law. The EULA/terms of usage are immaterial if they do not conform with with legal regulations.
Because of that IL will never do something against a new owner of an old account even if they can track all back.
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”