Airwave - yet another WINE VST bridge for Linux (April 12 update)

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

phantom-one Who is James Stone? Whoever he is it was a good suggestion. Keep up the good work anyway. :)

Hi Strangetown!

Just realised I already had an account on here! I've been in discussion with phantom-one about his excellent piece of software. Seems it was timing out too quickly waiting for wine to startup on mine and your system (maybe others too). However, I doubt I will be able to help fix any of the other bugs (I think Phantom-one is well onto these though).

James

@James ah ok cheers :)

I wanted to check in on this thread, been a while.

I was out of town for a couple weeks, and since I've come back Airwave has been working like a charm. None of the weird slow-down effects I was getting earlier, even with multiple instances. It's recognizing Synplant, MicroTonic and DCAM Synth Squad. Seems pretty gravy (though now I have to wrestle with fxpansion since their idiot license manager has decided that I've exhausted my rather expensive licenses since apparently installing a new operating system means I have a new computer).

I also found that I was missing one of the packages listed above needed for building Airwave. I haven't tried to rebuild it since it's working with StudioDave's binaries and I'm afraid to mess with good enough, but I suspect that's why I was having difficulty earlier.

Once I get the bastards and fxpansion to free up my licenses I'll report back on SynthSquad performance.

Hey Phantom,

I've built the devel-branch version, should I go ahead and replace my previous version ? Things have been working okay with the older binary, just wondered if I need the new capabilities (whatever they might be).

Best,

dp

So far Airwave is handling SynthSquad flawlessly.

For reasons I think relating to Wine rather than Airwave, the public beta had some critical flaws, but the stable version is running smooth. No issues with Airwave handling two instances of microtonic and SynthSquad.

Six cheers for phantom!

StudioDave, develop version has only several bug fixes. If you have the issues with updating UI, then there is a chance, that the latest version will work better.

Also installed D16 Phoscyon and Redoptor also both loaded and recognised by Bitwig but the options submenu is not correctly displayed in Phoscyon (this also occurred with the license page with Phoscyon and Redoptor though I managed to (by luck) click on the right place to enter the license file location. Phoscyon was working but doesn't seem to any more after the Spire crash. I really appreciate all your efforts phantom-one and am more than happy to provide any more info you request. I'd really like to see this amazing bit of software running smoothly. One last thing I have disabled the enable tmpfs line in /etc/fstab as it doesn't seem to be needed :)
You need to disable dwrite in winecfg to get fonts to display correctly on these plugins.

@stone1 thanks that seems to have sorted it but dwrite was not actually loaded by default.
What you have to do, for anyone else who may experience the same problem is load it in winecfg and then disable it - seem counterintuitive? I thought so! :D

Code: Select all

1. Open winecfg.
2. Go to the Libraries tab.
3. Select dwrite from the dropdown list in the New overrides for library field.
4. Click Add.
5. With dwrite selected in the Existing overrides box, click Edit.
6. Select Disable and click Okay in that dialog.
7. Click the Okay button at the bottom of the Libraries tab.
from https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17938

wow, I'm very impressed! been able to get clean sound out of VSTs that no other bridge has been able to do for me. Synth1 64-bit and 32-bit working pretty flawlessly in Renoise 64-bit.

I've only noticed some issues with one VST I use, FMDRIVE (it's SynthMaker based and has a pretty huge and clunky UI) makes Renoise hang when the GUI is tried to be reopened after being closed, but only when certain patches are loaded? it's 32-bit and running sandboxed. no idea on that one.

awesome work here!

There are some fine apps made with Synthmaker, but the gui's never seem to
work smoothly in wine. It would be great if someone figured out
a solution for that. I'd love to use acmebargig's Headcase in Bitwig/linux.
Cheers

Hello, I just got Airwave installed on UbuntuStudio 14.04 - just to let anyone who's running 14.04 know, Apt won't recognize "g++multilib" as an install argument, at least it didn't for me. I installed it using a version number in Synaptic after adding an additional PPA (I'd post it, but I'm at work, and I don't remember it offhand). If you open up Synaptic and search "g++" you'll get results for like four or five different versions of it. I installed them all and it all worked. If anyone needs a step-by-step/copy-and-paste explanation of how I got it to work in UbuntuStudio 14.04, I'll be happy to provide it.

Now I've got a totally noob-ish question.

How do I run Airwave in Bitwig Studio?

I'm still learning all this DAW stuff. I'm pretty proficient with LMMS and Ardour, but I'm not coming from the FL Studio/Ableton world, and I'm really behind the curve with Bitwig. There's a paragraph at the end of Airwave's README file devoted to it, but it strikes me as being written as though I should just know this stuff already and I don't.

Is there a command line thing I'm supposed to type in to start it? Does it run from inside Bitwig? Do I copy and paste .dll files into the plugin directory?

Basically, I just want to run a couple of Sonivox plugins in Bitwig. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

damange, I recorded video tutorial some time ago, I think it can help you. But it is located in my dropbox, so traffic is limited.

It's actually called g++-multilib on Ubuntu.

You need to run airwave-utility, select the .DLL associated with the plugin you want to use, choose your linux vst directory where you want to save the linked (.so) file and give it a name (or choose default). Then when you run bitwig, select your linux vst directory and it should find them.

Although airwave has the best performance of the 2 available vst bridges, it does crash with some plugins on my system when moving knobs etc on the GUIs. I have been in discussion with Anton about this but he doesn't know what is causing it.. So I have gone back to the more clunky but (slightly) more stable vst-bridge software for now.

Okay, you guys are gonna LOVE this - you wanna talk about DUMB? I forgot to run

sudo make install

This is why you should never do this stuff while being sleep-deprived right before work! I was so thrilled I finally got the make command to follow through that I never installed the thing...

Thank you both for the replies. Thank you for the video, phantom-one. I think I can figure it out from here... *LOL*

Return to “Bitwig”