Memorymoon ME80 going 64 bit

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't know who that one guy is, but I don't like Vangelis' music, either 8) It is a strange mix of bombastic and kitschy, neither of which I like. It has no rhythm and doesn't touch me, just like classical music...

I have no idea why people on this board are so obsessed with certain musicians, almost like groupies. That's just not me. When I read Blade Runner these days, my mind switches to bypass mode 8)

Each to their own...

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Rob James G wrote:You can make user patches and save them in your chosen DAW or program as user patches and export and import them. but it isn't the same thing as making a fresh complete bank.
Not really. Mixcraft's own format can't be exported. I would have to use another DAW again.
Rob James G wrote:I could be wrong on this but I think there is no simple way to achieve this. It isn't designed for this. Aftertouch is very expressive here, it is not merely note on, note off. You cannot edit the aftertouch midi information in a DAW as far as I can see. You can of course edit the midi note info that accompanies the aftertouch (if you applied aftertouch effect at all).
What I meant is, when I program patches that I want to share or even sell later on, but don't have a keyboard that deserves the word aftertouch, how can I kind of compensate for that within the patch? Say, I have my perfect brass, should I increase or decrease the filter cutoff for instance before I share the patch with people who can use aftertouch?

With velocity sensitivity it is the same: If someone's keyboard is not sensitive (which is very rare of course these days), it probably sends 100% volume all the time. So I would have to increase the volume of my patches so that they are loud enough for people using a sensitive keyboard.
1) To compensate for lacking aftertouch: This sources goes into the aftertouch system: Poly aftertouch, mono aftertouch and CC2 (breath-control). An expression pedal can be used to send aftertouch. Just set it to transmit aftertouch or CC2. CC2 was added to the system because my Line6 kb37 controller has no aftertouch, and the exp pedal can not be set to transmit afertouch, but it can be set to CC2. Or you can program a slider on your masterkeyboard to transmit CC2. It will be read as aftertouch inside ME80. The factory presets has sensible settings for aftertouch, so in many cases you can just keep the aftertouch settings. If you use the random buttons I would reduce "After cutoff" in both synthlines.

You draw and edit aftertouch in you DAW. In Reaper - open midi editor, select "Channel Pressure" from the dropdownlist at the bottom.

2) I have nothing against commercial soundbanks for ME80.

3) The biggest flaw in the GUI is the text fonts. I wrote the text in an old Microsoft freeware program that I dont use anymore. When Scott made the current GUI he used my background and created new textures around it, but kept the text. And he made the text darker, and as Fluffy mentioned, some letters are darker, that is shadows. And the sliders have shadows. All text should really be rewritten. I dont mind to share the GUI files in public for a limited period if anyone wants to improve the text. I think the text must be re-made.

All the best
gunnare

Hi Gunnar,
This is all good to read.

I think Fluffy wanted a blank bank, to create patches from scratch without building from existing sounds.
It would be good to have this.

Would I be right in thinking most keyboards with expression pedal capability often have channel AT? Some do not I know, I think they are probably in the minority.

A lot of synthesizers the 2 last years have no aftertouch at all: Yamaha MX49 and 61, Yamaha MOX6, Yamaha MOXF6, Roland FA06 and FA08 and Korg Chrome and the list goes on. I think all of them can send aftertouch from exp pedal.

All the best
gunnare

Those are more expensive models. The mainstream models (big volume sellers £250-£400) seem to have Channel AT. Look at M Audio, Roland, Alesis entry level models.
Maybe you get everything but the kitchen sink on the affordable gear and the higher end models do not supply features unless they can be done really well.

valerian_777 wrote:
Rob James G wrote:
valerian_777 wrote:One guy in this thread don't have a clue about Vangelis' music. :wink:
Vangelis? Who he? :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b1xJYCrKDU

Playing a little bit after dinner.. :wink:
Is it that kind of music which is called Hip-Hop ?
:scared:

:D
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

BlackWinny wrote:
valerian_777 wrote:
Rob James G wrote:
valerian_777 wrote:One guy in this thread don't have a clue about Vangelis' music. :wink:
Vangelis? Who he? :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b1xJYCrKDU

Playing a little bit after dinner.. :wink:
Is it that kind of music which is called Hip-Hop ?
:scared:

Closer to Hip Op. :wink:

gunnare wrote:3) The biggest flaw in the GUI is the text fonts. I wrote the text in an old Microsoft freeware program that I dont use anymore. When Scott made the current GUI he used my background and created new textures around it, but kept the text. And he made the text darker, and as Fluffy mentioned, some letters are darker, that is shadows. And the sliders have shadows. All text should really be rewritten. I dont mind to share the GUI files in public for a limited period if anyone wants to improve the text. I think the text must be re-made.
I would be candidate to do it.

Simply... once the retouches are made (and validated by two or three persons (among them me of course) having a severe visual impairment in order to be sure that it fits for us all), I would give them you back. You'd agree?

Of course I would retouch exclusively the letters and symbols (the best readable font and the best readable contrast).
Last edited by BlackWinny on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

Is it the BIG GUI background you want?

Rob James G wrote:Those are more expensive models. The mainstream models (big volume sellers £250-£400) seem to have Channel AT. Look at M Audio, Roland, Alesis entry level models.
Maybe you get everything but the kitchen sink on the affordable gear and the higher end models do not supply features unless they can be done really well.
Roland is sloppy. I am thinking of getting the A-49 because those 32 keys of my current one are just too few. On the A-49 specs page on their site they don't even mention aftertouch, only velocity. But on the photos one can see that the keys can also be used as function buttons, and one of the F keys has the function aftertouch.
With Roland I wonder if maybe they are outsourcing the aftertouch feature to their Supernatural technology...

All in all I also wonder if aftertouch is really that popular with most people. I kind of doubt it, frankly. Nobody would make a keyboard without velocity, though.

By the way, if we are talking about controllers I don't think the big volume sellers are in that price range, they are more like in the 100 to 200 quid range in my view.

Velocity varies in practice, ignoring non linear curves that are a band aid for poor design.
I have been through numerous keyboards. The A800 has a lovely velocity sensitivity. tracking intensity differences between zero and 127 well. Many keyboards fail to meet Midi specification and fail to give full 127. Thus they lose dynamics. For a lot of players velocity sensitivity hardly matters, they intentionally switch it off, particularly EDM stuff. On some soft synths (and most Pianos sounds) this failure to offer full output wrecks the potential for dynamics and/or realism.

Well if we are talking real volume sellers look between £20-£60 on Amazon and Maplin.

I expect many AT keyboards never have the AT feature used in their whole lifetime.
Last edited by Rob James G on Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gunnare wrote:Is it the BIG GUI background you want?
The best would be both, so that I can verify that everything is fine with both sizes.

The ME80 BIG skin available for download and editing. The most obvious task is to replace the text on the BG image. Because you can click on some text (text bubbons) there is also: Last-played, saw-symbols and sine symbols.
http://memorymoon.com/BIG_1920x1080.zip

Some info for the Artist:
dial.png 101 frames
S3xxxxx.png 80 frames
SKxxxxx.png 67 frames
vol.png 127 frames

All the best
gunnare

BlackWinny wrote:
gunnare wrote:Is it the BIG GUI background you want?
The best would be both, so that I can verify that everything is fine with both sizes.
I did this earlier today but didn't have time to post it. It's the BIG GUI but with the Gamma and Exposure up. I don't find it's perfect (the fonts may be the reason), but it's more legible than the original from a distance (and you can still see the cursor-shadowed letters):

gunnare wrote:The ME80 BIG skin available for download and editing. The most obvious task is to replace the text on the BG image. Because you can click on some text (text bubbons) there is also: Last-played, saw-symbols and sine symbols.
http://memorymoon.com/BIG_1920x1080.zip

Some info for the Artist:
dial.png 101 frames
S3xxxxx.png 80 frames
SKxxxxx.png 67 frames
vol.png 127 frames

All the best
gunnare
Downloaded. Thank you Gunnar !
:tu:

Return to “Instruments”