Making drum machine play full sample?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys, I couldn't find the answer in the manual. Do you know how to make each drum hit trigger the full sample in drum machine instead of shortening it to the midi note length that you drew?

In the first set of envelope settings push the release up to the top :)
thats the amp envelope
-Tristan
MacBook Pro|MacOS Sierra|Bitwig Studio 2.0
UA Apollo Twin| EVE SC207 Monitors|ATH M50x|Focal Spirt Pro|Komplete 10|Push

This should be default in my opinion.

joewes wrote:This should be default in my opinion.
Agree considering it resets every time you load a new sample.

joewes wrote:This should be default in my opinion.
I think I'd like this too, since I'm turning up the release on all the drums I use except for open hi hats. I think making it a one step process to add samples to a drum machine rather than a two step process as it it now (drag sample, turn up release) could make it easier to experiment and create on the fly, rather than encouraging a divide between kit creation and pattern creation.

However as Thomas mentioned in another thread, this is up to personal preference.

ToneCre8 wrote:Agree considering it resets every time you load a new sample.
Not if you drag the new sample into the sampler device instead of onto a drum pad. But I know that's not ideal since you have to have the device visible for that and you may have settings you've changed that you would want to reset with a new sample such as pitch or attack or something.

Is everybody using drums like this or is it just that part of the users who do who speak up here?
I wonder what the best approach would be since the sampler is used in other areas as well where one-shots may be less the standard.
Maybe a default preset that everyone can design in his own way?
Would make sense anyway.

I'll keep it in mind.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

ThomasHelzle wrote:Is everybody using drums like this or is it just that part of the users who do who speak up here?
I wonder what the best approach would be since the sampler is used in other areas as well where one-shots may be less the standard.
Maybe a default preset that everyone can design in his own way?
Would make sense anyway.

I'll keep it in mind.

Cheers,

Tom
Default preset, yeah I was thinking of that. If bitwig let you configure your own init preset for plugs then you could configure the init sampler preset for long release, and you'd have the added benefit of having all the other plugs load up how you want.

But as you say, you don't always want one shots so maybe that would just be shifting the the problem from one place to another.

As for how many people want it that way I don't know for sure but I imagine that basically anybody who actually plays drums with a midi controller would want one shot behavior so you don't have to keep your finger on the pad or key to control sustain, so that would be a big chunk of people right there. But maybe I'm wrong there cause it's been a while since I've used a controller for that; maybe you can adapt.

Maybe the answer is in the defaults of other daws? FlStudio will give you one shot behavior iirc. It'd be interesting to know how maschine does it since it's so focused on drums.

There should be the option for true AEG bypass.

nsq wrote:There should be the option for true AEG bypass.
This would work.

if you want to create a groove with the cymbales..and you want to play the full sample you cant..even iy you max out the release knob. :(

valiclaudiu wrote:if you want to create a groove with the cymbales..and you want to play the full sample you cant..even iy you max out the release knob. :(
That's because the Sampler module plays only 1 voice per midi note. It's filed as a bug and has been acknowledged so im hoping for a fix soon.
"Annoying the neighbours since '71"

Instead of maximizing the release duration, you can click on AHDSR to show the dropdown menu and switch to Shot.
Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 4.04.45 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nsq wrote: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:04 pm There should be the option for true AEG bypass.
There is. See the post above, re: "shot" mode. Like just about any Sampler out there, it can be set to One Shot mode, which bypasses the EG.

mholloway wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:09 am
nsq wrote: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:04 pm There should be the option for true AEG bypass.
There is. See the post above, re: "shot" mode. Like just about any Sampler out there, it can be set to One Shot mode, which bypasses the EG.
Parhaps that mode wasn't available in 2014?

;)

Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Bitwig”