VST closest to Virus A/B?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Alchemy DUNE DUNE 3 Helix Spire Sylenth1 SynthMaster 2 Z3TA+

@4damind
I agree. Listening to synths is very subjective. What did I say? Listening is very subjective.
It's like this wine expert put on a test. They have to judge a glass of red wine but don't know it's actually white wine dyed red.. there you go! :D

recursive one wrote:
Alexeus_Knober wrote:listen to the demo SynthMaster- it is Nirvana,and very soft and musical.Big synth ! This will completely replace your virus and more -imho
Если честно, как стоит, так и звучит :)
в случае с Synthmaster это не работает-я купил за 45$ а звук на 1000$... :tu:

Dazed Veins wrote:@4damind
I agree. Listening to synths is very subjective. What did I say? Listening is very subjective.
It's like this wine expert put on a test. They have to judge a glass of red wine but don't know it's actually white wine dyed red.. there you go! :D
That's extremely bad analogy. I am not wine expert and i can tell you difference between white and red wine even within the most shitiest wines and belive me we do have pretty bad wines here..

cytospur wrote:One Ping Only is legendary and I have yet to find a hardware replacement for it despite having spent £thousands trying to find one. Any ideas?
'ere ya go...

Even thought Largo is built to replicate Waldorf hardware, it seems like it might also be as close to the virus as many others that get 'close'. It has the squelchy filters and wavetables and plenty of ways to mangle the sound. Might be a good choice for someone looking for that type of sound. Although I don't think it has the supersaws.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Although I don't think it has the supersaws.
It does. Exactly like this one:
No signature here!

recursive one wrote:
4damind wrote: Anyway, there is no emulation of the Virus available (yet). Because everybody asks for such a plug-in and every new released plug-in synth is compared to the Virus, I ask by myself why nobody had the idea to emulate the Virus as good as possible ;)
Ideed, I am also puzzled by that. It is generally agreed that recent analog emulations sound fairly close to what they emulate. But Virus is a digital synth, theorectically it should be even easier to approximate its sound with a software model, and the demand is obviously high.
I think there is little point to spend so much time emulating a Virus. Existing softsynths already can replicate it well enough that any differences are pedantic. Personally, I think software equaled or exceeded it a while ago.

While i agree that modelling the Virus in every detail in soft synths isn't necessary, i would say that what many soft synths lack is a specific character, which many of the popular hardware synths seem to have. Mind that i only know hardware synths from Youtube videos... but when it comes to patches which really bring out the beef in hardware synths, many seem to act really great, while many soft synths leave me with some kind of "meh" feeling, when i bring up the resonance, and try some extreme sounds. There are some exceptions like Largo, which really has an amazing sonic palette, from tender to extreme, and bassy to nice highs, but with many soft synths, i feel like the devs don't have the necessary experience, or ear to really get the best out of them. Unfortunately, in my experience, the more you spend, the more likely you will buy a nice sound, as the companies selling the more expensive synths know about the popularity, so they can take more for their software. Well, i guess in the end it's the same as almost everyhwere, and you get what you pay for.

Anjey_Olaf wrote:
4damind wrote:
Anjey_Olaf wrote:Yes!) CELL will Commercial public release.
This year?
Yes!)
Sooo... erm... now that it's next year... wha happened?

recursive one wrote:
4damind wrote: Anyway, there is no emulation of the Virus available (yet). Because everybody asks for such a plug-in and every new released plug-in synth is compared to the Virus, I ask by myself why nobody had the idea to emulate the Virus as good as possible ;)
Ideed, I am also puzzled by that. It is generally agreed that recent analog emulations sound fairly close to what they emulate. But Virus is a digital synth, theorectically it should be even easier to approximate its sound with a software model, and the demand is obviously high.

Btw, is a public release of the Cell synth ever planned? I remember reading somewhere on Rmmedia forums that it will stay for "internal use" only.

This always comes up. The reason that Virus hasn't been modelled is that no one knows exactly how it gets its sound. The algorithms are not available for inspection atall. In analogue, you can open it up and look. In digital, theres nothing to see as the code is on a protected chip. People can guess and measure but so far no one has nailed it. Access wont do it because they sell hardware. Despite popular belief, modelling certain digital gear is the hardest of all.

4damind wrote:In the past and today people often use Sylenth for this typical Virus sounds.. But to be honest, Sylenth doesn't sound like the Virus but it has a very good Unison implementation...
Anyway, there is no emulation of the Virus available (yet). Because everybody asks for such a plug-in and every new released plug-in synth is compared to the Virus, I ask by myself why nobody had the idea to emulate the Virus as good as possible ;)
As a start I would be satisfied if someone could implemented the Virus arp section only. :tu:

Return to “Instruments”