Why is dvd vob-files not supported in hosts/anywhere?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

xNiMiNx wrote:Im surprised DVD region codes havent been mentioned, and im guessing it plays a part in DAWs not reading dvd's. Sure theres workarounds, and region-free dvd's, but that type of thing (workarounds) is usually found in the dirtier end of the web. Most of the big boys (ie: MS) even try to limit the number of times you can change your region.

To keep it legit, and probably not bring flak from other companies, DAWs would need to have 6 versions of their software, for each region.

Somewhat OT, has anyone ever played a disc from one region on a player of another, where the disc was allowed to play? Some strange things can happen / be revealed.
You could be on to something there.
It could complicate matters - at least since Windows interferes with what you do in this regard. Limited changes etc.

I bought a Sony Regionfree DVD player to my surprise, available with region locked of same model - just 10% more expensive - in the same shop.

Maybe they dropped this thing - the thinking might not be working on the market.

Other players have these obscure button presses to reach hidden menues to change region.

But Microsoft collaborate with the idea that major manufacturers have. Don't know if Apple are into this.

ezelkow1 wrote:I thought the region thing was up to the dvd drive itself. I know previously, its been a long time since i looked at it, if you go into the device settings for a dvd drive that many of them allow you to change the region there. But as you said most of the time you are limited to something like 6 changes and after that you are locked to a region
I thought that it was how you say, but MS writes (bolded by me):

"The region settings can be changed only a limited number of times. When Changes remaining equals 1, and you select a new region, an alert will be displayed warning you that after this, you will only be able to play DVDs from that region. Be aware that you might not be able to change the region setting for some DVD hardware and software decoders."

Its MS though, and i havent done much with region codes / dvd ripping for years now, so i could be wrong.

Some interesting reading reguarding DVDs at http://www.allformp3.com/dvd-faqs/61.htm

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

lfm wrote:Don't know if Apple are into this.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2397

"You can change the region setting up to 5 times, as indicated in the dialog box. On the fifth time, the drive is permanently set to use that region, and you cannot make any more changes."

My thoughts-could Reaper do it, VLC is supported, which I use to run my video DVD's. I'm actually on an older version of Reaper as the new video stuff crashes my webcam, and use portable VLC, so I haven't tested that stuff.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

xNiMiNx wrote:
lfm wrote:Don't know if Apple are into this.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2397

"You can change the region setting up to 5 times, as indicated in the dialog box. On the fifth time, the drive is permanently set to use that region, and you cannot make any more changes."
Ok, that is the same thing as Windows then.

I don't know if I understand the region thing - why it's there.

Is that usually one wholesale distributor is covering a continent - and if they invest in advertisement, that they get the benefit from that - not that distributors start to compete cross continents?

Otherwise why bother with all this limitation stuff.

But as I understand publishers can decide to release stuff as regionfree.

Well the obvious answer is that a DVD is a finished product. DAW software expects video formats in the raw intermediate stage. Youre editing your music to video which may be edited as well. They arnt expecting you to use a copy protected final media. Your video file should be in the format required by the DAW. Simply use a ripper to convert it to AVI if you must. DAW makers wont change on this one.

This has nothing to do with the operating system.
The DVD drive has a "flash ROM" (maybe not the correct term) which gets altered whenever a new region is being set. After a finite (arbitrary) number of changes the setting is permanent.
This is a hardware "feature".

Greetings
D.
"There's a certain detail seen here."

Debby747 wrote:
This has nothing to do with the operating system.
The DVD drive has a "flash ROM" (maybe not the correct term) which gets altered whenever a new region is being set. After a finite (arbitrary) number of changes the setting is permanent.
This is a hardware "feature".

Greetings
D.
So this limitation also goes for dedicated dvd recorders etc - and the drives used there?

If using remote hidden menues to change it - it gets stuck in the end?

Or are OEM drives for players equipped with a different firmware than drives for computers?

Lot of information to try and tell someone about Region coding / limts of DVD and why it's there.

Wikipedia has a pretty decent explanation of the why's and how's of it all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code

Nobody has brought up the next hiccup in DAWs reading DVDs. Encoding.

NTSC vs PAL.

I cannot play a Europe DVD bought and played in my USA dvd player or computer - even if it's Region 0 if it's encoded as PAL then I cannot play it.

My Blu-Ray player is an older model hardware device and it does not like 4k encoded Blu-Ray discs (granted there aren't many of these Blu-ray discs out yet but there are more and more coming).

Do to the question why DAWs don't read DVDs. Why should they.

a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) to me at least shouldn't concern it's self with Video and all the video standards etc.

There are DAWs that DO take advantage of these audio/video things like Steinberg Nuendo and ProTools HD and MOTU Digital Performer.

But none of these read a DVD with encoded video and audio and playback in the DAW. They all use a raw format video in different flavors and formats.

MachineClaw wrote:Do to the question why DAWs don't read DVDs. Why should they.

a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) to me at least shouldn't concern it's self with Video and all the video standards etc.

There are DAWs that DO take advantage of these audio/video things like Steinberg Nuendo and ProTools HD and MOTU Digital Performer.

But none of these read a DVD with encoded video and audio and playback in the DAW. They all use a raw format video in different flavors and formats.
It seems I'm alone wanting this - nothing more to it than that.
So I guess consumer request of one, does not make it happend.

just means you have to use multiple tools to achieve what you want to do......

rip the DVD into a video format supported by current DAWs.

lfm wrote:I bought a Sony Regionfree DVD player to my surprise, available with region locked of same model - just 10% more expensive - in the same shop.

Maybe they dropped this thing - the thinking might not be working on the market.

Other players have these obscure button presses to reach hidden menues to change region.
It just seems they are (were) fighting against the regionfree drives. They came up with Regional Coding enhancement (RCE) to stop disc's from playing on regionfree drives. And yes, lots of buttons, hidden menu's, and hoops to jump through to try to work around it.

For a partial list of known RCE discs, workarounds for certain players, visit http://www.dvdtalk.com/rce.html

In the USA, decrypting a DVD is technically illegal, and the only reason ripping a dvd is technically illegal.

Actually, no... it's the distribution of software than can crack the DVD encryption which is illegal. That's it. Otherwise we could rip DVDs just like songs...

arkmabat wrote:Actually, no... it's the distribution of software than can crack the DVD encryption which is illegal. That's it. Otherwise we could rip DVDs just like songs...
I guess making hardware chips that decode is more safe in that regard. If to distribute SDK for any software is more risky.

But still - AnyVideoConverter do it - so.
Don't know of it as hush-hush-illegal.

The old legislation is kind of outdated, and now services like Violet for video, Adobe DRM account for eBooks etc make everything multiplatform.

Problem with these services today maybe are of privacy matter - do we want everything we watch and listen to and read to be registered information that may be used against us. Our lives are more and more mapped and categorized by authorities and multinational corporations. I will never register on these services that's for sure. As I'm reluctant to keep using Android based phones since Google force many thing upon us, like the last update I had was forced to comply with that they register my location - or firmware would not install - kind of scary this.

Anyway this thread served it's purpose, thanks to contributors.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”