Rompler for pads/choir/atmospheres (D-50:ish)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

OK. So I fiddled a bit with the Alchemy Player. I'm a huge fan of the D-50 and I can say that among the current
plug-in landscape this really is quite similar in both concept and sound. I can go forth and say that Alchemy
could be a good replacement not only for the D-50 but for the whole Roland JV and XV module series.

the D50 just a digital Rompler

the attack of the sound is a sample and sine waves take care of the Sustain

Any standard rompler and/or sampler is far superior to it, you just need presets.

I think UVI has a similar Plugin to it here http://www.uvi.net/en/vintage-corner/di ... tions.html
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

Sustain is pulse or saw and "filtered odd way" which means sounds almost like filter but is not.

realmarco wrote:you just need presets.
It's true that the D-50s PCM samples really set it apart from the crowd. that's why Roland forbids multi-samples based on it's "romplers".

The D-50 is unique due to Roland's effort and while many samplers can technically do what it does, these products don't have benefit from Roland know-how and sound content. I'm telling you those PCM samples are really unique.

Having this in mind and if you have a lot of cash to spend, Spectrasonics Ominisphere is the closest you can get to a D-50 because it's made by Roland's chief sound designer from the 80's, Eric Persing.

:lol:
Omni somehow sounds very little like a D-50 to me. It has similarities, but then again, most rompler-esque synths derive a historical palette to D-50 and M1. If all EP wanted to do was keep churning out re-hashed versions of the D series he could have easily just stayed at Roland.
My best 'D-50' like sounds come from Alchemy and Gladiator 2. YMMV, but since they import samples and Omni does not, I would consider Omni to be as dated by that limitation as a D-Roland whatever was. Plus, as many omni-users keep telling me, its granular can't touch Alchemy.

There's no battle between Omni and D-50. But there is a battle between Omni and the D's great-grandchildren - Integra and Jupiter 80, which have D-50 expansions I think.

cocoazenith wrote:There's no battle between Omni and D-50. But there is a battle between Omni and the D's great-grandchildren - Integra and Jupiter 80, which have D-50 expansions I think.
Spent time with all three of them, and found them disappointing at best.
The hype just doesn't match the actual for me.
Tone 2 gives me what I expected from Omni.
U-He gives me what I expected from Roland.
Alchemy is something I don't compare to any hardware.

realmarco wrote:Any standard rompler and/or sampler is far superior to it
Thanks for sharing your insight :help:

If you happen to have Kontakt 5.2,checkout Insussurio Pads. http://www.insusurro.com/?post_type=product
Nothing but pads.35-39 bucks.They have 3 versions.I bought one to try it out.Perfect when you just want a pad.

cocoazenith wrote:
realmarco wrote:you just need presets.
It's true that the D-50s PCM samples really set it apart from the crowd. that's why Roland forbids multi-samples based on it's "romplers".

The D-50 is unique due to Roland's effort and while many samplers can technically do what it does, these products don't have benefit from Roland know-how and sound content. I'm telling you those PCM samples are really unique.

Having this in mind and if you have a lot of cash to spend, Spectrasonics Ominisphere is the closest you can get to a D-50 because it's made by Roland's chief sound designer from the 80's, Eric Persing.
well uvi has sampled the d-50

btw "pcm" is just another word for audio sample...a CD plays PCM
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

Samples can be unique...

HG Fortune stuff
Korg M1 and Wavestation.
Wusikstation.
Purity.

or take anything you already own and hit with a hammer until it get the shape you want.

FL Studio has a pitch knob when you open like the stock hihat for instance. Turn it way down and... Instant drone pad!

arkmabat wrote:FL Studio has a pitch knob when you open like the stock hihat for instance. Turn it way down and... Instant drone pad!
Yes! And Edison has tools to shape almost anything into a tuned & looped drone.

Edison is one thing I have but haven't looked into much at all. Thanks!

Return to “Instruments”