Mac Mini like PC for production - advises?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys!

So, after years of being a Mac user I'm thinking of switching back to Windows for two reasons:

- My maxed out mid-2010 iMac is slowly dying
- The only new Mac I'd buy is the Mac Mini, but a maxed out config is really expensive (€1,399)

So, I was thinking of building a music production machine based on the Mac Mini aesthetics, and I ended up with this config:

- CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
- CPU Cooler: Thermalright AXP-100 44.5 CFM Ball Bearing CPU Cooler
- Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard
- Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
- Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
- Storage 2: Western Digital WD Blue 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
- Case: Mini-Box M350 HTPC Case
- Other: Additional Case Bracket for second HDD

Total: €756.17 vs €1,399 of the Mac Mini (maxed out config with only a 256gb SSD)

You can check the config here: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/MzqJpg

What do you think? Is it a good machine? Will it work fine? Is it a good idea?

Every advise welcomed.

Thanks!

Looks good to me (similar to a gaming rig I helped build a while back) but I'll let others a bit more in the loop comment on the CPU etc.

I would ask why you've gone for 5400rpm drive, not much more at all for a 7200rpm one.

Seems fine, but you need to make there's enough space inside that case for everything (do you really need it to be that small?), and you also need to add a PSU to your budget as well. Don't scrimp on that as the cheap ones WILL blow up/fail.

I would also suggest opting for a slightly bigger SSD for your OS and installs as 120GB fills up pretty quick.

Your 2nd storage drive is only 5400rpm as well. You'll really be wanting a 7200rpm drive.

GaryG wrote:Looks good to me (similar to a gaming rig I helped build a while back) but I'll let others a bit more in the loop comment on the CPU etc.

I would ask why you've gone for 5400rpm drive, not much more at all for a 7200rpm one.
You're right, I'll switch to 7200.

My doubts are moslty regarding the PSU from the moment I don't understand how would it work with a case that small. I don't even know if there are some fitting for the wattage...

This is the official page of the case: http://www.mini-box.com/M350-universal- ... -enclosure

Recheck that cooler size too.

This pic makes it look like it will not fit that case:
http://www.overclockers.ru/images/lab/2 ... ka_big.jpg

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

tehlord wrote:Seems fine, but you need to make there's enough space inside that case for everything (do you really need it to be that small?), and you also need to add a PSU to your budget as well. Don't scrimp on that as the cheap ones WILL blow up/fail.

I would also suggest opting for a slightly bigger SSD for your OS and installs as 120GB fills up pretty quick.

Your 2nd storage drive is only 5400rpm as well. You'll really be wanting a 7200rpm drive.
Thanks!

Yes that's what I'm scared about, and no I don't need it that small actually, but I can't find a bigger case which is not way too big compared to it.

I want something I can put on my desk horizontally and which doesn't take much space. :?

dsan@mail.com wrote:Recheck that cooler size too.

This pic makes it look like it will not fit that case:
http://www.overclockers.ru/images/lab/2 ... ka_big.jpg

Happy Musiking!
dsan
Right, I guess that case is really too small.

Do you know any similar options?

Not to be a wise arse, but, Mac Mini if it is small footprint you are after.

Otherwise you could go with some HTC cases like Lian Li, Silverstone, and others you will find at newegg.

I'm building a micro ATX in a Lian Li PC-v352B now but it's foot print is twice that of the case you had listed and about 20 times larger than the Mini. I had originally thought about the mini but decided it would not fit my needs (except for its size).

Not to dissuade you from your build but I think you should step back and put some more thought into what you need.

Definitely that CPU. With everything else you are wanting inside though you need to reconsider the size. Heat is a killer of electronics.

But it all comes down to what you want and need in your computer.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

Honestly I'd just go for a normal sized case that can sit under your desk. It'll give you so many more options in terms of motherboard, upgradability and cooling etc.

tehlord wrote:Honestly I'd just go for a normal sized case that can sit under your desk. It'll give you so many more options in terms of motherboard, upgradability and cooling etc.
I totally agree. If footprint is not an issue.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

tehlord wrote:Honestly I'd just go for a normal sized case that can sit under your desk. It'll give you so many more options in terms of motherboard, upgradability and cooling etc.
I already have a tower under my desk, which I use for gaming and it's really noisy.

I'd like the machine I need for production to be portable (for example in case I want to bring it at a friend's place) and mostly I want it really silent, so no much fans in it, this because I do lot of actual audio recording and I don't want noises in the room :)

I don't want laptops because they burn and they're noisy, it's the same with my iMac, from the moment inside it's a laptop...
Last edited by needaname on Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm a bit concerned about heat in that build. The heatsink is very small in order to fit in the tiny case and you'll have the hard drive very near all the other components. The only extra cooling is a tiny fan in the back. The way the mac mini deals with the heat is threefold: the metal case acts as a large heat sink, there is a large induction fan for everything, Apple selects slightly slower components that produce less heat. This is why the Mini max config only runs at i-7x2.3GHz and uses laptop-style SODIMM ram. Your config is going to push out a lot more heat than a Mini will and you have a 3.5" hard drive too for more heat.

Be sure to purchase a good power supply for that config like tehlord said. It might be tricky finding one in the power brick format that has enough juice for all those parts. Make sure you have 20-30% MORE output from the PSU than the max power draw of all the components. Power supplies degrade over time and having that buffer means safe computing for years to come. The very rough rule of thumb is the capacitors in a power supply degrade at 10% every year. A site like this one can help you decide on the right PSU: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psuc ... orlite.jsp

If you are willing to go a little bit larger on the case you can get an higher quality internal PSU and a slightly larger CPU/case fan for probably about the same cost.

Finally, if you're concerned about computer noise keep in mind that fans smaller than 120mm produce audible noise. A case with larger fans often runs quieter than a smaller case.

I hope this helps.

bmrzycki wrote:I'm a bit concerned about heat in that build. The heatsink is very small in order to fit in the tiny case and you'll have the hard drive very near all the other components. The only extra cooling is a tiny fan in the back. The way the mac mini deals with the heat is threefold: the metal case acts as a large heat sink, there is a large induction fan for everything, Apple selects slightly slower components that produce less heat. This is why the Mini max config only runs at i-7x2.3GHz and uses laptop-style SODIMM ram. Your config is going to push out a lot more heat than a Mini will and you have a 3.5" hard drive too for more heat.

Be sure to purchase a good power supply for that config like tehlord said. It might be tricky finding one in the power brick format that has enough juice for all those parts. Make sure you have 20-30% MORE output from the PSU than the max power draw of all the components. Power supplies degrade over time and having that buffer means safe computing for years to come. The very rough rule of thumb is the capacitors in a power supply degrade at 10% every year. A site like this one can help you decide on the right PSU: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psuc ... orlite.jsp

If you are willing to go a little bit larger on the case you can get an higher quality internal PSU and a slightly larger CPU/case fan for probably about the same cost.

Finally, if you're concerned about computer noise keep in mind that fans smaller than 120mm produce audible noise. A case with larger fans often runs quieter than a smaller case.

I hope this helps.
Thanks a lot.

I agree on this config being too much for that size, I think I need something bigger, but I don't want one of these big ITX cubes... Damn this is difficult :)

needaname wrote:Thanks a lot. I agree on this config being too much for that size, I think I need something bigger, but I don't want one of these big ITX cubes... Damn this is difficult :)
Maybe a case like this?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811352027

It's bigger, but not so much so that it's not portable. The larger fan in the back would greatly help with heat and you can put a (modest) PSU inside. Of course, it's not terribly backpack friendly if that's your goal. :) Good luck on the build, I know it's hard making all the requirements work.

bmrzycki wrote:
needaname wrote:Thanks a lot. I agree on this config being too much for that size, I think I need something bigger, but I don't want one of these big ITX cubes... Damn this is difficult :)
Maybe a case like this?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811352027

It's bigger, but not so much so that it's not portable. The larger fan in the back would greatly help with heat and you can put a (modest) PSU inside. Of course, it's not terribly backpack friendly if that's your goal. :) Good luck on the build, I know it's hard making all the requirements work.
Yeah probably that's the side I have to look for, too much small doesn't help in terms of productivity :)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”