renoise getting press attention. but...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

conner_bw wrote:Your doing it wrong because Renoise is for guitarists now:

http://www.guitarplayer.com/artists/101 ... -hop/31095
That's quite an interesting read.

Super interesting. Same kind of thing Trent Reznor talked about if I remember right, about how it's easier to be a one-man-band with a tracker.

Loved that article, quite deep and insightful.

Maybe you are Stan Getz, a nice bunch of guys :P
lectrixboogaloo wrote:Oh, i like renoise. don't get me wrong.
lectrixboogaloo wrote:part of why i'm done with that mess that is renoise.

You have filters in Renoise? Seriously the last time I used a tracker we had to use the sample of a filter sweep
and manipulate the sample start position using 3xx (portamento in ft2).

I would have killed for a filter back then.

the renoise filters seem ok to me. maybe you could use fabfilter pro or cytomic the drop if you want something more? overall, the renoise workflow has a lot of quirks, but it seems like every host has those (quirks). oftentimes, it isn't easy -- regardless of host. there are some things though, that renoise does quite well; plus if you want you can script in lua with an aim toward adding the functionality you believe to be missing. finally, the 'easy-to-use' signal follower, hydra, lfos, etc. really make renoise 'powerful'.

on the downside, it's been said before but i'll say it again; the thing really missing from renoise is the ability to multitrack simultaneously; for example to be able to record separate 'samples' (audio tracks) from an 8-channel i/o device, all at the same time. as it is, renoise is made for 'tracking' one thing at a time. if renoise had the ability to 'multitrack', renoise would make further gains into the 'studio space'. for now the workaround is apparently rewire; either that, or say... multitrack your audio in something like reaper, then import the .wavs into renoise for mixing.

anyway, to sum up; renoise can be a pain in the ass but i love it.

mrblitz wrote:the renoise filters seem ok to me. maybe you could use fabfilter pro or cytomic the drop if you want something more?

For the hundredth time, the Renoise instrument filters are polyphonic, so you can't just replace them with a monophonic filter plugin, which is why they need updated so badly.

I think people buy Renoise hoping it's just an unknown DAW that's really cheap. Of course it has tracker limitations! That's to be expected. I was just sad to see that ModPlug can import more old tracker formats than Renoise. That's what I'm disappointed about.

arkmabat wrote:I think people buy Renoise hoping it's just an unknown DAW that's really cheap. Of course it has tracker limitations! That's to be expected. I was just sad to see that ModPlug can import more old tracker formats than Renoise. That's what I'm disappointed about.
ModPlug was actually designed to play other formats(in windows) to begin with though, where Renoise was always it's own thing. I'd like to see better import of old formats as well, even what it does load is frequently inaccurate and some old pattern effects don't exist in Renoise(want tremor...). Not disappointed though, never expected it and don't expect it in the future. It'd be nice but the devs have been pretty straightforward about it not being a priority

Microtuning on the other hand is one thing OMPT has that I'd reeally like to see in Renoise...

But yes, Renoise, and trackers in general are optimized for programming music, not recording a live band all at the same time. It would be useful for some people sure, but it's still going to be harder to work with than a program that actually puts arranging audio tracks first where trackers emphasize note data

At some point you have to let go of the past.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

The workflow in Renoise is sublime once you get used to it. It's more suited to programmed electronic music, I wouldn't particularly like working with it for long recorded takes but it's not that kind of beast and shouldn't be judged as such. I don't think it will ever be adopted as a bread and butter studio DAW, but it's not aiming for that - sure there are features missing but it has myriad other features that other DAWS lack - it's a different tool, the workflow might work for you, it might not - but it's a fantastic piece of software and for what you get, very reasonably priced too.

Numanoid wrote:Maybe you are Stan Getz, a nice bunch of guys :P
lectrixboogaloo wrote:Oh, i like renoise. don't get me wrong.
lectrixboogaloo wrote:part of why i'm done with that mess that is renoise.
Never had to dump a chick you liked 'cause of reasons? It happens... Anyway, yup. Oh, well.

lectrixboogaloo wrote:I am finding renoise new instrument stuff to suck hard. I mean, it's better than before but it's still way behind many sampler vsts that dropped into freeware and nothing like a good sampler from back in the day.
It is not just you. As a matter of fact, some people (including me) have brought up the issues with the Sampler in the Renoise forums as well. See for instance:
http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/topi ... ple-start/
http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/topi ... le-attack/
http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/topi ... one-track/
http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/topi ... n-sampler/
lectrixboogaloo wrote: no, the instruments are retardophonic. i've looked at them quite a bit over the last 3 or 4 weeks. they are too lazy or confused to mix the samples before they apply the terrible filter code so it makes like 50 voices of cpu use out of what should be 5. it's no excuse.
This has also been discussed in the Renoise forum:
http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/topi ... n-concept/

Unfortunately the developers disagree on this aspect. They deliberately want Renoise to be different in that aspect for some reason.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”