Any word on Revalver 4 release?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
HeadRush ReValver LFOTool

hibidy wrote:cool! :clap:

Trying to figure out Vern Cantrell is about as cool a name as there is. Real or soundcloud!
Set to carry on the legacy of Jerry Cantrell :hihi:

EvilDragon wrote:The user should be able to lock the in/out levels after he once sets them up. There should be an option for this.
I'll send this to Michael. Maybe he can implement it in the future. Thank you.
José Luiz Paiz Junior
Peavey ReValver Support
http://www.peavey.com/products/revalver/

IMO, input locking makes a ton of sense. Even better, multiple input level presets, with names, as for different guitars. Even more betterer, a simple before-the-amp EQ in each one too.

I'm a lot less interested in output level locking. If you're going to slam the power amp on one preset and go for max clean headroom on another, you need some way to control the net output level separately for each preset. It's possible that there's another layer in R4 that could provide that, haven't fired it up yet, but you get the idea.

Input and output level locking need to be enableable separately for that reason.

The full deluxe probably-too-tweak-heady version might be this:
- Multiple input level and EQ presets
- A global setting for which one is the default now (single coil vs humbuckers, say)
- A per-preset setting for which one to use, that includes Use Global Default, and each of the individual input presets
- As I said, I don't see how output level presets are a big plus, but if some folks want them, the same sort of setup for them
Last edited by dwozzle on Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yes, even better would be multiple input level presets, nameable.

So Revalver 4 has definitely grown on me. I like it a lot better than I did when I first tried it. It's probably the learning curve. I bought a good amount of stuff from the amp shop in addition to the producer upgrade.

I hope to see an Auto Wah in the amp shop, though. As a tip, the Audiffex pedals make a great compliment to whatever isn't available in R4 as of yet.

One thing I have to wonder if is the modules added to the amp shop will be emulations or custom made material.

I noticed a glitch on the amp shop. After I pay for my purchases, and I restart my browser, all of the purchased material is back in my cart. This has happened to me each time I've bought something. (three times now, the producer upgrade, then yesterday two separate transactions)

Distortion comparison between 1. Shreddage II and 2. Peavey PDX Tomb II (Neck downtuned) from Revalver 4's ACT Input Shaper. Subtle tonal differences and differences in the mutes are pretty noticeable.

https://soundcloud.com/verncantrell/rev ... -iitomb-ii

I am experiencing BIG CPU spikes, when using multi-amp setups and/or lots of effects. Try the "Collegati" preset in "Free Bank," for example. In standalone version, this preset drinks down 30% CPU--I'm running Windows 7 64-bit on Gigabyte i7-3770K @ 3.5GHz with RME FireFace 800. :o

Is anyone else experiencing high CPU? So far, I have only tested in Studio One Pro 2.6; I will see how it performs in Reaper, to compare and contrast.

As I reported earlier, I was getting BIG ASIO spikes with three instances. Two for stereo rhythm. I loaded another for lead, and loaded one of the Demon presets on that. My ASIO spiked by like 80%. With two, I was only getting less then half of a quarter of the Asio meter loaded. I'm using Cubase 7.5 with the same processor specs.

I posted this on Gearslutz as well.

First impressions...

POSITIVE

To start on a positive note I really really like the RIR2. It is hands down my favorite cab sim. Several of the cab IRs I can stick directly on my DI, just that IR and nothing else, and there is an improvement in tone and dynamics. To make sure I wasn't imagining things I inserted some of my other cab sims to demo them side by side and sure enough none of them gave me back an improvement on my DI. I like the RIR2 IRs so much I'm thinking about making some music with just my DI going into Revalver cabs; no amps or pedals. I have no idea why I like these so much more than anything else since without the amps I don't think you get any extra features in the cabs you wouldn't get elsewhere.

I like the VU meter in the input mixer.

The third party plugin module is a great idea though it is crashing my entire DAW when scanning for plugins once it gets to Padshop.dll. I tried scanning with Revalver in standalone mode and it crashes there as well. Windows 7 64 bit.

Module prices are very reasonable. Great for impulse buys.

UNDECIDED

Been playing with each of the amps, and like some better than others, but nothing immediately stands out for me. I've been playing with S-Gear the last couple nights and it really sets the bar high though I don't care much for staring at it's amateur/unpolished UI design when I get into tweaking mode.

GRIPES

The highs in the presets are often painful to my ears, though they can be dialed down once the preset is loaded. I hadn't ran into this issue before with any of the other amp sims--ugly, fizzy highs yes, but not painful.

No undo/redo. See FabFilter and Waves plugins.

You have to right click a module and make a selection before you can drag and drop reorder that module. Why?

Pedals don't have sync to host bpm?

No way to toggle through presets.

Preset management is funky in general but this seems to be a plague in amp sims all around. Guitar Rig's preset management is probably the least annoying, but isn't perfect either.

No way to toggle through IRs. Drives me nuts when I just want to toggle through and instead have to repeatedly open a dropdown and find and select the next IR each time rather than just pressing a single back or forward increment button.

Turning knobs can cause sound glitches. This happens in S-Gear as well. It's one of those things I tend to expect from smaller developers (still don't like it), but isn't really acceptable to me from a larger company like Peavey.

The top UI graphics are an eye sore, but then all the modules that load below it look nice. Personally I'd like it if amp sims used less space trying to depict the real hardware and instead just made the knobs bigger. All I need is nice looking knobs, toggles, meters, etc. No screws. No vents. No pleather.

Not a fan of the USB requirement, but can see how it would be useful to a minority of users who play on multiple computers. Should be optional though. Even iLok has a register to computer option now rather than requiring a dongle.

The installer didn't make a Peavey folder in my start menu. To open the standalone I had find it on my harddrive.

Ran into CPU issues on some of the presets.

Regarding the 3rd Party plugin module. In order to get around the issue of it crashing while scanning my entire VST folder I had it just scan my IK folder. Scan went fine. Then I tried to load T-RackS CS EQ 81 and Revalver Standalone crashed. :(

I'll purchase this component as soon as it works. I wish all the larger amp sims had it. [ended up purchasing it anyway. I trust they'll get it fixed.]

Greg Houston wrote:I posted this on Gearslutz as well.

First impressions...

POSITIVE

To start on a positive note I really really like the RIR2. It is hands down my favorite cab sim. Several of the cab IRs I can stick directly on my DI, just that IR and nothing else, and there is an improvement in tone and dynamics. To make sure I wasn't imagining things I inserted some of my other cab sims to demo them side by side and sure enough none of them gave me back an improvement on my DI. I like the RIR2 IRs so much I'm thinking about making some music with just my DI going into Revalver cabs; no amps or pedals. I have no idea why I like these so much more than anything else since without the amps I don't think you get any extra features in the cabs you wouldn't get elsewhere.

I like the VU meter in the input mixer.

The third party plugin module is a great idea though it is crashing my entire DAW when scanning for plugins once it gets to Padshop.dll. I tried scanning with Revalver in standalone mode and it crashes there as well. Windows 7 64 bit.

Module prices are very reasonable. Great for impulse buys.

UNDECIDED

Been playing with each of the amps, and like some better than others, but nothing immediately stands out for me. I've been playing with S-Gear the last couple nights and it really sets the bar high though I don't care much for staring at it's amateur/unpolished UI design when I get into tweaking mode.

GRIPES

The highs in the presets are often painful to my ears, though they can be dialed down once the preset is loaded. I hadn't ran into this issue before with any of the other amp sims--ugly, fizzy highs yes, but not painful.

No undo/redo. See FabFilter and Waves plugins.

You have to right click a module and make a selection before you can drag and drop reorder that module. Why?

Pedals don't have sync to host bpm?

No way to toggle through presets.

Preset management is funky in general but this seems to be a plague in amp sims all around. Guitar Rig's preset management is probably the least annoying, but isn't perfect either.

No way to toggle through IRs. Drives me nuts when I just want to toggle through and instead have to repeatedly open a dropdown and find and select the next IR each time rather than just pressing a single back or forward increment button.

Turning knobs can cause sound glitches. This happens in S-Gear as well. It's one of those things I tend to expect from smaller developers (still don't like it), but isn't really acceptable to me from a larger company like Peavey.

The top UI graphics are an eye sore, but then all the modules that load below it look nice. Personally I'd like it if amp sims used less space trying to depict the real hardware and instead just made the knobs bigger. All I need is nice looking knobs, toggles, meters, etc. No screws. No vents. No pleather.

Not a fan of the USB requirement, but can see how it would be useful to a minority of users who play on multiple computers. Should be optional though. Even iLok has a register to computer option now rather than requiring a dongle.

The installer didn't make a Peavey folder in my start menu. To open the standalone I had find it on my harddrive.

Ran into CPU issues on some of the presets.

Regarding the 3rd Party plugin module. In order to get around the issue of it crashing while scanning my entire VST folder I had it just scan my IK folder. Scan went fine. Then I tried to load T-RackS CS EQ 81 and Revalver Standalone crashed. :(

I'll purchase this component as soon as it works. I wish all the larger amp sims had it. [ended up purchasing it anyway. I trust they'll get it fixed.]
Thanks. In spite of all my gripes, I'm still interested in the product but I hope Peavey listens on some of these basic features that are being omitted. Undo/Redo should definitely be implemented. That's something I would expect from a modern modeler. Is it really that hard to reorder the modules? If that's the case, that should certainly be fixed. Also, that's terrible if the effects can't be synced bpm. Peavey should have an auto-detect feature for things like predelay to sync with the host session. And yes, Peavey get rid of that stupid dongle requirement....

Greg Houston wrote:No way to toggle through IRs. Drives me nuts when I just want to toggle through and instead have to repeatedly open a dropdown and find and select the next IR each time rather than just pressing a single back or forward increment button.
I was able to use the up/down arrow keys to page through IRs, once I have the initial model selected.

EvilDragon wrote:The user should be able to lock the in/out levels after he once sets them up. There should be an option for this.
I like this idea!
D Scarlatti, Dell XPS8700 i7/8gb mem/1tb hd/Steiny UR22/Presonus ER5s/Nektar LX61 kbd ctrlr/Win 10 Pro/S1 4.6/ my music here: https://www.magix.info/us/profile/my-profile/media/

blueman wrote:I was able to use the up/down arrow keys to page through IRs, once I have the initial model selected.
Thanks a lot for pointing that out blueman though it is still not optimal, and actually took me 20 seconds or so to figure out what you were talking about. You have to click on the dropdown once with the mouse, then select something, and then until you use another control the left and right arrow buttons on the keyboard will increment through the IRs. Ideally you wouldn't have to open the dropdown and select something to begin with and would not need to touch the keyboard at all.

Also once you get to the beginning or end (depending on which direction you are incrementing) it should flip back to the opposite end of the list in a big circle.

Integratron wrote:
I like this idea!
Me too.

blueman wrote:
Greg Houston wrote:No way to toggle through IRs. Drives me nuts when I just want to toggle through and instead have to repeatedly open a dropdown and find and select the next IR each time rather than just pressing a single back or forward increment button.
I was able to use the up/down arrow keys to page through IRs, once I have the initial model selected.
Thanks for the tip - works great!
D Scarlatti, Dell XPS8700 i7/8gb mem/1tb hd/Steiny UR22/Presonus ER5s/Nektar LX61 kbd ctrlr/Win 10 Pro/S1 4.6/ my music here: https://www.magix.info/us/profile/my-profile/media/

Return to “Effects”