which Valhalla Reverb to buy?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

codec_spurt wrote:If you only have cash for one, the best one is Room without a doubt.

VVV is the next one you want.
Contrary to popular believe, this is true. If you're not a reverb wizard, VVV is easier to setup, because less controls.

i would argue: if you want to hear it as an effect (which most usually do), you're probably better off with Vee3. if you want a more subtle reverb, enhancing without distracting, use VRoom.

you can do subtle with Vee3, and you can do lush with Vroom, but imho VRoom seems to embrace a cleaner aesthetic that is more oriented to subtlety, and Vee3 embraces the noise and imperfections that make it take up more space.

Room just gives that polish. That little bit of professional sauce.

VVV can do that too, there isn't much in it.

But if you only had the money for one, buy Room.

You asked for an opinion, you got it.

Of course VVV does an amazing job, but...

To be crass: Room is invisible (which is what you want), VVV is coloured (which is often what you want too, if you want it).

Room is harder to dial in I find. VVV is easier to make sound good coz it 'blooms'.

f**k, buy both. It's rude not to.

I'm still figuring out my way as far as production, but I agree with chroma and codec_spurt.

I've been using Vintage verb for more of an effect verb and room for more of a "glue verb," and it seems to work pretty well that way.

It really depends which is better based on your needs/wants from a verb. Both is the easiest answer at $50 a pop for that kind of quality.

Dang this is a hard choice. They're all good in different ways, as it was probably intended haha. Which one(s) do you find yourself actually using in mixes?

codec_spurt wrote:
from GET A ROOM! The Complete Guide to Reverb Buying Etiquette by Codec_spurt, 2014

arkmabat wrote:Dang this is a hard choice. They're all good in different ways, as it was probably intended haha. Which one(s) do you find yourself actually using in mixes?
I always use both. Generally Room for early reflections and Vintage for the reveeeeeerb. Sometimes 2 times just Room.

So I'd say, if you really really really cannot stretch to 100 bukz, then get Room. But I really really really recommend also to get both. Assimilate them both mate :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg:
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

ImNotDedYet wrote:I'm still figuring out my way as far as production, but I agree with chroma and codec_spurt.

I've been using Vintage verb for more of an effect verb and room for more of a "glue verb," and it seems to work pretty well that way.

It really depends which is better based on your needs/wants from a verb. Both is the easiest answer at $50 a pop for that kind of quality.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I mean, what I said. Probably what I thought.

Anyway, good call.

VVV is good to make something sound impressive NOW.
Room is good for making a mix that sounds 'professional' with everything in its place.

You could probably dial in either effect from either verb, but it takes longer to get that big blooooom effect from Room, and it takes longer to dial in that 'these drums were recorded in a 40 ft. sq. space' sound with VVV.

If you have the money, buy both and have a lotta lotta fun. If you only have the cash for one and you want a producer's tool, buy Room. If you want to pretend you are Brian Eno or be dramatic about it all, buy VVV.

Again, being crass on the subject. Sean is probably biting his tongue and smacking his forehead, muttering to himself 'bloody philistines'. Listening to fuckwits like me giving advice on his work.

It's just perceptions and they can be wrong. But this is why these threads are good coz people can draw an average from opinions and maybe find the mean point.

I blah on about this verb and that. And it's fun to play. But if I met some bloke at a festival and he was off his head on whatever and I could tell he really really wanted to know what the best reverb in the world was, I would tell him to get VVV and Room. They are the yin and yang of reverbs. And sooner or later, whether you use the other or not, you are going to need that kind of sound and effect. It's incredible what Sean has done with the versatility of these. But then he surprises us with something like shimmer. Which I believe he coded before all the others (iirc).

It doesn't matter. Sean will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure. Just buy all three. Plus the delays. This man will never make a compressor. He just deals solely in time and space. Everything he does is a variation on a theme. But he's exploring infinity here. I don't know if you realise just how dangerous his work is. He may well go mad.

Shit. lost it on 'verbs again. Time to go home.

:-)

So what I've determined is that room is good for rooms.

But seriously, thanks for the advice. I think I'll get all three eventually.

arkmabat wrote:So what I've determined is that room is good for rooms.
And halls....and chambers....and :wink:

Bottom line is that VRoom is better for real spaces, VVV is better for unreal spacey FX and more classic reverb sounds.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote: And halls....and chambers....and :wink:
Caverns and Cathedrals. Canyons coming next.

Er, maybe that is a bit out of scope of 'rooms', duh!

In case anyone missed it, I have been enjoying this immensely (I only have to learn how to spell it) - it is called 'Poor Plate'.

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/poor_pl ... acuumsound

No gui to speak of, but it sounds a treat. Sweet and full and no hit on the cpu. Lots of others have praised it before me so give thanks and praise to them. Still, stick it in your little FX folder. You know what to do with it.

That and Tila http://www.signaldust.com/p-tila2.html

I can see what the fuss was about.

There are times, when I get over all the branding and next gen gui crap, and I just want a no nonsense super lighweight little trick to fill out my drums and what have you. Poor plate does that with aplomb. Super light on cpu.

ontol wrote:
codec_spurt wrote:
from GET A ROOM! The Complete Guide to Reverb Buying Etiquette by Codec_spurt, 2014
what the... ? hahahaha

chroma wrote:i would argue: if you want to hear it as an effect (which most usually do), you're probably better off with Vee3. if you want a more subtle reverb, enhancing without distracting, use VRoom.
I find the opposite to be true.

They're both so versatile, I guess it really depends. The only time I really stick with one is when I'm mixing drums--I like Room for that.

I think it would be cool if ValhallaDSP turned all their plugins into a AIO design where you could set up modular patches.
:borg:

I miss must one thing from Sean: Plates
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Return to “Effects”