what size SSD for DAW size on disc

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't really need space for anything besides DAW and a few games and possibly space for HD video editing (nothing fancy but some of my videos are like an hour long full hd I want to trim down and splice etc, dunno if that requires a lot of buffer space). Other than that basically just windows 8.1 and a bunch of small programs. I have external storage for everything else.

I just want one SSD for everything. I use FL studio but I have no idea what VSTs I'll be getting to estimate space needed, what I can say is I'll want about 3 good soft synths VA knobby analog type, a software ROMpler type thing to replace something like a jorg triton workstation for my piano and string sounds etc. Some effects for external guitar and the VSTs, and something/samples to trigger with a usb drum set. I might be able to save space by running these off of discs too.

what size ssd should I get? thanks.

I opted for a 256 SSD to put Win 8.1 on
But after installing, I got conflicting reports.
Microsoft says the OS should be around 28GB?
But the drive properties show it as 89GB.
Was able to strip off some of the obvious bloat and get it down to 59GB.
But I'm still trying to figure out how to get it to the 29GB they state.
I'm now waiting for the price to mellow out on the 750GB or 1TB SSDs and most likely will continue running Win 7 until I learn more about stripping Win 8 to my specific needs.

BBFG# wrote: Microsoft says the OS should be around 28GB?
But I'm still trying to figure out how to get it to the 29GB they state..
Sometimes things are not what they seem...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2795190
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
Yes, I have noticed The Store is the major offender here (although the article referred to Vista and 7 and I've only noticed the misreporting on 8.1 (on fresh install, before any updates).
Thanks for the article, it does help, although I'm still not sure of any solution specifically for 8.1?

I have Cubase 6.5 and Live 9 Standard on a W7-64 install. I opted for a 128GB drive. I've also installed all my plugins (probably 30 or so) but all libraries (Omnisphere, Alchemy, Kontakt etc) are on a secondary drive and my main SSD has about 35GB space left.

If I were you I'd go for at least a 240GB drive, probably double that if you want to install a few games as well. Some of them are 10-15GB these days.

tehlord wrote:I have Cubase 6.5 and Live 9 Standard on a W7-64 install. I opted for a 128GB drive. I've also installed all my plugins (probably 30 or so) but all libraries (Omnisphere, Alchemy, Kontakt etc) are on a secondary drive and my main SSD has about 35GB space left.

If I were you I'd go for at least a 240GB drive, probably double that if you want to install a few games as well. Some of them are 10-15GB these days.
Agree with the above except I have 2 ssd 128s 1 for studio and 1 for everything else.
Works nicely

thanks. I got a 240GB Vector 150, this http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... gb&_sop=15

BBFG# wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
Yes, I have noticed The Store is the major offender here (although the article referred to Vista and 7 and I've only noticed the misreporting on 8.1 (on fresh install, before any updates).
Thanks for the article, it does help, although I'm still not sure of any solution specifically for 8.1?
A treemap view tool like Windirstat can help identify where your space is going. It offers a visual overview of your directories and files with larger files showing as bigger shapes. Superb little tool. https://windirstat.info/

My money is on hiberfil.sys causing issues for you. Windows 8's 'fast start/hybrid sleep' requires the hibernation file to work. Luckily, I've found that my machine boots just as quickly without on an SSD. The hibernation file is the same size as your RAM, so for me, 16 gig was a big chunk out of my 128 GB SSD. Add the paging file and the aforementioned ever-expanding WinSXS into the equation and there's a lot of places you can reclaim some space.

With regard to the OP's question, I've found that my 128 GB SSD more than gets the job done. Two or three big games installed at any one time along with my DAW and VST plugs with space to spare. All my samples, installers, media files etc are stored on a second 1TB HDD. Using the SSD for programs only. Can't recommend the upgrade enough. You just don't realise how much of a bottleneck your hard disk is until it isn't any more. I'd never go back.

Though I overpaid, I got a 750gb for my OS/daw/sample library all in one. I got a ton of conflicting reports and decided that that and a regular HD for recording audio was the best. It's worked great but the HD is really noisy and now I'm going tomorrow to get a 500gb for extra storage and audio (and it's obviously less or no vibration which I currently get from the HD. )

cron wrote: A treemap view tool like Windirstat can help identify where your space is going. It offers a visual overview of your directories and files with larger files showing as bigger shapes. Superb little tool. https://windirstat.info/

My money is on hiberfil.sys causing issues for you. Windows 8's 'fast start/hybrid sleep' requires the hibernation file to work. Luckily, I've found that my machine boots just as quickly without on an SSD. The hibernation file is the same size as your RAM, so for me, 16 gig was a big chunk out of my 128 GB SSD. Add the paging file and the aforementioned ever-expanding WinSXS into the equation and there's a lot of places you can reclaim some space.

With regard to the OP's question, I've found that my 128 GB SSD more than gets the job done. Two or three big games installed at any one time along with my DAW and VST plugs with space to spare. All my samples, installers, media files etc are stored on a second 1TB HDD. Using the SSD for programs only. Can't recommend the upgrade enough. You just don't realise how much of a bottleneck your hard disk is until it isn't any more. I'd never go back.
hiberfil.sys is usually 75% of your ram size, as it compressed memory on shutdown, unless you've changed the default at least on Win7. Is that not the case on Win8?

Another file hungry location, at least for Windows Vista/7 is Previous Version/Snapshots. Now it seems that's gone in Windows 8? Haven't read enough into it yet. Just got my first Windows 8.1 machine a week ago.

I just went for a 250GB myself for my DAW. My 250GB on my gaming machine is 104GB free out of 250GB. I try to store all my games on 2TB drives instead. The space goes quick! Samsung Evo 250GB are on sale right now on Amazon for $118.99 vs. $90 for the 120GB. I think it's worth double the space for $30 extra. My DAW now boots in 7 seconds, which I can't complain about either.

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

DevonB wrote:.....Samsung Evo 250GB are on sale right now on Amazon for $118.99 vs. $90 for the 120GB. I think it's worth double the space for $30 extra. My DAW now boots in 7 seconds, which I can't complain about either.

Devon
Saw that Monday and immediately went for it! :tu:

But now reading this thread I'm concerned about that hyberfil issue. I'm dropping 32G RAM in this new build and don't need 75% of that eating up my SSD.

I haven't looked into it yet but assume one can turn off hibernation and recover that space?

Happy Musiking!
dsan

EDIT: In case it helps someone else, here is a tut on how to enable/disable Hibernate:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/81 ... sable.html
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

That's a good price, but I want the 500 and it's the same price locally.

Seriously hibidy? You can buy a 500Gb SSD for the same price as the 250GB in your area?

Or do I misunderstand?

If so, is it possible to do so via web order?

I'd be real interested in that before I get to deep into my build.

Thanks hibidy!

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

DevonB wrote:hiberfil.sys is usually 75% of your ram size, as it compressed memory on shutdown, unless you've changed the default at least on Win7. Is that not the case on Win8?
Ahh, I had it in my head it was 16 gig (RAM size) on my machine, but I could well be wrong.

(Just done a quick bit of Googling and it would appear that I am. Apologies for the error.)
dsan@mail.com wrote:But now reading this thread I'm concerned about that hyberfil issue. I'm dropping 32G RAM in this new build and don't need 75% of that eating up my SSD.

I haven't looked into it yet but assume one can turn off hibernation and recover that space?
Yes. I can't remember if it's as simple as just turning hibernation and fast start off, but I found a guide that walked me through it. Certainly easy when you know how if not immediately obvious. Just to reiterate, I noticed no difference at all in start-up time afterwards.

As well as guides to ditching hiberfil.sys, you can find the same regarding slimming down WinSxS, the page file etc. The rise of SSD seems to have precipitated an avalanche of these reclaiming space type guides around the internet. I've seen at least one give some bunk advice (usually stemming from unwarranted paranoia around SSD longetivity), but if you're willing to do a bit of cross-referencing you won't be short of help.

dsan@mail.com wrote:Seriously hibidy? You can buy a 500Gb SSD for the same price as the 250GB in your area?

Or do I misunderstand?

If so, is it possible to do so via web order?

I'd be real interested in that before I get to deep into my build.

Thanks hibidy!

Happy Musiking!
dsan
No no, what I meant was amazon has no special pricing on the 500 which I'd rather have than two 250's (even though that would save me money)

Sorry.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”