One-Synth-Challenge #66: ODsay by Elektrostudio (Keith303 Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fluffy_little_something wrote:So the question is whether the OSC is more about sound design for a particular synth or production skills in general, both of which there is a dedicated sub-forum for :wink:

I have never voted in an OSC and I probably never will, I would not know what exactly to evaluate, frankly...
But it is interesting to see, or hear rather, what different people achieve with the same synth, especially limited and free ones. Some of it is pretty cool :)
i think you overcomplicate things for yourself.
let all the rules and backgrounds aside and take a closer look at what is left when you listen to the entries.
you will most probably come to the conclusion that you're simply listening to music, some of which you like more and some of which you like less.
now ask yourself into which of the entries that you like has went the most effort in terms of "how easy it might have been to pull off" for the artist, given the material that he had to his disposal.
i think everyone of us does have something like a gut feeling or instincs that he can rely on.. try to trust them, i'm sure you won't be too mistaken.

Looks like I'll be entering this one as well, wasn't til now but just got inspired and created something last minute. But man some of the tracks so far are awesome!!!
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

fluffy_little_something wrote:the question is whether the OSC is more about sound design for a particular synth or production skills in general, both of which there is a dedicated sub-forum for :wink:
While that is _a_ question, that still isn't the OSC as a whole. Is there a monthly competition for sound design? Is there a monthly competition for production skills? Is there a monthly competition for composition?

By themselves, these are certainly important elements and can be singled out. I'm sure you could find many competitions for these things, but one that uses a different synth every month, and a (generally) freeware one, at that? Almost certainly not. Remix competitions, sure, might touch on all these aspects but they aren't monthly, generally...

But, to me, the OSC is different. It's a combination of all of those elements. Some people favor composition. Some favor sound design. Some favor production quality. But I think most will agree that a combination of ALL of those elements is what yields the best result. Individually, we favor different things, and that's part of the beauty of it, too... and why you should not preclude yourself from voting: things that are important to YOU for a one synth challenge affect how you believe the results should be, even just personal preference.

fluffy_little_something wrote:There are some tips on how to improve the SC audio stream quality:

http://www.justmastering.com/article-mixingformp3.php
I was gonna post that too. Excellent info there.
The biggest difference I noticed was when I started uploading as full-quality .flac files instead of .ogg or .mp3 ... It takes longer to upload, but if you send SoundCloud the highest quality audio you can, the outcome really does sound a lot better. .. Go figure :lol:

err isn't a wave file higher quality than a flac file. I just upload the streamed wave directly to soundcloud
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

mysticvibes wrote:err isn't a wave file higher quality than a flac file. I just upload the streamed wave directly to soundcloud
I don't think so. .wav and .flac are both lossless, but .flac can be compressed more ... I could well be wrong of course .. I wouldn't know how to directly compare the audio quality between the two. :?

EDIT: A quick bit of research confirms: .flac is just as good as .wav as far as quality goes. In fact, .flac is arguably better than .wav, since it can store ID3 info as well.
Last edited by artao on Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

artao wrote:
mysticvibes wrote:err isn't a wave file higher quality than a flac file. I just upload the streamed wave directly to soundcloud
I don't think so. .wav and .flac are both lossless, but .flac can be compressed more ... I could well be wrong of course .. I wouldn't know how to directly compare the audio quality between the two. :?
No you are right. And the final quality is the same.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

what bitrate is flac? wave is 1000+ i think

TTU Youtube

mysticvibes wrote:what bitrate is flac? wave is 1000+ i think
flac is variable bit-rate, which is why it can compress. wav is constant bitrate, which is why it doesn't.
wav even keeps a constant bitrate during silence, while flac can compress that silence .. thus variable bitrate
as such, in general, flac is superior. there is no loss in sound quality, regardless of bitrate. :)

fluffy_little_something wrote:There are some tips on how to improve the SC audio stream quality:

Dude!! You just sent me down the rabbit hole. That article linking to other articles linking to even more other articles... I think I know what I will be busy with for the next 3 days!!

SirKen wrote:

Dude!! You just sent me down the rabbit hole. That article linking to other articles linking to even more other articles... I think I know what I will be busy with for the next 3 days!!
You're welcome, I like to make people lose time :hihi:

The best way to improve SC quality is simply let people enable high quality streaming :dog: :dog:

Arggg why they don't do it... :x

However... gotta party on and live life :phones: :phones:

My Submission:

https://soundcloud.com/saukar/saukar30- ... -black-men

Frustrated about the whole Ferguson incident.

For the One-Synth Challenge

DAW=Reaper

Odsay x 26

VST FX
Loudmax x 24
Classic Auto Filter x 5
Reverberate LE x 3
Ferox x 2
Camel Crusher x 2
Classic Reverb x 2
NastyDLA x 2
Atlantis Filter x 1
Softamp GT x 1
JB Isone Pro x 1
Omniverb x 1

Reaper FX
Reaeq x 3
JS 1175 x 2
JS Applefilter72 x 2
JS Bassmanager x 2
Reafir x 1
Reagate x 1
JS SPLimiter JS x 1
JS Louderizer x 1
JS Arpbangzero x 1
JS Amp-ModelDual x1
JS Format-Function Filter x 1
JS Transient Driven Auto Pan x 1

Master Bus
JS Stereowidth x 1
Thrillseeker XTCBlack x 1
Limiter No6 x 1

DR=8
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Never upload mp3's (or lossy) unless it's forced at a site. Sound cloud decompresses any compressed format that you upload and then trans-codes the inferior raw material again so your always going to get degradation. http://help.soundcloud.com/customer/por ... -distorted
I always upload a HQ wav because soundcloud storage limitation is by playtime and not file size. Yes, takes longer but results seem to be better. I also utilise the intersample peak monitor free @ http://www.solid-state-logic.com/music/X-ISM/.

BTW keep in mind though - even though SC sucks for 128kbps mp3 ( :x :x !!! GAH :smack: :smack: :smack: ) - the quality of the audio doesn't really directly relate to how well you'll do in the voting.

Return to “Instruments”