What hosts still don't support x32 and x64 plugs at the same time?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Compyfox wrote:I actually mean it the other way around - complete drop of support for x86 (32bit) plugins!
If hosts stop supporting x86 plugins, then requirement for "Shells", "Wrappers" and "Bit-Bridges" is as likely to increase.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Not if it's going the ProTools and Logic Model.

Read: (initial) refusal of "bridging".
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:Not if it's going the ProTools and Logic Model.
What 'it' ? 'The DAW development industry as a monolith' or something?
Read: (initial) refusal of "bridging".
How do you reconcile your statement with the plethora of bridging solutions aimed at both?

Sheesh, why do you need to act like a stick in the mud all the time and insist that your opinion/comments are ultimate?!

The host industry IS aiming at going full x64 as of late. And it's about time.
Who knows when x128 OS's will hit, and when the host developers then decide "you know... let's go this route and drop support for everything else". Apple started this - no warning beforehand, they just cut the 32bit support with Logic X and did not let ANYONE on board for a couple of weeks to come. By now, bridging should be possible.

AVID on the other hand even sued creators of wrappers that made it possible to not only bridge 32bit plugins to the new AAX 64bit engine, but also "load" VST plugins in ProTools. This also took a while until the madness toned down.

Steinberg told me, in a really non-subtle manner, several times by now, that "64bit is the future". The next host update is due in a couple of months I think. Chances are that Cubase will drop 32bit support as well at some point (maybe also VST2.x, which would be their own neck breaker since it's still flawed - though lucky for us, the VST3 SDK is backwards compatible!). Then again, in this case we have access to capable bitbridges/wrappers.

The trend is there.

And while we can still debate if 64bit plugins over 64bit VSTi (sample based) make sense, we can't overlook the fact that 32bit is slowly dying out. Heck even FlowStone and SynthEdit finally took a peek at 64bit!

So if hosts don't have bit bridges built in (which are getting less), wrappers like jBridge are more and more in the focus. The question is... for how long?
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

The question should be:

Why DAW developers should keep supporting old technology? Why they have to make the effort for the lack of updates of plug in developers?

For the plug in developers are responsible for making their products work on current platforms, specially since it has been quite a while since 64x came around.
dedication to flying

Compyfox wrote:Sheesh, why do you need to act like a stick in the mud all the time and insist that your opinion/comments are ultimate?!
No, that's what you're doing. Im pointing out flaws in your logic, something you really dont seem to be able to cope with.
The host industry IS aiming at going full x64 as of late. And it's about time.
Its not a monolothic industry, and most of the independent host developers are doing nothing of the sort.
Who knows when x128 OS's will hit
They wont. Not until you need to address more storage in RAM than currently exists as hard drive space on this planet.
, and when the host developers then decide "you know... let's go this route and drop support for everything else".
Do they do that by postal vote, or do they have a conference?
Apple started this - no warning beforehand, they just cut the 32bit support with Logic X and did not let ANYONE on board for a couple of weeks to come. By now, bridging should be possible.
Yeah, but that's Apple, who make planned obsolescence the cornerstone of their business.
AVID on the other hand even sued creators of wrappers that made it possible to not only bridge 32bit plugins to the new AAX 64bit engine, but also "load" VST plugins in ProTools. This also took a while until the madness toned down.
Absolute nonsense. Noone was sued. Sugarbytes were told their wrapper was a breach of the AAX developer agreement and they pulled it. Subsequently, at least 4 different AAX plugins hosting VST have appeared.
Sugarbytes plugin, unlike the ones which followed, made VST appear like AAX plugins in the menus.
Steinberg told me, in a really non-subtle manner, several times by now, that "64bit is the future".
The next host update is due in a couple of months I think. Chances are that Cubase will drop 32bit support as well at some point (maybe also VST2.x, which would be their own neck breaker since it's still flawed - though lucky for us, the VST3 SDK is backwards compatible!). Then again, in this case we have access to capable bitbridges/wrappers.
What, those thing that you said would disappear but I said were likely to become more useful?

Well congrats for taking the most argumentative route possible to basically concede I had a point.
And while we can still debate if 64bit plugins over 64bit VSTi (sample based) make sense, we can't overlook the fact that 32bit is slowly dying out. Heck even FlowStone and SynthEdit finally took a peek at 64bit!
Noone's debating that. Strawman.
So if hosts don't have bit bridges built in (which are getting less), wrappers like jBridge are more and more in the focus.
Umm, really? I woulda nevva thunk it if. Not even when you were telling me I was wrong for saying it. <cough> :roll:

rod_zero wrote:The question should be:

Why DAW developers should keep supporting old technology? Why they have to make the effort for the lack of updates of plug in developers?

For the plug in developers are responsible for making their products work on current platforms, specially since it has been quite a while since 64x came around.
There's no 'should' to it. They can if they want to. If they reckon they'll make more sales by doing so, why wouldnt they? Especially the independents. Also, I'd imagine there's plenty of people with legacy software and hardware that would be quite happy to only have to update their DAW software, not their entire PC and OS.

Not that my workflow is relevant to anyone else but I don't have much problem with it (x86 / x64) tbh.

Mostly because my work processes are (for the most part) separated. During production with VI's I use x64 to use more ram and don't even care that I can't access my 32-bit audio plugins. During mixing I boot into x86 and use all my favorite older audio plugs that aren't 64-bit yet. By that time all of the VI's are frozen or stemmed so ram is no longer an issue. I almost always mix in x86.

If I'm just tracking audio, live audio, I always work in x86.

During production in x64 with VI's I use mostly all stock Comps, EQ's, Verbs, etc, etc. If I have a goto plug in x86 I might replace some of those in the mix stage. Nothing is final until the mix stage anyway.

I don't think I own a single audio plug that's x86 only that would stop me from producing sample based music in x64 without it. Mixing is a different story, I do depend on some of those for mixing... like ThrillSeeker LA, I love that plugin.

Mmv as usual.

If I had as much time as our beloved whyterabbyt, and I'd get a dollar for every "post dissection" as he's doing - I'd be rich by now and chilling in a jacuzzi.

Compyfox wrote:If I had as much time as our beloved whyterabbyt, and I'd get a dollar for every "post dissection" as he's doing - I'd be rich by now and chilling in a jacuzzi.
I doubt it. You'd spend it doing even more whinging and griping than you do now.

Look who's talking.

It's remarkable how useful a "mute" function is.

At least I don't fall into insults. :tu:

I have a number of really useful and unique plugs, some very recently acquired, that aren't and may never be x64.
I'm using Cubase 5 which isn't. VE Pro will open both kinds of servers and I have no worries at all, since for me the very advent of x64 in I think late 2010.

All I know about Cubase's bit bridge is every part of it crashes when I rebuild preferences. I would guess it maybe doesn't work here. :)
I got an out of memory message from Kontakt the other day loading in the 32-bit, preferring a certain workflow with a certain amp sim, but fortunately I have many options. But there's more than one way to skin a cat. I would hate to be limited to the DAW host as spoiled as I am with VE Pro and this is not so trivial for me.

Bring back windows 98 support!!!!!! :party:

I have some old Win95 games that don't run on an x64 system. Sad day really...

arkmabat wrote:I have some old Win95 games that don't run on an x64 system. Sad day really...
Try DOSBox or VirtualBox.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”