64 Bit Versions of Virsyn Tera and Cube?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cube TERA

Hi Everyone,

I saw the news item here on KVR and also the Virsyn website that Tera and Cube are now available in 64 bit for PC. Does anyone know where to download these versions from? Do I just download the demo from the Virsyn website? I seem to recall that when the 64 bit version of Poseidon was issued I received a new download link - has anyone received an e-mail from Virsyn yet for Tera or Cube?

Thanks!

I've had an email about Cube 2.5 in the past few days or so.

I don't have Tera, although since the update, I'm thinking about it.

Thanks! I've sent an e-mail to Virsyn, but they haven't traditionally been great at responding quickly.

Yes, I received an email from Virsyn about Tera 3.5 update

I got an email about the Cube update with a link but I have not received one about Tera yet (I did email them back but so far not got a response) so I haven't been able to update Tera.

It was two separate emails but it looks like the password is the same in both cases if that is of any help.

I've been thinking of Poseidon since that is currently on special. I know that it's gotten fairly good reviews in the past. I'm wondering whether I should give that some serious thought? What are your guys thoughts on it. Does it bring anything interesting to the table? I've been super happy with Cube and Tera over the years... and especially now that I can use them in 64-bit. :tu:
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

I love Poseidon and it is my favorite of these three - at the current special price, I would recommend it. It still sounds "bigger" and fuller to me than other spectral synths. I think there is a demo available, too.

Poseidon is my favourite - still a great plugin and in many respects a predecessor of Iris, although it can also do things Iris can't (and visa versa of course).

Sequent wrote:It was two separate emails but it looks like the password is the same in both cases if that is of any help.
It could be but so far just changing the cube.dmg to tera.dmg or tera3.dmg in the download path isn't enough so mabye I need to try some other variations? What would be better is if they just created a full user area rather than giving these direct links.

aMUSEd wrote:Poseidon is my favourite - still a great plugin and in many respects a predecessor of Iris, although it can also do things Iris can't (and visa versa of course).
I've always been curious - Isn't Poseidon just one resynth engine from Cube whereas Cube has 4 that can be morphed? So what makes you like Poseidon better? Seems like a cut down version of Cube.

from the SOS review of Poseidon back in 2007:

"The sound-generation technique used by Poseidon is considered by many — especially those involved in academic synthesis research — to be the ultimate synthesis method. This is because theoretically it can synthesize any possible sound. It's certainly true that a very wide range of sounds is possible with Poseidon. However, a synth is more than just its oscillators. The biggest challenge, and maybe the biggest success of Virsyn's synths, is finding ways to make such an open-ended synthesis technology usable in a real instrument. With Cube, they chose morphing, using up to four sound-generator modules, with complex envelopes and modulator to crossfade between them. Poseidon takes quite a different approach, using just one of the sound engines from Cube, but with many possibilities for moving through a potentially complex sound space. This approach is easier to use, but the results can be almost as rich and evolving. In fact, to my ears, Poseidon actually sounds smoother and silkier than Cube. I suspect that this is partly because the effects in Poseidon are so nice. I also wonder if the fact that the synth has three less sound sources to deal with means that the single sound engine can afford to run at a higher quality, with higher sample rates."

Which also makes me wonder how an updated synth from Visyn might sound on one of today's machines where I imagine Harry would have a lot more cpu cycles to tap into. In other words, where the constraints of seven years ago might no longer be an issue.
Last edited by Sequent on Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Poseidon is my favourite - still a great plugin and in many respects a predecessor of Iris, although it can also do things Iris can't (and visa versa of course).
I've always been curious - Isn't Poseidon just one resynth engine from Cube whereas Cube has 4 that can be morphed? So what makes you like Poseidon better? Seems like a cut down version of Cube.
It has the same directness and user friendliness that Iris has, less clutter than Cube and different effects and I find I get better results with it, particularly when it comes to treating a sound as a landscape you can explore.

@aMUSEd, thank you very much for sharing your thoughts!

How would you compare Poseidon with Iris? My impression of Iris is that it's mostly about masks. My impression of Poseidon is that you're allowed to freely explore the sound terrain... as opposed to Iris moving in the one direction? I personally love Cube and it's my favorite of the VirSyn synths I have. I think I'll have to download the demo of Poseidon and give it a try.

Iris didn't grab me as like you said it seemed to be meant to travel in one direction and play through the sample. I prefer granular or spectral synths where you can change direction and at any speed you like. This is another thing about Iris, the time stretch mode seemed unusable (clicky and huge CPU usage).

I'm not sure yet what Cube allows but I much prefer simpler approaches so if Poseidon allows that easy granular style of traveling over a sound, that would be pretty cool. Although I do have Alchemy for that for am sometimes don't love it's spectral resynth quality compared to others.

You can move in both directions in Poseidon and Iris, as well as have multiple voices travelling at slightly different points.

Return to “Instruments”