No MIDI on Linux?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

@Symdeb - Just to clarify, a2jmidi and zita-ajbridge are different apps that do the same thing. The zita version is preferred, and I believe it's been integrated into the latest version of JACK1.

Best,

dp

Really just a "me too". To get external controllers working I have to stop jack doing midi stuff, and I find it frustrating that I can't get bitwig to control other softsynths. Stops the switch to linux+bitwig for me.

obxd, tal noisemaker, mda DX and JX, and PianoTeq, provide
a lot of sonic range, coupled with bitwigs effects.
Most linux native vsts will work, within their own
limits, none of the twenty or so I have failed to be recognized
by bitwigs browser.

While using Fedora 20, and an e-mu Xmidi2x2 usb interface,
I was able to load a wine/reaper running windows vsts
into the Hardware instrument router, so there are ways
to get more sound to join bitwigs collection, and you can
connect bitwig output within your normal linux workflow,
as a special deluxe rompler, to be effected and recorded.

And there will probably be some linux fixes and changes,
once the dust from win/mac users has settled in to some cash flow.
It ain't perfect, but it's gettin better 8)
Cheers

Honestly, I don't know why the Bitwigs prefer that we use Jack over ALSA. Seriously, Bitwig runs so much better under ALSA. With JACKd I get xruns and zero MIDI support. Running under ALSA is nothing but bliss for me. By the way, I'm running Ubuntu 12.04LTS (Ubuntu Dream Studio) under AMD64 architecture - 3gb AMD dual-core processor with 8gb's of RAM. I use an Axiom 25v1 as my main controller. If I have any gripes, it's that I can't run my Akai Pro MPD32 simultaneously with the Axiom. Then again, it might just be that I haven't figured out how to do it yet.

I suppose, if I wanted to pipe in some sf2 action using Qsynth, MAYBE, POSSIBLY, I'd run Jack for that, but I have a laptop running 64-bit Dream Studio on my mixer as an instrument (with two old ART effect processors), so I'd more than likely just play and record sf2's from there. I have two Axiom 61's (a 1st gen and a 2nd gen) on that side of the room. It's more comfortable for me to break out and do full range keyboard stuff over there anyway. Thankfully, with being able to register up to three machines, I'll be able to run Bitwig from the laptop, too.

Bitwig's a god-send for me. A reasonably priced professional-grade DAW that runs native under Linux? I've been playing with the demo for a couple of weeks now, and it's beyond impressive. I bought a license through my favorite online music store yesterday, and I'm hoping the package arrives by the end of the week so I can have the extended Labor Day weekend to mess with it and actually SAVE stuff!

Thank you Bitwig guys for thinking of us Linux people!

I have a M-Audio 24/96 card and am running Bitwig in Ubuntu Studio and am having trouble with the cards onboard MIDI ports. I found this forum after I had started asking and posting in the Ubuntu Studio forum.
Link to other info and help I am getting there:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... 0eb8ce3bd9

I am new to Linux. I got rid of Windows on all PCs and just my studio PC was still on XP and it was time put it and Pro Tools to rest. Using Superior Drummer on XP left a gap for me so a drum module (Alesis DM Pro) made its way into my studio (pretty impressive for older gear). But I need to drive it with loops from Bitwig and get audio back in. Most of my trial and error notes are from the help from jejeman on the other forum (thanks!) they are on the link above, if your new like me there are a few trouble shooting things you can run through, some under the hood Linux stuff that noobs like me have no idea about. He is still giving me things to work on as I type this.\ and I will keep trying.

Where I am at now is, the Jack Keyboard will see my M-Audio 24/96 MIDI OUT (and IN too I think) and play the drum machine. Bitwig will not see it (I am using the Jack Audio because I believe the settings can lower latency over ALSA but I have no idea how to check latency in ALSA so what do I know?). I tried all the bridging and such with out much luck as I think some others pointed out that is not the way to go.

So last night I grabbed my MIDI Sport Uno USB adaptor, plugged it in and low and behold it auto configured in my system and Bitwig saw it and it works and I can do the Hardware Instrument plug in and it works like a champ. Lopped audio from the drum module in and recorded it!

I could be wrong but I think Jack Audio is the way to go forward, and being that the M-Audio Delta series cards (24/95, 1010, 66,44 etc.) are kind of the "go to" card for us budget minded people (the Hammerfall stuff is way out of my $$$) it would be nice that if Jack Keyboard can see the cards MIDI ports without special work so should Bitwig. I'm hoping that they will go look at Jack Keyboard and figure out what it has going on and that will help, but I am no programmer and that is just the output side, I know people with controllers need the input side as well.

With that said maybe I'm a dinosaur here. These cards are almost out of production, most people have USB interfaces these days so it may be a moot point. I do have an Eleven Rack that has MIDI and I did not try that (I don't for a second expect Ubuntu Studio or Bitwig to see the Eleven Rack audio via USB, that is asking way too much so I won't go there).

But hey I am grateful that I can have a product like this and cut the ties to MS and Pro Tools, my outdated computer gear is suddenly up to date! I had high hopes for Ardour but there were a few things I was used to having that it did not do too well. And the developer sounded like he was starting to fade out on it and go work on full time paying gigs (I get that). Again not complaining through, reading online, that Ardour guy and team have really carried the Linux Studio torch for many years and without them Bitwig may have not done this in Linux. But all this from my limited perspective at this time. Just trying to share info with anyone else with a M-Audio card trying to get MIDI up and running. For now try an UNO USB Midi adapter.

Hi, you'll need to read the whole sticky thread above, about controller scripts,
if your midi controller isn't recognized.
There are just a couple cut/paste things to edit, and a unique
uuid to import from a web link. If I can do it, you can -->easily do it.
I have the same mAudio soundcard.
And probably older, and have more insurance (ala Fried Green Tomatoes)
Native linux vsts will work, put them in a folder in /home/you, and point
the bitwig vst browser there.
There is also a new vst wrapper for windows plugins, called airwave,
detailed in it's own thread.

There are three or four threads, now on back pages, that will discuss
navigating some invisible entries in a couple config menus,
using modprobe snd_virmidi to expose things,
how to pick the first invisible item, as a correct choice, and other
interesting remedies.

You'll soon have jackd i/o and start getting serious integration,
well worth some pots of coffee, if it doesn't drive you
to cough-ee pot :hihi:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... 0eb8ce3bd9

The items in brackets below, will be listed in qjackctl, when you click
the widgets on the Setup panel, far right,

Input Device > ^
Output Device > ^

$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: M2496 [M Audio Audiophile 24/96], device 0: ICE1712 multi [ICE1712 multi]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

$ arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: M2496 [M Audio Audiophile 24/96], device 0: ICE1712 multi [ICE1712 multi]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Select what is shown for those items, probably two choices, something like

hw:M2496,0

Cheers

Ok..

I've been a long time user of linux for audio, and have picked up a copy of Bitwig.. (will it replace my MPC 2500 with JJOS 128xl? let's give it some time and see but hopefully in the long run:))

This thing about no Jack MIDI is a bit scary, so I'm hoping there is some update soon.

For those wondering about why use Jack MIDI over ALSA... Here are 2 very big reasons.

1.) Jack MIDI integrates frame sync with MIDI... using ALSA Midi with Jack Audio or even ALSA Audio can result in drift between MIDI time and audio time. Jack MIDI does not drift away from audio or vice versa.

2.) To integrate Bitwig with all other modern Linux audio apps (e.g. Ardour3, Harrison Mixbus, and especially some standalone LV2 and DSSI hosts)

3.) Most serious firewire audio devices in Linux only work with libffado and jack, there is no ALSA option for these devices (this includes my main interface)

Running standalone, ALSA may be okay (this is how I did my initial testing to see if it was worth purchasing... I'm a bit annoyed I didn't test this on my main studio machine for MIDI as I assumed MIDI implementation would have to be complete before release.. but I'm hoping this is fixed very soon)..

Anyway .. that's a bit of background.. Just hoping this is sorted out..

Welcome to KVR, always the right place, at the right time,
except for the times it isn't :wink:

As of today, there is a ton of midi connectivity available. It has emerged,
sometimes dragged out kicking and screaming, or pried out of
unseen crevasses, but a sizeable number of linux experts, have done
excellent work, so the average Joe like me, can follow along, take notes,
and find success. It's near the point, where if you can imagine it,
someone can do it 8)

The 'Create your own controller...' sticky-guide to editing a
midi keyboard script, and a bakers dozen linux topics, are quite a read,
but well worth it, and will spill over into linux info helpful beyond just audio,
and you'll soon have your own discoveries to share.
Cheers

Return to “Bitwig”