Studio One 2: Record Portion of Audio Track to Another Audio Track

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Am trying to record a few bars from one audio track into a second audio track.

Looking for best/easiest way to do it.

thanks in advance for tips

Why do you need to record it, if it's an audio track already can't you just copy a selected range and paste it into another track?

Otherwise the second easiest method would be to add a bus and make the bus the input for the second audio track.

aMUSEd wrote:Why do you need to record it, if it's an audio track already can't you just copy a selected range and paste it into another track?
I'll try that, thanks. I didn't know I could copy/paste audio in S1.
aMUSEd wrote:Otherwise the second easiest method would be to add a bus and make the bus the input for the second audio track.
I'll do this if the above doesn't work. I appreciate your help.

Musical Gym wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Why do you need to record it, if it's an audio track already can't you just copy a selected range and paste it into another track?
I'll try that, thanks. I didn't know I could copy/paste audio in S1.
aMUSEd wrote:Otherwise the second easiest method would be to add a bus and make the bus the input for the second audio track.
I'll do this if the above doesn't work. I appreciate your help.
Actually you don't even need to use copy/paste - just use the range tool to select the portion of the audio you want to copy, then holding down the command key (I think on Windows that's called 'alt') drag it into the space below the track and S1 will create a track automatically with the copied segment.

Method 2 I would use if I have live effects in the track as well where I may want to record myself manipulating the effects 'live' - on the other hand if you didn't need to do that but wanted the fx to be incorporated into the audio just bounce in place then do the above.

Thanks again, I really appreciate those tips!

I tried it and it seems to work fine with the range tool and dragging down to create a new track when there isn't already an existing track beneath. I just moved the original to the bottom and went from there.

However, it looks like it copies the whole audio track, showing the portion I need to use.
Is there a way to copy only the audio from the selected range, leaving out the audio that isn't selected?

Yes that should do it, I have done this myself and it should only copy the selected section, perhaps you accidentally deselected it and dragged the whole track? It should work. Did you use command drag? (maybe on Windows it's a different keyboard modifier?). Anyway if the drag method isn't working for you just select using the range tool, then rightclick on the selected portion and copy/paste into the new track.

Thanks, copy/paste, ctr-drag, alt-drag all seem to copy the portion to a new track, but it's still the whole original, just cropped.

I can work with that. I think it may be accessing the original file anyway rather than creating multiple copies?

I'm going to watch some S1 videos so I can get the basics down like I should have done already.

I'm fairly new to Studio 2 so apologies if this isn't the 'right' way to do this but:

On Windows, it seems ctrl+drag and alt+drag both copy a selected section of audio to a new track (not sure if there is a difference..?). edit: yep, you've found that already. :)

The copy is a non-destructive copy which means it actually makes a virtual copy of the whole source audio but only shows the selected section. Then, if you realised you hadn't, for example, copied all the audio you needed, you could just drag the edges of the selection to show more of the source audio.

If you're sure you only want the bit you've selected then I believe you should right-click on the selection and select Bounce Selection. That will actually split the source audio so you can then copy the split section to your new track as before. If you wanted to 'glue' the source back together then select the three sections (shift+left click each) then select Merge to Audio part from the Audio menu.

edit: just noticed you can use Bounce Selection too to glue the bits back together. Neither seem to include any effects so not sure what the difference is... maybe take my advice with caution... :)

Something I realised recently was you don't need to switch to the range tool to select a range of audio, if you're using the arrow tool then just hold Ctrl to select a range.

HTH,

outstanding tips, thanks

I was thinking Bounce, but forgot to look for it.

It opens up a lot of different possibilities for manipulation of audio without leaving S1 to do it.

GaryG wrote: The copy is a non-destructive copy which means it actually makes a virtual copy of the whole source audio but only shows the selected section. Then, if you realised you hadn't, for example, copied all the audio you needed, you could just drag the edges of the selection to show more of the source audio.
That's right - it still references the whole file but just shows the portion selected unless you choose to drag it out. That's why it is non destructive, it isn't chopping up or changing the underlying file but just referencing it.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”