SCAMP 1.31 Released, adding OSX VST, AU and x64 support & new key-file auth system. 25% off sale!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SCAMP

Will there be a mailout for existing users when the updates are out of beta?

someone please find a bug! :-D
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

thecontrolcentre wrote:Will there be a mailout for existing users when the updates are out of beta?
A mailout of what? (We don't ever do mass mailings of any kind. If you want news from us, watch our site and/or subscribe to our developer and product pages here at KVR.)

http://www.kvraudio.com/developer/admiral-quality

AdmiralQuality wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:Will there be a mailout for existing users when the updates are out of beta?
A mailout of what? (We don't ever do mass mailings of any kind. If you want news from us, watch our site and/or subscribe to our developer and product pages here at KVR.)

I thought you might let existing customers know when their products were updated. I'm a long time Scamp and Poly-Ana user. Will keep an eye on the website.
Last edited by thecontrolcentre on Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thecontrolcentre wrote:
AdmiralQuality wrote:

I thought you might let existing customers know when their products were updated. I'm a long time Scamp and Poly-Ana user.
Nope. We don't SPAM you. Ever.

arguably, updates aren't exactly spam - the users would probably be happy to get notified about updates (in contrast to spam).
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

What about the keys for the new versions? Will they not be sent out?

I've requested one for Poly-Ana but nothing has turned up (it was only yesterday though). Do we wait? Do I try again?

Gamma-UT wrote:What about the keys for the new versions? Will they not be sent out?

I've requested one for Poly-Ana but nothing has turned up (it was only yesterday though). Do we wait? Do I try again?
Check your spam folders. If nothing's there, email us again.

I just downloaded the latest beta's ... do I need to request new keys?

thecontrolcentre wrote:I just downloaded the latest beta's ... do I need to request new keys?
Only if you'd like new keys. :)

(I'll send them out right now, Dave.)

AdmiralQuality wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:I just downloaded the latest beta's ... do I need to request new keys?
Only if you'd like new keys. :)

(I'll send them out right now, Dave.)
Got 'em. Thanks. :)

i've managed to test it out a bit on some loop (in crappy headphones and having nothing but REAPER and SCAMP :-D). i can safely say i'll pass. while great filters are always nice to have, i don't feel it is different enough to Oligarc and Etch filters (which i own) to warrant the purchase. it's super-smooth though, and an interesting concept all around, i'll give it that :-)

one thing i noticed is that if i turn up resonance, it sounds very different if i put it in Eco mode. as in, different feedback pitch altogether. is that a bug you were looking for? :-D also, is it supposed to be following the envelopes if all the knobs are set to "off"? i.e. can SCAMP act like a normal, fixed filter?

Burillo wrote: one thing i noticed is that if i turn up resonance, it sounds very different if i put it in Eco mode. as in, different feedback pitch altogether. is that a bug you were looking for?
From the docs (that nobody reads):
SCAMP documentation wrote: Finally there is the Quality switch. Setting this switch to ECONO (economy) will cut the internal
oversampling by half, requiring about half as much CPU power. Note that the ECONO setting will
also drop the cutoff frequency of the filter by one octave (this can even be used to effect in
performance!) so after switching to ECONO mode you may want to adjust the Cutoff Frequency
higher to compensate.

also, is it supposed to be following the envelopes if all the knobs are set to "off"? i.e. can SCAMP act like a normal, fixed filter?
Yes it can and if all modulation sources are off it should be filtering at a fixed frequency. The three sources of modulation are the Envelope Followers, the MIDI CC# input (and optionally, note tracking) and the LFO. If all of these are set to zero it should be filtering at a fixed frequency. If it's not, please send us an .fxp file that demonstrates the issue or otherwise describe how you set your patch so we can replicate it. But as far as I know, there is no such issue.

OK i might have not turned off everything, i'll check that.

can't this cutoff frequency drop be compensated somehow? i mean, it's kind of counter-intuitive the way it is now - say, i want to use economy mode while tracking and normal mode during mixdown - as it stands, i'll have to adjust cutoff frequency (which means, adjusting automation and such) before i do that.

Burillo wrote:OK i might have not turned off everything, i'll check that.

can't this cutoff frequency drop be compensated somehow? i mean, it's kind of counter-intuitive the way it is now - say, i want to use economy mode while tracking and normal mode during mixdown - as it stands, i'll have to adjust cutoff frequency (which means, adjusting automation and such) before i do that.
I hear you. But but really, in this day and age there's no reason to not run SCAMP in high quality mode. (SCAMP first came out in early 2006 when there were a lot of less powerful computers in use.)

But again, by doing it this way it also provided a feature in that it becomes an "octave switch". You can perform it musically and automate it.

Also we can't change it now, as that would break everyone's existing projects. We don't do that, ever. (Normally that's not a promise we make during a Beta period, but this Beta is a bit unique as it's within the same major version number. Once we've gone to a full version 1.0 on any product, we never do anything within that same major version number that breaks backward compatibility.) But if/when we do a SCAMP 2.x I'll consider it. (And with our new Upgrade Protection Policy, SCAMP 1.x licensees already have a SCAMP 2.x license!)

Sorry if you don't like it. If it's a show stopper for you then SCAMP probably isn't what you're looking for. It's quite intentionally an effect with a lot of quirkiness and character. There is an effect version that comes with Poly-Ana though, Poly-AnaFX, that can do virtually everything SCAMP can do and more. And in that one, yes, the quality control (which has 5 different settings) does behave like you want. (The Poly-Ana and Poly-AnaFX filter is virtually identical to SCAMP's, except Poly-AnaFX has 24 of them! No multi-channel I/O on Poly-Ana, but I get the feeling that SCAMP is only very rarely used for more than 2-channel/stereo anyway. There's also no 1 (-6dB/oct) or 3 pole (-18dB/oct) option on Poly-Ana's filters, only 2 (-12dB/oct) and 4 pole (-24db/oct), but on the other hand the modulation and envelope follower options on Poly-AnaFX are WAY more capable! And you can bring the oscillators and keyboard into play as well!)

LAST WARNING...

We've had zero bug reports in BETA 2, so the next update is going to return to regular Release status, as will the pricing. So if you want to take advantage of our half price Buy-it-in-Beta offer, you have until next Monday, September 15. (Assuming no show-stopper bug reports come in before then.)

Please help spread the word. Thanks to everyone for the testing. It's great to have SCAMP back as a viable product! Now that we've got all the cross-platform issues ironed out, we'll be getting back to releasing new products very soon.

http://www.admiralquality.com/products/SCAMP

Return to “Effects”