Did devs vote for themselves?

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Fair approach would be to technically prohibit voting for yourself.
Or, better, just give everyone 5 points by default.
My free VST guitar effects
www.soft-amp.com

AXP wrote:Or, better, just give everyone 5 points by default.
Yes, everyone's a winner :D

One question : don't you think that removing the votes given by all the developers will change absolutely nothing for the final results, knowing the total number of votes ? :hihi:

tomicious wrote:I have been too busy with bug fixing
Not a good strategy when trying to get votes either, less bugs = bigger chance to win ;)

Wolfen666 wrote:One question : don't you think that removing the votes given by all the developers will change absolutely nothing for the final results, knowing the total number of votes ? :hihi:
Of course it won't. The only thing it would get rid of is the ethical dilemma of voting for yourself :)
My free VST guitar effects
www.soft-amp.com

AXP wrote:The only thing it would get rid of is the ethical dilemma of voting for yourself :)
I fail to see the dilemma

AXP wrote:The only thing it would get rid of is the ethical dilemma of voting for yourself :)
That is the unspoken reason why I started the thread :hihi:

blurk wrote:... I recall reading at least one other developer referring to only voting for entries outside the category for their entry, though that may have been a previous competition.
Yeah, that's me, did the same last DC too. That why I can participate just as a pure and unbiased 'KVRian' too, without having to think of a 'voting strategy ' and I can sleep peacefully with a clear conscience.

I did not vote for the plug in I was involved in (GUI). And I am happy with that decision. Andrew did not vote for it too so we are both quite happy with hiting rank 13. I voted for stuff I tried and liked and where I could see usage in future productions of mine.
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

I guess that if voting for ourselves was not ethical, it simply wouldn't be allowed.
You'll end up criticizing rules themeselves. :phones:
"For some reason everyone on this site hates Roger Nichols, loves Zebra, doesn't need a Virus (unless it's TI), uses Reaper, and thinks the Kaoss pad is cool: remember these rules and you'll be popular." (blackboyrockinit)

Self votes is quite clearly unethical, and should result in a DQ if you ask me. That's why Eurovision has as it's golden rule that one may NOT vote for their country. It's the same golden rule I follow when I didn't vote for my own plugin. Belief in my own product? Sure thing got that. But it isn't really about my belief in my own plugin in this contest. It's all about what the end user finds most valuable for his / her production. A chorus won this time around, and with a really good reason: It sounds really good.
Best regards from Johan Brodd.
JoBroMedia since 1996.

jobromedia wrote:Self votes is quite clearly unethical, and should result in a DQ if you ask me. That's why Eurovision has as it's golden rule that one may NOT vote for their country. It's the same golden rule I follow when I didn't vote for my own plugin. Belief in my own product? Sure thing got that. But it isn't really about my belief in my own plugin in this contest. It's all about what the end user finds most valuable for his / her production. A chorus won this time around, and with a really good reason: It sounds really good.
I agree with you there. Personally, I skipped voting since I was clearly biased. I can't image that it would affect the outcome, though, so I guess it is more like a personal (or corporate) decision... :-)

Best,
Stian

I don't think voting for your own entry is unethical. If I think my entry is clearly better than other entries it's simply a further opinion. Of course, it's a different thing if it's only done hoping to win but knowing that the own entry sucks. If voting for your entry is unethical, what about friends voting for one's entry? They are as well clearly biased.

That said I didn't vote for my entry. The last DC I found other entries I thought of as better and this DC I hadn't had the time to test all or at least the interesting looking entries so I didn't vote at all.

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”