Problem sampling low frequency sounds

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The sound I'm trying to capture is our glass shower door. When hit it makes this really cool low frequency boom with really cool reverb while in the shower that. The sounds lasts a good several seconds. I am just using a Tascam DR-40 with the built in mics. When playing the recording back on the computer it seems like I am completely unable to capture that low booming sound, only the shorter high frequency initial hit.

So do I need to change something in how I record the sound? Or do you think it would be mostly the style of mic won't pick that sound up? Pre-amps not good enough? I'm not really sure where to start (don't have any external mics to test with or anything).

On a side note: any good tutorials for things to know when starting out getting into sampling, or field recording?

Primary is the mic and what it can capture, so start there.

Just a hunch: do you by any chance have the low cut filter engaged? If so, you have just found out that it works as expected. ;-)

The DR-40 has selectable 40Hz/80Hz/120Hz low cut settings, according to the specs. I don't have the unit myself, but why would Tascam lie? :-D

That would be on top of my search agenda…

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

bltpyro wrote:When playing the recording back on the computer it seems like I am completely unable to capture that low booming sound, only the shorter high frequency initial hit.
Just another thought – how do you listen to your shower cabinet door recording? Good earphones? Or can you see from the waveform in your DAW/editor or your spectrum analyser that the low frequencies aren't there?

In other words, do you know for certain that the apparent lack of "boom" in your recording isn't a playback issue?

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

jancivil wrote:Primary is the mic and what it can capture, so start there.
What do you think would be a better mic for this kind of thing?
Spitfire31 wrote:Just a hunch: do you by any chance have the low cut filter engaged?
No the low cut isn't engaged. It would be nice if it were that easy!
Spitfire31 wrote:Just another thought – how do you listen to your shower cabinet door recording? Good earphones? Or can you see from the waveform in your DAW/editor or your spectrum analyser that the low frequencies aren't there?
It is true I wasn't using the best earphones when listening to the samples, but something I noticed was if I tried to turn the signal up there was a lot of noise that might be drowning out the signal. I wonder if I didn't have the input level high enough. Searching online I did find a review of the DR-40 that said cell phones cause bad interference noise unless they are over 10 ft away, and mine was practically right next too it. I think I will try to re-record the samples with a higher input and my phone in a different room.

Thanks for the input!

One thing I am aware of focused on bass is the Electro Voice RE20, which is for one thing designed to cut down on proximity effect which is going to be a factor I think in your scenario.
But that's expensive I think. More generally any respectable mic is going to give you more than what you have there.

bltpyro wrote:On a side note: any good tutorials for things to know when starting out getting into sampling, or field recording?
The cleanest recordings can be made near the amish ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20629671

Same stuff in the US, so maybe turn off the circuit to the bathroom for a cleaner recording.

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

I don't know the Dr40, but my Tascam DR2D's built-in mics aren't great on bass response. The may well roll off the bass deliberately on the built-in mics for handheld devices because you will get less handling and wind-noise that way, so the first thing to try is using some good external mics that do have good bass. Or just crank the bass on the EQ of the resulting audio and see if that brings it back.

jancivil wrote:One thing I am aware of focused on bass is the Electro Voice RE20, which is for one thing designed to cut down on proximity effect which is going to be a factor I think in your scenario.
But that's expensive I think. More generally any respectable mic is going to give you more than what you have there.
The mics on the Tascam aren't made for this, and the roll-off switch is there to cut down on rumble from the Tascam itself or the table/stand it's on for recording.

As jancivil says, you pretty much need a large-diaphragm dynamic or condenser mic to capture very low frequencies. And if there's a "boom", there's probably going to be a fair amount of air pressure on the mic down there, so adjust your levels accordingly.

The Tascam probably can't power a condenser mic, so a large-diaphragm dynamic mic is probably your only choice. And if you can't roll off the "proximity effect" on the mic, us an "omni" polar pattern (if possible); this basically does the same thing, though you'll pick up sound from all around the mic.

If you can't get a large-diaphragm dynamic mic, try any decent dynamic external mic. For this purpose, even the good old Sure SM57 might sound better than the Tascam mics.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Although this is an old thread.... I offer a correction to the previous post for future readers.
Tascam DR-40 does have phantom power for powering a condenser mic.

I was hoping that there would have been a follow up to this post, but I would tend to think that a Condenser Mic would be the way to go.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”