BUG: Don't load the exact position of Macros knobs

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BitWig version 1.0.13

Problem: When try to open a Instrument Layer preset that I already saved, all Macro Knobs never are where I saved!

I tried in 3 ways. 1st, saving a Instrument layer preset, 2nd, saving a clip, 3th, saving a song. Ever fail to load exactly how saved. It is very fustrating, I was spend about 2 hours doing a 3 layered kick drum, and now don't sound how I did :x

How to reproduce:
I can send you (by private message) the presets that I had the problem, and then try it. Only need to click on arrows to pass from a preset to another and then back again (load 1st, then 2nd, then 3th, then 2nd again), and you will notice that some of the macro knobs are not in the same position, an also, don't sound the same.

I had this issue too recently with a few plugins. One plugin was the UAD Roland Space Echo. If I remember correctly, getting the knobs and the macros in sync has to be done every time I restart Bitwig.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Did you send this to tech-support already?
This shouldn't happen.
http://www.bitwig.com/en/support/tech-support.html
Please include or link the presets.

(Just to be sure: you didn't by any chance modulate/automate them somehow?)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

No, it is not automated or modulated. My theory is that when you load a presets, Bitwig first load the positions of Macro Knobs, and then the positions of the knob plugins .

I will try to reproduce, with a simply preset. If not, I will send to this site.

EDIT: I can't reproduce it, because I have another problem.

The Macro knobs that I assigned in Bipolar mode, only works when turning upward, but not downward.

I create this presets on Bitwig 1.0.11, and now I am on 1.0.13.

I am continuing doing test while I write this. I tried to close and open again Bitwig, same problem, bipolar mode don't turn downward knobs where are assigned, I turned the Macro Knob to the bottom and then restores de movement. But, the first problem is there. So... I will send a report.
Last edited by Napalm Candy on Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:tu:
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

Report sent :tu:

I do some tests... I am almost sure that the problem it is only with the Bipolar mode of the Macro Knobs, I tried to do the same FX chain doing without this Bipolar mode, and it seems to save and load well. So, for the moment, I will avoid using the bipolar mode.

billcarroll, can confirm this hypothesis?

Hm - there was a bug fixed with that just recently. If there are more problems with bipolar macros, Tech-Support would sure be interested to hear about it.

Cheers,

Tom

:(

There is also a problem when not using bipolar mode, but I don't find where is the problem, I see no differences in knobs positions, but in sound.

The problem it is not only when save a preset, clip, or song, also occurs when duplicate a track. I think, I will do a video.

Napalm Candy wrote:I do some tests... I am almost sure that the problem it is only with the Bipolar mode of the Macro Knobs, I tried to do the same FX chain doing without this Bipolar mode, and it seems to save and load well. So, for the moment, I will avoid using the bipolar mode.

billcarroll, can confirm this hypothesis?
I have issues with regular mode when assigning macros to the UAD Roland RE-201 Space Echo controls. I just opened a project and had to reset the ranges again.

Also, when changing presets the macros are not updated with any values from the plugin. Is this normal?
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Hm - another question: are/were the macros mapped to a controller on creation? (just brainstorming here).

I think BWS has still probems with UAD plugins not showing parameter names, is that correct? Maybe that is related?

As for the second question: Can you clarify? BWS Presets or UAD Presets? From reading your question I would have said that Macros control the plugin, not the other way around, but I may missunderstand the question.

This starts to sound more serious by the minute... thanks for reporting this.

Cheers,

Tom

ThomasHelzle wrote:Hm - another question: are/were the macros mapped to a controller on creation? (just brainstorming here).

I think BWS has still probems with UAD plugins not showing parameter names, is that correct? Maybe that is related?

As for the second question: Can you clarify? BWS Presets or UAD Presets? From reading your question I would have said that Macros control the plugin, not the other way around, but I may missunderstand the question.

This starts to sound more serious by the minute... thanks for reporting this.

Cheers,

Tom
True, UAD plugins are still not showing parameter names. Could be related, but maybe not.

As for the presets, I'm talking about UAD presets. Should knob positions get reported back to Bitwig so the macro knobs are updated? Certainly something I'd hope to see happen.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Thanks for clarifying.
I don't think Macros should change when you change plugin-internal presets.
Macros are basically modulations on parameters, so if you for instance automate them, they have a fixed value that is modifying those parameters based on the initial state of the parameter.
So if your plugin preset changes a parameter, only the basis value changes with the "modulation" added on top, depending on how you set the influence and direction. I don't see how this could be any different?
Especially since you can assign macros to several parameters.

I fear that can only be solved by using neutral macro settings while browsing through presets.

Does that make sense?

Cheers,

Tom

I am uploading a video, because I find 2 problems related to Macro Knobs.

About video:

On first example, the problem is with CamelPhat, the FilterCutOff knob and Resonance change when duplicate, when save and then load, or simply delete and undo.

On second example, the problem is with the Filter knob of sampler assigned to a Macro Knob, you can see it depend what preset you loaded before, it load in one way or other, look at the 5th knob called "Prefiltro" when I load next preset and then back again.

http://youtu.be/XczAXXyLRDw

PS. There are some digital noises related to the audio driver and software that I used to capture video and sound, it is not related to BitWig

Tomorrow I will try to reproduce the third problem, when Bipolar mode don't move when turning downward.

Outch, please send this to tech-support as well.
I have never seen anything like that so far.

Thanks again for the detailed reporting!

Cheers,

Tom

Return to “Bitwig”