Komplete 10 Date - Oct. 1 2014

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What do people hope to see in an update for Massive?

hermbot wrote:What do people hope to see in an update for Massive?
Real sample & hold, more waveforms, new approaches to unison/spread, more/better effects, waveform import.

hermbot wrote:What do people hope to see in an update for Massive?
Honestly, I'd be happy with nothing more than a cleaner, more modern looking GUI. I want to like Massive, but I just hate using it because the interface is so cluttered. Just my 2c, ymmv, yada yada...
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Expand the morph abilities, an x-y pad window view, where one can assign patches to morph between, and also FX

I think Massive's interface is anything BUT cluttered. It's very well thought out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV6tzWFZB5s

Surely nothing more than a dedicated controller keyboard right?
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

EvilDragon wrote:I think Massive's interface is anything BUT cluttered. It's very well thought out.
It's not bad as it is, but I find it kind of "optimized" for Kore and as that was a cul-de-sac, they could maybe get it more in line with the workflow of Maschine instead.

Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

I am always amused when people talk about how there are "no updates to the core synths" and "it's a bunch of ensembles" with what feels like some amount of derision. Sure, it would be great if it included Reaktor 6, Massive 2, FM9. However, in a lot of ways, I'm more interested by the fact there are 3 new Reaktor Ensembles than a bit of tweaking around the edges of Massive - realistically, the core of the synth is sound and whole scale changes is on balance more likely to ruin it. To my mind, the ensembles are essentially soft synths that happen to sit in a Reaktor wrapper. So, a minor niggle when you're instantiating one of those synths which maybe slows you down by a few seconds. Then for the entire duration of composing, programming, mixing and tweaking a song it's in place.

An interesting comparison I would draw is between the recent Reaktor based synths and other commercial synths. For example, compare Monark against Arturia's emulation. For me, Monark is better in every department. I can cope with it being in the wrapper. Compare Prism against AAS Chromaphone. Not exactly the same synthesis type but I'd argue it's a ballpark sound they both get. Chromaphone is probably a bit better sounding but Prism is still a lovely sounding synth. On it's own it's half the price of Chromaphone, less if you get it as part of Komplete. Of course, it would be better if you could load those Reaktor ensembles as normal VSTi's but as i say... it's not such a hassle to my thinking.

So, I'm really curious to see what Kontour, Rounds and Polyplex offer once NI get past the "ooooo mysterious teaser" phase.

That said, my personal evaluation of price to products that interest me on a personal level usually means that I only ever update every second iteration of Komplete. I'm currently on 8 and so the chances are I'll definitely update to 10. Reasonable chance of going to 10U especially if Molekular isn't in the standard version. I'm also in the market place for a new bigger controller keyboard so I'll be curious to see how these ones stack up against the competition.

Sorry if I got a bit long winded...

Numanoid wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:I think Massive's interface is anything BUT cluttered. It's very well thought out.
It's not bad as it is, but I find it kind of "optimized" for Kore and as that was a cul-de-sac, they could maybe get it more in line with the workflow of Maschine instead.
Kore had 8 knobs. Maschine has 8 knobs. Massive has 8 macro knobs. All good there. :P

EvilDragon wrote:Kore had 8 knobs. Maschine has 8 knobs. Massive has 8 macro knobs. All good there. :P
Maschine got 16 pads that would be nice to utilize in some "hybrid" way too ;)

I think the received wisdom is right - Komplete is a bargain on every other release, even if you only touch a third if it, and K10 (and especially K10U) looks set to continue the trend. But Kontrol looks like such a missed opportunity, I agree with the comments that 8 knobs just ain't enough for programming. I use the Avid Artist for this (via Cubase's Quick Controls) and it's brilliant for quick automation, but that's about it. There might be a few pretty bells and whistles here, but coulda shoulda been so much more - a really useful, versatile programmer is still the holy grail. Oh, and no 88 key model is a glaring omission.

But hey, still leaves Komplete itself.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

I'm okay with the number of knobs, but I would prefer a 36 key - keyboard.

noiseboyuk wrote:Oh, and no 88 key model is a glaring omission.
It wouldn't sell well. People needing it are in the minority. Plus, then they would need to expand it with more knobs, displays, etc. to fill the empty space, which means completely retooling the PCBs and everything, which is just not viable to do financially just for ONE size of the keyboard. I suppose that's why they didn't do it.

EvilDragon wrote:
noiseboyuk wrote:Oh, and no 88 key model is a glaring omission.
It wouldn't sell well. People needing it are in the minority. Plus, then they would need to expand it with more knobs, displays, etc. to fill the empty space, which means completely retooling the PCBs and everything, which is just not viable to do financially just for ONE size of the keyboard. I suppose that's why they didn't do it.
Sounds waaaay better though, doesn't it? :-)

I think the missed market is in the MUCH larger number of controls. An expander (smaller footprint) and 76 / 88 key versions could be viable.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Return to “Instruments”