On MPK Mini and flimsy USB ports

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello folks,

I've been needing a portable keyboard (still have my trusty old PCR-800 going strong on the desktop).
After a lot of reading and checking videos and whatnot, I've reduced my options to either the NanoKey2+NanoPad2 or the MPK Mini (the iRig keyboard -forgot the reference- seems cool as well but it doesn't have the pads, which I'd prefer).

The thing is I read nothing but horror stories about the MPK Mini USB port coming lose or breaking, and not even for messy people, it seems for everybody no matter how well they've -allegedly- treated it.
Also the same problem seems to apply to Akai's LPK25 (whatever).

I tried searching for mods to improve the USB connection area and the like, but I only find the now popular "pad sensitivity" mod.

Now, the question is, was it a bad batch or something, have they improved it at all (I can't even tell if they have released re-revisions over time)? Do anyone around here has it, has used it constantly and it's still rocking solid after a year or so?

Thanks a lot for your time.
What better religion than music itself?

I have a mini for about two years and I've never experienced any trouble : ) . One of the best buys i have ever did . Personally I can not relate to the issue mentioned, works even in every live on stage situation, what can not be said for every product.

I had an LPK25 and sure enough, the mini USB died. I rarely plugged/unplugged that side (usually worked from the standard plug Mac/PC side).

However, I have another LPK25 and and MPK mini that have lasted longer with no problems. For the price, I'd be inclined to say take the chance, but still suggest leaving the mini-side plugged in.

The rest of the hardware is top-notch in my opinion for what it is.

JoeCat wrote:I had an LPK25 and sure enough, the mini USB died. I rarely plugged/unplugged that side (usually worked from the standard plug Mac/PC side).
I'm guessing there was no DIY fix for that, right?

Thanks for your replies guys.
Put me in a hard position. To trust or not to trust :o

kpsychedelic wrote:
JoeCat wrote:I had an LPK25 and sure enough, the mini USB died. I rarely plugged/unplugged that side (usually worked from the standard plug Mac/PC side).
I'm guessing there was no DIY fix for that, right?

Thanks for your replies guys.
Put me in a hard position. To trust or not to trust :o
The micro-USB is probably a standard part - if you can cross-reference it and are handy with a soldering iron it's probably replaceable (but not repairable). I don't think I bothered because the unit on sale was under $40USD and honestly not worth the effort (especially since I probably would have ordered and paid for the wrong part - there are a ton of those USB connectors).

JoeCat wrote: The micro-USB is probably a standard part - if you can cross-reference it and are handy with a soldering iron it's probably replaceable (but not repairable). I don't think I bothered because the unit on sale was under $40USD and honestly not worth the effort (especially since I probably would have ordered and paid for the wrong part - there are a ton of those USB connectors).
I see.
Well in not the best DIY guy out there but I dabble myself into electronics a bit do that wouldn't be an issue. I guess I'll check of the required part can be bought. Too bad (but expected) that all posts on Akai's customer help site redirect the user to a help and repair center telephone (I don't have access to those in my country, nor the chance to return products because of shipping costs to US and so on).

For the length I had mine, the port functioned fine. The problem was when my wife knocked it off a short table (cable was still plugged in) it landed on the cable, and snapped the port right off the board internally.

I've read posts where people have tried to re-solder the port to the board, but with little to no success. Probably would have to send it back to a repair center and have the swap the main board inside.

I couldn't be arsed with it, so I bought a Korg Microkey25, which uses a standard USB device cable/port. It is much more sturdy. Or course, with the korg, you lose the knobs and pads, but you gain a joystick control. It's a trade off yeah, but I just feel the Korg microkey is more reliable and sturdy. Plus the keys feel way better than the Akai LPK/MPK-Mini keys. (but they're still micro keys)

Anyway, YMMV and all that. I liked the Akai for what it was, it's just the port was just flimsy, and wasn't really in a housing internally. It was just a metal port slapped onto the board, and hence, was easy to break off. :/
"Whatever you do, make good art." -- Neil Gaiman
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | YouTube | Blackjack Rose | Studio Gear List
Primary Instruments: Roland VR-730, Deepmind 12 | Other Instruments: Nord Lead 2X, Roland JD-Xi

Thanks for your input Vaylos.
I think the MicroKey25 is pretty cool, and even if only $15 USD cheaper, I'm still considering the Nanokey2.
In any case I'm getting the NanoPad2, so I should be ok with the lack of pads that the MPK would leave me with.
However, I'm still not sure if I want the MicroKey over the Nano (also the Nano is lighter and smaller).
I know Nano keys probably aren't that good regarding the MicroKey or the MPK but... well... I ain't making no symphony with it (and as I say I do have my "proper" desktop keyboard on the PCR-800).

But definitely I'm not getting the MPK, as much as I'd like to. Matter of fact, I'd stay away mentally from now on in regards to Akai's products, not saying that they'll hire a design team that can solve the huge problem that is putting a non-sucking USB port some day :wink:

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Here is the only practical fix which works. It's pretty easy to do

http://www.jaredqpittman.com/akai-lpk25 ... sb-socket/ (http://www.jaredqpittman.com/akai-lpk25-fixing-a-broken-usb-socket/)

I did it and I'm not that technically inclined..

Thorinn, the link to the repair page does not work. Do you have a copy or another link for how to do the repair.

Thanks,
Anzio

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”