Record web address into an audio channel in A DAW.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i want to stream a web page into an audio channel on my workstation. Like youtube has a lot of great sounds i want to mix live, and i want at least like 10 different web tabs playing at once. I want to record each page on its own channel, so i can adjust levels and mix separately as i listen.

Is there a web browser vst? Most browser settings you cant set the sound card options. Is there some kind of codact i need?

Is there a way to assign a web browser on my operating system? example Firefox on audio 1, Google chrome on audio 2.

any incite or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Bad idea....
1) random adverts instead of your video starting
2) bandwidth choking with many videos
3) cannot perform when offline

Better use a mp3 ripper for youtube or "record what you hear" of your soundcard. Does the same...

And 4) copyright ;-)
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I have a great bandwidth connection, i stream how ever much i need. I just need the means to do so separately. Im not using it for performing, its for recording. Everyone says that, just rip it and use it, but i wana manipulate as i am hearing it for the first time. I cant be leave this does not exist, which is why im asking on here :help:

Unless you build your own software, this is likely impossible based on today's OS's and applications. I'm not aware of any web browser which enables you to specify a different audio channel for each web page - that's the kind of thing you would be looking for (or I'd be looking for if I was in your situation)

Most applications, excluding audio applications, use the default configured soundcard for all audio. If you look at something like VLC, you can select a device to playback your stream/video/mp3 back through, which isn't your main soundcard, much like Live/Logic/Reaper.. all that crew. Firefox/Chrome/IE/Opera probably won't give the user the option to select another output other than the default system out. In fact I'd be fairly sure of this - it's highly unlikely the developers of these tools will decide that it's best for the user to choose the audio output in a web browser; it just introduces unecessary complications.

Bad news is that current OS's aren't designed to offer this kind of functionality, at least with any great ease.

It's also unlikely anyone will build a VST which behaves like a web browser - that just isn't going to happen anytime soon, I posit. (unless you build your own)

Best thing you could do is buy a load of cheapo netbooks, and a multi-input soundcard, and do the obvious from here.

This is based on Windows and OSX experience - there might be a LINUX solution somewhere out there, no idea really.

Hope that helps!

CinningBao wrote:If you look at something like VLC, you can select a device to playback your stream/video/mp3 back through, which isn't your main soundcard, much like Live/Logic/Reaper.. all that crew.
Might be a good start with VLC then.

If using RME soundcards, you have TotalMix from them - which allows making submixes - and a mixerlike console to do that.

But any external mixer may be used and then ran back into computer if that is what you want. Either analog or digital external mixer.

And there are submix units for making the same thing - really designed to give each musician it's own mix while recording.

So a multiout soundcard is a start.

Maybe some new ideas for you....
:)

Well that's a really interesting idea. Would open up new ways for mashups etc.

I went on and tried it with the mighty insert piz here's KVRbrowser, which is a VST-plugin meant for, well, browsing KVR. :P It has the usual browser features like back and forward buttons, location bar and so on and appears to use the operating system's web browser embedded into the plugin. For me right now, that means IE. No tabs, but multiple instances would do the trick.

It would play back videos from Youtube, but wouldn't play back sound. Either that is disabled in the plugin, or as is usual, the sequencer takes over the sound card and no other applications can use it. Even though I would reckon IE to be a subprocess here, perhaps it still can't play back audio because of that.

So I would say it's possible, but would need someone who has the ability (to muck about the code) to make it work.

KVRbrowser is available here: http://code.google.com/p/pizmidi/downloads/list --- including the source code. I'm no C++ wizard, but looking at the source code, it does have audio processing blocks. It just doesn't work on my computer at the moment.

Perhaps give it a try?

Another possibility might be to use some sort of virtual audio cable/loopback software that would allow you to link audio sources to where you want. There's not a lot of those (on Windows), but there are some.

Maybe virtual audio stream from ddmf? http://www.virtualaudiostream.com/

I gather you're using Windows, but for what it's worth, on a Mac you can use Audio Hijack Pro in conjunction with Soundflower (free) to route the audio from a web browser (or any other app) to your DAW, a specific track, or whatever app you want (provided the receiving app has configurable input settings). I've had lots of fun routing browser-based instruments through plugins and such this way. I'm not in front of my laptop at the moment, so I can't check; but you MAY be able to hijack two or more webrowsers at once this way. Still at the moment I'm not sure.

Huh, interesting idea!

It might be possible if each browser tab has its own thread (like Chrome). You could probably process each with a modular network-aware environment like Pure Data and pass on to your DAW. I'm learning Pure Data right now, not 100% it would work but it seems within the realm of possibility.

Wouldnt this do what you need http://www.ddmf.eu/product.php?id=11

Just tried hijacking multiple web browsers (Safari and Chrome) at the same time with Audio Hijack Pro and it works. However I'm still attempting to figure out if I can send each browser's sound to a separate audio channel (using Soundflower). At the moment Audio Hijack Pro appears to force them to share the same channel (whichever one I use), but I'm still exploring the matter.

Figured it out. So, yup; Audio Hijack Pro can route (using Soundflower) the audio from separate web browsers to separate tracks in your DAW (for example) at the same time. It's actually quite easy to set up ... if you have a Mac. :borg: :wink:

Eh, good work! You might know this already, but if you make copies of your applications (Firefox 2, Firefox 3, etc) this may well present individual, say, Firefox applications for AHP to use as sources. So rather than being limited to Safari, Chrome, Firefox.. you can have as many applications sources as AHP can handle!

Tempted to try out AHP now..

I agree with the recommendations on a virtual audio cable, in addition to the ddmf standalone, there's this free one- http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Cable/index.htm, if you want to use ASIO and play in realtime, there's this -http://midithru.net/Home/AsioLink.

Not sure of your operating system, on Windows you can also use Audacity, set to Wasapi driver, records all audio. I guess you'd have to export the audio into a real daw then though.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

CinningBao wrote:Eh, good work! You might know this already, but if you make copies of your applications (Firefox 2, Firefox 3, etc) this may well present individual, say, Firefox applications for AHP to use as sources. So rather than being limited to Safari, Chrome, Firefox.. you can have as many applications sources as AHP can handle!

Tempted to try out AHP now..
Hey, good idea, but I just tried it and AHP pops up an "Audio Source in use by another session" alert. Wondering if I can do something else to make your idea work...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”