Thunder Drum

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Last edited by Genetic_Junk on Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

THUNDER DRUM THUNDER DRUM THUNDER DRUM THUNDER DRUM

What did I sample?

:clap:
cool idea :)
thanks for sharing,
cheers

Hi. I like them. It sounds a bit weird in isolation, but I'm sure someone can use them to great effect. I'll be throwing them in a granular synth. Should be interesting, given the large amount of variation in a single sample.

But do you have a description of the different samples? I can only download numbered mp3 files, and your website speaks about an NKI, but I can't understand where that comes from, as the website renders incompletely.

Thanks for the comments. I've changed the link to allow everyone to download the wav files and the nki. I should have named the samples according to their articulations and velocity, but I was lazy had jsut named them with a simple batch. If I rename them now, then it would be necessary to remap the samples for kontakt I think (kontakt expects the old names). I may update his in future and rename and remap the samples at that time.

Here's the info from the website:

I've sampled my Thunder Drum in stereo. Various methods of producing sound were recorded: Flicking the spring attached to the drum, moving my hand along the spring at various speeds, grabbing the spring, striking the drum at multiple velocities, and a few improvisational performances.

The samples: 82 files that total about 500 megabytes of 24bit/96Khz wav files.​ The Kontakt Instrument is made up of 5 'articulations'. This is a percussive instrument, it does not really produce distinct pitches. Reference to the root does not imply the Thunder was originally at that pitch.

Here is information about the NKI:

The 15 Drum Hits are mapped for velocity. The root is C-1 and they extend from C-2 to A#-1.

The 24 Flicks are mapped for velocity. The root is C1 and they extend from C0 to C2.

The 5 improvisational performances are velocity mapped. The velocity parameter was only used as a way to switch between samples sharing the same root note and extension keys. The root note is C3 and they extend from D#2 to A#3. The start sample can be moved forward using CC4.

The 24 spring grabs are cycled randomly. The root is C5 and they extend from C4 to C6. The sample start can be moved backward using CC1. For many of the samples, the default sample start is around the middle of the sample where I grabbed the spring after it had been struck.

The 11 spring pulls are played from G6 to G8 with a root of G7. Each sample will start based on the value of CC3. For example, when CC3 is between 0 and 11 and a note between G6 and G8 is played, the first spring pull is played. The sample start of the spring pulls can be moved forward using CC2.

anyone else's browser have trouble rendering the website?

Genetic_Junk wrote:anyone else's browser have trouble rendering the website?
I've noticed before that sites by wix and parastorage don't render properly on my mac. In Firefox, they show an empty page, and in Safari, there are pictures missing, text is weirdly formatted, etc. It's always been like that. There are more complaints when you google a bit.

FLWrd wrote:
Genetic_Junk wrote:anyone else's browser have trouble rendering the website?
I've noticed before that sites by wix and parastorage don't render properly on my mac. In Firefox, they show an empty page, and in Safari, there are pictures missing, text is weirdly formatted, etc. It's always been like that. There are more complaints when you google a bit.
Thanks for the info. If I end up going commercial, I'll be more careful with my host choice.

[deleted]

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”