Date for Melodyne Essential

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Jeff Benetti wrote:Well it depends on how tightly hooked in it is to the T5 product.
Well, I'd suggest that since Melodyne developed ARA, an extension to VST3, specifically to allow it to integrate more tightly with hosts, then it'll be as tightly hooked in as Melodyne is on any ARA-capable host.
If it's just a plugin, how does this set Traction apart from other DAWs.
Why would that be a requisite? Would there be something lacking if Tracktion 'just' had full ARA plugin support?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

So Unix isn't related to Linux. Fair enough. I thought they were related.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

jabe wrote:So Unix isn't related to Linux.
That's kinda moving the goalposts from 'OS is a proprietry Linux' though.

And while they are 'related' in a sort of a way, they're not in other sorts.
I thought they were related.
Linux isn't a version of Unix, its a Unix-like operating system. NetBSD and FreeBSD are both implementations of BSD Unix, based on original Unix code. Mach was a kernel designed to replace the older BSD kernel. OSX is effectively Unix at heart, but Linux is not.

Linux is related to Unix in that it was designed to be Unix-like. But its kernel code is not derived from any version of Unix.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

fedexnman wrote:Linux OS and open source stuff has no warranty and has bugs just like Mac and windows .. Ardour is great for audio on Linux . There are just not enough Linux VSTis and effects . I like Ardour/Mixbuss and ir-reverb lv2 but I wish there was an SSL buss compressor like the glue . I know there are compressors and limiters and EQs but it really be nice to have the glue. I know there is wine and wine asio but I'd like a pure Linux DAW but I'm stuck in windows.
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4#p5859936

:clap:

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Jeff Benetti wrote:
aMUSEd wrote: How could it be otherwise? TSC have no control over whether Melodyne is developed for Linux or not, it's not their fault.
Well it depends on how tightly hooked in it is to the T5 product.
No it doesn't, it's not made by TSC and the company that makes it hasn't made a Linux version so far so it's completely out of their hands. Blaming them for not making a Linux version with it in is ridiculous.

Dropped, my apologies

Just a quickie to say, yup, what whyterabbyt said. Linux isn't Unix, and like it or not, there is no version of Melodyne that runs natively on Linux. Melodyne is made by Celemony, TSC must have negotiated some kind of deal with them to bundle Melodyne, which is a bit of a rabbit out a hat, in my opinion, considering they sell Melodyne Essentials for $99, but windows and mac users will get it "free", if they buy Tracktion 5, which costs $59.99

I assume there's some kind of upsell to the full version of Melodyne expected/hoped for by Celemony, or some profit share agreement, or they're just big mates with the guys at TSC, because that's a great deal for Tracktion users.

Melodyne traditionally worked as a plugin where you had to transfer the audio into Melodyne, by playing it in, while Melodyne listened, in real time, then you made your edits, and saved it back, to use in your DAW. I think, I'm no expert.

In more recent versions, like others already mentioned, Melodyne exposed an API called ARA, which is an extension to the VST3 spec (I think), that means you get to skip the "transfer it to another program, save it back again" hassle - IF the DAW supports it. I'm not sure which ones do. I know Studio One does, I think Reaper doesn't, not sure about Logic, Cubase etc.

T5 is going to support ARA, from what's been said in the past, so there's definitely integration between the plugin and the host going on, and presumably the devs worked together, to get it going. And given the time between them announcing Melodyne would be a freebie, and it actually happening, it sounds like that's been more work than anticipated. That'd be my guess. Could be miles out, but seems like the most obvious explanation.

I'm really not sure why you're still banging the disappointed drum, because the free DAW you're using on Linux won't bundle a free VST, from a third party developer, that costs $99, and literally does not exist, as a Linux version. Can you really rationalise that to yourself, as a reasonable viewpoint? If there was a Linux version of Melodyne, and it wasn't bundled with the free, beta version of T5 on Linux, I'd still think that was understandable, from Celemony's point of view. How could they sell Melodyne Essentials Linux Edition to other Linux DAW users, for $99, if they gave it away free with the free version of T5?

The way to get T5 "rock solid" on Linux, is to report the bugs you see, in the Linux version, and watch the devs fix them. If that's not your bag, because you "value your time" too much, maybe beta testing T5 on Linux isn't your thing.

I'd love a solid 32 bit version of T5 on Linux, so I could run it on an aging netbook, as a portable "4 track" alternative I could chuck in a bag and forget it was there. I'd pay again for that version, even with basic functionality. But I get why that'd be a nightmare for the devs; trying to make increasingly complicated code, optimised for modern hardware, run reliably on hardware that really isn't up to it.

The linux version will be as good as you help make it be. If you report bugs, they'll get fixed, and it'll be great. If you don't, it'll have the same bugs, months later. But it ain't going to come with a free version of Komplete, that runs on Linux, 'cos there isn't one.

[EDIT] that wasn't a quickie, was it ... [/EDIT]
Last edited by chico.co.uk on Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

whyterabbyt wrote:
jabe wrote:So Unix isn't related to Linux.
That's kinda moving the goalposts from 'OS is a proprietry Linux' though.

And while they are 'related' in a sort of a way, they're not in other sorts.
I thought they were related.
Linux isn't a version of Unix, its a Unix-like operating system. NetBSD and FreeBSD are both implementations of BSD Unix, based on original Unix code. Mach was a kernel designed to replace the older BSD kernel. OSX is effectively Unix at heart, but Linux is not.

Linux is related to Unix in that it was designed to be Unix-like. But its kernel code is not derived from any version of Unix.
Thanks for the clarification.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Thanks everyone for the much deserved scolding.

Now can we move on?

Where is it? :)

fwsuperhero wrote:Where is it? :)
Ask the lawyers.
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

chico.co.uk wrote:...

Melodyne traditionally worked as a plugin where you had to transfer the audio into Melodyne, by playing it in, while Melodyne listened, in real time, then you made your edits, and saved it back, to use in your DAW. I think, I'm no expert.

I agree with all you've written, but this bit needs a little tweaking.

I'm pretty sure that the stand-alone versions (i.e: Melodyne Studio and Melodyne CR8 (a version of Studio with 8 tracks, IIRC)) preceded the plug-in versions by several years (the first plug-in appeared in 2007). The CR8 version was probably dropped some years back.

Melodyne plug-ins originally needed the audio loading into them and that would be when they made their assessment of the audio, not in real-time. After the loading and assessing (hopefully seconds or less), you'd be free to edit.

The stand-alone versions could record audio (and output MIDI versions). The Studio version doesn't yet have Direct Note Access.

It may be a little over the top, but for me Melodyne is the most amazing piece of software ever.

jabe wrote:
chico.co.uk wrote:...

I agree with all you've written, but this bit needs a little tweaking.

The stand-alone versions (i.e: Melodyne Studio and Melodyne CR8 (a version of Studio with 8 tracks, IIRC)) preceded the plug-in versions by several years (the first plug-in appeared in 2007; the stand-alone versions went on sale around 2002). The CR8 version was probably dropped some years back.

Melodyne plug-ins originally needed the audio loading into them and that would be when they made their assessment of the audio, not in real-time. After the loading and assessing (hopefully seconds or less), you'd be free to edit.

The stand-alone versions could record audio (and output MIDI versions). The Studio version doesn't yet have Direct Note Access.

It may be a little over the top, but for me Melodyne is the most amazing piece of software ever.

Jabe

I believe the current versions of both Melodyne Editor and the Studio "Bundle" have Direct Note Access.

The less expensive $99 Essentials and @249 Assistant do not.

In any case I'll be delighted to see it incorporated into the next upgrade of Tracktion.

And thanks for all your help and insights to all of us Tractioneers. There are about a half-dozen contributors like you, chico, frankvg etc. who have a way of shedding more light than heat on the questions that pop up on this forum that provides the necessary information to keep us moving forward.

Regards,

Theoldguy
It is time to come together in the middle of the road.

Hurry up - I'm not that bothered about the Melodyne angle (I have S1 and never use it) but hoping for some bug fixes and other improvements at least after all this time.

Return to “Tracktion”