Most comprehensive, feature rich and best-sounding softsynths currently available

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

RLSguitar wrote: Also, I forgot to mention spectral and granular synthesis methods to consider in the criteria. Perhaps their isn't one single synth that covers all synthesis methods?
You've pretty much paired down your own list to considerably less.
And I would add that it must also import samples to really keep from dating itself.

Your best all around to cover that criteria is Alchemy.

BBFG# wrote:
RLSguitar wrote: Also, I forgot to mention spectral and granular synthesis methods to consider in the criteria. Perhaps their isn't one single synth that covers all synthesis methods?
You've pretty much paired down your own list to considerably less.
And I would add that it must also import samples to really keep from dating itself.

Your best all around to cover that criteria is Alchemy.
To add to that, MachFive 3 as well as HALion 5 combine all sorts of synthesis methods with HALion 5 currently having the best sounding and most versatile granular engine.

MachFive combines normal sampling (with all the features you would expect including customized scripting/interface design) with granular sampling (and 2 different timestretch-modes), it has analog synthesis (2 types), FM synthesis, wavetable synthesis (supporting the import of single cycle waveforms), it has a drum and a noise module, step sequencers, as many LFOs you'll ever need, plenty of good filter types, great onboard FX (analog delay and Spark reverb really sound top notch), convolution reverb and an advanced modulation system comparable to Alchemy's (without the Snapshot morphing).

HALion 5 combines (very good) granular sampling and basic timestretching, with an advanced normal sampler, it has a good synth engine, an organ module (if you ever need that), plenty of onboard FX (some of which are really good), convolution reverb and quite an advanced modulation matrix (only 2 polyphonic LFOs though). It also has the FlexPhraser which is an advanced sequencer where you switch patterns using keyswitches or other controllers.
Last edited by Sampleconstruct on Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diversion has granular synthesis too.

urlwolf wrote:Diversion has granular synthesis too.
Already on the OP's list.

Sampleconstruct wrote: To add to that, MachFive 3 as well as HALion 5 combine all sorts of synthesis methods with HALion 5 currently having the best sounding and most versatile granular engine...
I've added MOTU MachFive and Steinberg Halion 5, both are very powerful synth workstations/samplers.
Robert Len Stallard
True to the music...

www.RLSguitar.com
KVR Seller/Buyer Feedback

Those were good suggestions for your criteria. I'm just beginning to explore both of them and have barely scratched the surface. They both do everything but the dishes.
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

Added a few more from a couple of posts I missed. Here is the updated list:
RLSguitar wrote:List of Most Comprehensive SoftSynths to Date
This list is in alphabetical order and being updated per posts and discussions.

- Camel Audio Alchemy
- Dmitry Sches Diversion
- FXpansion DCAM: Synth Squad
- Image Line Sytrus
- KV331 Audio SynthMaster
- LinPlug Spectral
- MOTU MachFive
- Native Instruments Absynth
- Native Instruments Reaktor
- Spectrasonics Omnisphere
- Steinberg Halion 5
- Tone2 Gladiator 2
- u-he Zebra

In debate whether to include or not in list
- Amaranth Audio Cycle (mostly waveform and spectral synthesis?)
- Cakewalk Z3ta+2 (slow updates, buggy for some?)
- Image Line Harmor (no FM?)
- Native Instruments Massive
- Rob Papen Blue II
- Synapse Audio Dune 2
- Tone2 Electra2
- u-he Bazille (modular hybrid digital/analog - need more info)
- Vember Audio Surge (no additive?)

Others mentioned in posts that don't meet criteria:
- Ableton Analog (mostly VA for Live only)
- Ableton Operator (for Live only)
- Cakewalk Rapture (slow updates, buggy for some)
- Lennar Digital Sylenth1 (mostly VA, slow update)
- Madronna Labs Aalto (unique but not comprehensive synth methods)
- Madronna Labs Kaivo (mostly granular and physical modeling)
- Native Instruments Kontakt (mostly a sampler)
- u-he ACE (mostly modular VA)
- u-he Diva (mostly VA, but a great synth)
- Virsyn Tera (slow updates, limited FX)
- Xfer Serum (mostly wavetable, not yet released)
Robert Len Stallard
True to the music...

www.RLSguitar.com

Electra 2 meets all the criteria. Blue II should be in there as well I think.

Glad to see that Diversion and Spectral are in too.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

My cursor has been hovering over the buy button for Diversion for about 5 minutes now. Thanks for the temptation folks. :roll: :clown:
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

Even tho MachFive may have all the features you need (I'm not 100 % sure it does), it's not very intuitive to use when it comes to synthesis. The features are there, but it's quite cumbersome to use.

I would vote Dune 2 for the list definately, maybe not additive (?), but everything else is there and it sounds pretty good. Definately "the most workhorse" and most versatile synth I've used. I haven't tested all in the list tho.

Per the most recent posts, I moved Blue II, Dune 2 and Electra2 to the main list. IMHO, these (along with Diva and Alchemy) are the best sounding synths currently on the market. I also moved MachFive to the debated list.
Last edited by RLSguitar on Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Len Stallard
True to the music...

www.RLSguitar.com

RLSguitar wrote:Per the most recent posts, I moved Blue II, Dune 2 and Electra2 to the main list. IMHO, these (along with Diva) are the best sounding synths currently on the market. I also moved MachFive to the debated list.
Good choice with Dune II and Diva as well.

Mach Five is a tough one, but I think it's more of a sampler (that can do very good synthesis).
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

You could add Tassman 4, modular synth from AAS.
And KarmaFX and VazModular, though those are less well-known.
Not sure but I think XILS4 is a modular too.
Modular synths are a whole kind of different thing though, not so much a synth as a synth building toolbox.
Last edited by Synchanter on Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My latest crazy track "The Quick Brown Fox sampled the Lazy Dog": http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4&t=425647
15 Free DIVA Presets: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8#p5892108

Rhino fits all the features except maybe 'continuous development', and that doesnt really matter because its feature-complete.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

RLSguitar wrote:Per the most recent posts, I moved Blue II, Dune 2 and Electra2 to the main list. IMHO, these (along with Diva and Alchemy) are the best sounding synths currently on the market. I also moved MachFive to the debated list.
I can wholeheartedly recommend Blue II and Diva as I have both and they sound glorious. Diva is actually far more flexible than the average subtractive synth, with 5 different oscillator setups, though it is no way as flexible as Zebra 2. Blue II has this beautiful tone that is both digital and analog at the same time.

Dune 2 and Electra 2 have this very modern, polished tone and can give Sylenth1 and Massive a good fight for the new king of EDM.

Alchemy can actually sound like anything as it is a sampler, so its not exactly too clear what its "sound" is. I suppose that's a positive that it sounds like whatever you feed it?
My latest crazy track "The Quick Brown Fox sampled the Lazy Dog": http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4&t=425647
15 Free DIVA Presets: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8#p5892108

Return to “Instruments”