No More Pain - Cinematic Analog Sequence

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is the latest track for my new album 'Hidden Gems | Instrumental Journeys' and is called 'No More Pain'. It is dedicated to those suffering under the cruel hand of ISIS.

Album downloads HERE (all free)

For this track, I used a combination of software and hardware synthesizers and sequencers and also incorporated some tape flanging (an emulation using a custom process I made up from a bunch of plugins and some REAPER multi channel routing) and a Leslie 147 emulation (GSi VB3). I also made use of this years developer challenge winner, Acon Digital Multiply (GREAT plugin!).
This track started off as my first experiment just after purchasing Zebra2. I was just messing about improvising with a patch that incorporated a plucked arpeggio and happened to record the MIDI. That then became the MIDI track that I used for all the other arpeggio parts. I also duplicated and edited the same MIDI part and used it for the Diva bass and pad parts.

Each of the layered arpeggio tracks were recorded one at a time with all hardware and software being tweaked in real time as the parts were recorded. The Zebra2 part was recorded first, then the Bazille pads (the first was duplicated and tape flanged), then the System 100 parts, and finally, the three JX-3P parts. Diva bass and pads were added last.

Here's the full list of instruments and FX:

Soft Synths:
Diva - Bass and JP8 Cinematic Pads.
Bazille - Pads (one instance through tape flanging, another through Valhalla Shimmer).
Zebra2 - Plucked arpeggios.

Analog Hardware Synths and MIDI Controllers:
Roland System 100 - Main sequenced arpeggios (panned hard L & R), oscillators deliberately slightly detuned - controlled via System 700 sequencer and Frostwave Quad MIDI - CV.
Roland JX-3P & PG200 (with Inque MIDI mod which allows velocity sensitivity via MIDI and PG200/MIDI inputs to be used at the same time) - additional arpeggios (three layers, one through Leslie 147 emu, one through Acon Digital Multiply and another through Delay and Reverb only).
Yamaha NP31 - Keyboard controller for Zebra2.

Sequencers/Arpeggiators:
Roland System 700 analog sequencer (sync'd to REAPER via audio control from REAPER metronome which was split into bar/beat signals and sent to two RME outputs)
Simp Arp (Wolfgang Krumme).
Zebra2 Arpeggiator.

MIDI Control of analog gear:
Frostwave Quad MIDI - CV Converter.

FX:
Valhalla VintageVerb.
Valhalla Shimmer.
VoS NastyDLA MKII.
Acon Digital Multiply (on one instance of JX-3P arpeggios).
ReaDelay
GSi VB3 (for Leslie 147 emu)
Interruptor.ch Wow and Flutter (x2), JS Channelmixer (x2), ReaEQ, JS Stereo Phase Invert - For tape flanging emulation.

DAW:
REAPER.

Interface:
RME Fireface UFX.

http://ausdisciples.com.au/media/audio/ ... e-Pain.mp3

Little bump for those who have not seen this...

super theme!!!!!
DJ NIK_TO

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
niksavinich@gmail.com (mailto:niksavinich@gmail.com)
DJ NIK_TO

Enjoying this AusDisciple! Nice flow to it...
:)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Nice hypnotic and anaesthetic qualities on here. It was a very relaxing piece to chill out to after an afternoon spent shopping and painting window frames. I thought it was reminiscent of White Eagle, which is a good thing in my book.

Good work :)

Very pretty. The sounds are excellent. I would have liked to hear a synth playing some lead melody lines.

Nice atmospheric pads and excellent arpeggios. Mixing is good. Overall a very good track, very relaxing. I would agree with comments above that I missed some type of melody lines.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

Thanks heaps for listening and posting your thoughts guys. Much appreciated. :tu:

Seismic, I haven't heard White Eagle for years. I had almost all the TD albums at one point.

Frantz and SatYatunes, I planned to record a melody line or two with this track originally and I actually did experiment with a few ideas but I kept coming back to liking the arpeggios on their own better. At that stage, I had recorded the System 100 arpeggios and the Zebra arpeggios and was trying a few lead lines with my JX3P.
After feeling less than inspired with the lead line ideas but quite inspired by some of the JX3P sounds as I tweaked the PG200, I decided to take the approach of adding a couple more layers of arpeggios from the JX and play the arpeggiator and the PG200 in real time. I was also considering adding some Hammond organ with a slow Leslie but I ended up running one of the JX3P takes through the Leslie instead and really liked it.
By that stage, the whole tune still needed some kind of 'glue' and the cinematic bass and pad patch from Diva did the trick nicely.

Perhaps I could've tried out another idea or two for a lead line at that stage but I was quite happy with the overall mood of everything and decided to move on to creating a final mix and releasing it.

Return to “Music Cafe”