Recreating this white noise sound? Anyone?

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey all, I've been trying to recreate these two white noise-ish ( i think?? ) sounds for a while now, with no luck obviously. The first one comes in at :21, its like the decompression type of sound you hear. The second sound is that breath like sound that sounds like it can be replaced with some hats between the 1 and 3 beats, i think. I know it's only white noise so it's probably no help to you all, but just in case, I am using Massive. So is it just fiddling with ADSR envelopes on white noise. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks a ton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGtKETJIcZs

bump. No one?

The second one right at :21 sounds like a tapestop effect on the riser. I'm no expert though.

I tried that right now and it still sounds off... maybe its my actual sound. Do you think it's a white noise riser, or is there some kind of sound wave in there?

I'm going to take a stab at a high-Q bandpass filter that drops in frequency that's fed into a resonator or fairly trashy reverb.

Gamma-UT wrote:I'm going to take a stab at a high-Q bandpass filter that drops in frequency that's fed into a resonator or fairly trashy reverb.
This is getting closer, I just need some fine tune or maybe translation lol as I am still a beginner in sound design. The bandpass filter on Massive has a cutoff, bandwidth and resonance. I have resonance all the way up same with bandwidth and cutoff but for those two I have a slow attack envelope modulating them downwards all the way. Is this what you're referring to?

Thanks for your response also

Pretty much. But listening again, I don't think it's just white noise in the original – more a very noisy sample or a sci-fi sound effect.

I'm also wondering instead whether it's something resonant into a reverb that's then sampled and pitched down.

Gamma-UT wrote:Pretty much. But listening again, I don't think it's just white noise in the original – more a very noisy sample or a sci-fi sound effect.

I'm also wondering instead whether it's something resonant into a reverb that's then sampled and pitched down.
Okay I see where youre getting at. If it's not too much trouble, I think its the same type of effect in this song from :55-1:05, maybe you could get a second listen at it in a different song :)

Thanks a lot though hahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY2Ywbcb2jY

That second one is definitely white noise into a falling bandpass filter, and it sounds as though the reverb builds up towards the end although it's obscured by the other instruments.

But I think I've figured it out: the missing ingredient in the first is a frequency shifter that I guess is being automated at the same rate as the filter somewhere from around 500Hz down. I think he adds the shifter towards the end in the second.

So it's filtered noise into frequency shifter into short high-diffusion, tinny reverb.

Gamma-UT wrote:
So it's filtered noise into frequency shifter into short high-diffusion, tinny reverb.
Good call. Ima call it the Gamma Effect.

Gamma-UT wrote:That second one is definitely white noise into a falling bandpass filter, and it sounds as though the reverb builds up towards the end although it's obscured by the other instruments.

But I think I've figured it out: the missing ingredient in the first is a frequency shifter that I guess is being automated at the same rate as the filter somewhere from around 500Hz down. I think he adds the shifter towards the end in the second.

Okay so the white noise in the bandpass filter is actually working really well with the sound. Is the riser separate you think? Or do you feel as if he uses the riser with a long release, and automates the release with the bandpass? Whats more practical?

It's probably easier to stick them on separate tracks, although it's possible it's the same source sound with automation.

arkmabat wrote:Ima call it the Gamma Effect.
:D

But I'd be surprised if the trick didn't date back to something like the Forbidden Planet soundtrack.

Return to “Sound Design”