Linux users rejoice :-)

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I heard that the earlier versions were working, but after some update the Sylenth1 ceased to work. I did some investigation with winedbg and found null pointer dereference in the code. But this action violates EULA, so I stopped my attempts to find the reason. I hope that LennarDigital will make a Linux port of his great synth at some time or at least will release version, that works with wine.
PS: I messaged the developer about a month ago, but it seems that he has other priorities at current time :-(.

Discovery pro by discodsp has native Linux vst support. Sounds really good to me.
http://www.discodsp.com/discoverypro/

lem8r wrote:Discovery pro by discodsp has native Linux vst support. Sounds really good to me.
All Loomer Plugins are Linux native as well: http://www.loomer.co.uk/

Getting there :clap:

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

lem8r wrote:Discovery pro by discodsp has native Linux vst support. Sounds really good to me.
I own Discovery Pro, it is a great synth, but it very CPU intensive. Some presets cause a crackles when playing chords in BWS.

So.. I know nothing about Linux but bitwig has me curious... Are there any benefits to using linux for pro audio? Less processing? More customizable?

Sorry for knowing, literally nothing about linux. Never even met someone who uses linux.
• Logic Pro 10.8.1
• MacBook Pro 2023 - M2 MAX - 96 GB RAM
• Focusrite Red 8Line + UAD Satellite

In my opinion,

Linux is very resource friendly. It can work on systems without any problem that are 15 years of more old.
Maybe it's still possible to boot it up on intel 486.

Besides the linux kernel, you have a choice between GUI's. desktops etc. On my desktop where i use mainly bitwig, i use fluxbox. That's a lightweight gui that doesn't weigh much on cpu of gpu. That's a good thing, because you're daw and plugins can benefit because they can use more cpu usage and ram.

Some extra stuff, because linux is opensource you don't have problems with hardware that is not supported anymore by the vendors. Everything keeps workings until the hardware dies, something you can't say with closed source. Example, my scanner has got an age of almost 10-15 years and it's still possible the scan documents. For windows xp hp didn't want to make drivers anymore so they force you to buy a new product.

This happens also with sound interfaces and other audio related hardware, wich is a shame if you have to throw it away for just a simple driver.

qtheerearranger wrote:So.. I know nothing about Linux but bitwig has me curious... Are there any benefits to using linux for pro audio? Less processing? More customizable?

Sorry for knowing, literally nothing about linux. Never even met someone who uses linux.
Technically there is no significant benefits to using Linux for audio production. But personally I cannot work in Windows or MacOS, they are very uncomfortable for me.

qtheerearranger wrote:So.. I know nothing about Linux but bitwig has me curious... Are there any benefits to using linux for pro audio? Less processing? More customizable?

It is faster overall and much more problem free in my experience.

Plus my built in audio card can go as low latency as BWS allows, specially using Jack (and the default real time kernel that comes with the default linux installation).

Also it is really great to work with its work spaces and easy access to many cool things.

Nice...this could be a real game changer for Music making on Linux. Much like what the recent Steam support has done for Linux gaming.

phantom-one wrote:

Technically there is no significant benefits to using Linux for audio production. But personally I cannot work in Windows or MacOS, they are very uncomfortable for me.
I like being able to drop my .wine folder, into whatever linux I want,
without the purgatorial of re-installing and or re-registering dozens of products.

Having a lot of control over the systems appearance and gui,
without needing a deep layer of expertise, is another plus.

So far, I haven't needed to buy windows 7, 8 or nein,
to use what vsts I like, I'd rather buy a plugin or two on sale
each year.
Cheers

This is exactly what I meant to say that I'm uncomfortable to use windows. There are a lot of different little things, which may not be as important in themselves, but which greatly affect the user experience altogether.

Greetings,

Very nice picture. So let's get to the point and ask when the software is going to be available for Linux ? Anyone have any idea whether the screenshot is a teaser or is Urs really going to release Linux versions of at least some of his synths ?

Exciting times.

Best,

dp

Interesting times indeed ;-) :party:

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

StudioDave wrote:Greetings,

Very nice picture. So let's get to the point and ask when the software is going to be available for Linux ? Anyone have any idea whether the screenshot is a teaser or is Urs really going to release Linux versions of at least some of his synths ?

Exciting times.

Best,

dp
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... x&start=90

Urs uses 'we' and 'we're' in his comments. As the boss of U-he,
I would take that as a positive sign. Pretty cool for Abique
to offer porting services, and be accepted.

Congrats to dawhead, concerning his 25th post at kvr.
The man is a titan of restraint, focussed on his work, and the future,
rejecting the age of internet soap operas, and circular firing squads! :clap:
Cheers

That indeed is amazing - the author of Ardour on a u-he thread about Linux...
Reminds me when I was with Urs at Musikmesse and half the industry seemed to drop by :-)

Epic :tu:

Cheers,

Tom

Return to “Bitwig”