Limiter: Opinions Wanted, Inquire Within

Official support for: lvcaudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

LVC-Audio is currently working within the realm of limiters and compressors. The limiter is getting closer to fruition, and an eventual release. What are your opinions on what a mastering/buss limiter needs to have? What controls, options, and features?

For example, should it just have an output VU and reduction meter (similar to HotPhuzz and TonedPLUS), or a full history view like PreAMPed, ClipShifter, and Transector?

The full history view would make it unique (well, besides DMGaudio's Pro-L, I guess).

I like clipshifter for its full history view!

. I think the most musical sounding "limiter"/saturator out there is the Slate Digital fg-x - whatever happens under the hood - I´m not sure... and there´s not much to improve - exept the 64bit compatibility, of course
. maybe a controllable Saturation feature, like the "bx-XL" has, would be cool
. and an M/S mode, link L/R percentage,
. Mono version for use in channels during mixing
. switchable look ahead function - like the Fab Filter Pro-L
. the metering could be better - like the "bx-meter", that´s a pretty good solution
for my taste, that´s all I need...

best regards
joerg

Slightly surprised that LVC-Audio is now doing conventional plug-ins like EQ, compression and limiting when the earlier plug-ins were doing things other plug-ins couldn't do. My favourite "limiter" is ClipShifter as it happens, and I find it more transparent than FG-X, Fabfilter, Voxengo and many others. HOFA will be coming out with a super-clean, one-button limiter very soon so in contrast to this it might be nice to have a limiter with lots of control over the sound and metering that shows the onset of pumping and distortion even before it becomes audible. Coupled with this there could also be a macro-parameter that allows managing the above trade-offs, so rather than a conventional release control I envisage some kind of vector/matrix that allows for a seamless handling of this-a bit like the soft/hard/simple/complex control in Logic Pro X's Drummer. If this could somehow be implemented I'm sure it would also be a great educational tool and find favour with music colleges for example. It's so easy to overdo limiting and destroy your music!

These are all good points.
So far, the limiter is taking shape. Many features are included already, but there is still a lot of work to do. These are great suggestions that give me more to work on.
I will say that the ClipShifter "engine" is included, instead of static clipping. It is one of the main reasons I am building a limiter: to build on what ClipShiter is capable of doing.

How important are metering options (e.g., k-meters, ITU/EBU, etc.), and dithering? Many limiters included these options, but there are plenty of good limiters that don't, as well. In terms of dithering, I am wondering how many people use the limiter to dither, or rely on the DAW to dither when saving.

Great news that the ClipShifter engine is included. Personally I use Meldaproductions MLoudnessAnalyzer for loudness metering and Airwindows Ditherbox for, well, dithering so wouldn't need a new limiter to include this. Glad you liked my slightly extravagant suggestions as they would set the limiter apart from the competition whereas a bog-standard limiter would probably have to sound at least 20% better than said competition which is probably not so easy to achieve given today's high standards.

Another quick question, how frequently are you using a limiter on tracks/busses? If so, what features do you think differentiate a good track limiter compared to a mastering limiter?

When i think about track limiter I think about something that "cant be done" by clean digital compressor with 10:1 - unlimited:1 ratio.

So it should have some colouring option (for that modern boomy drum busses :lol: ).
It should be cpu light and its ui should be light also (i think about track limiter as a clipper...).
Besides mastering i use limiters just for drums and for some peaks that i cant catch by compressor i´ve got. Nothing else...

But mastering limiter doesnt have any limitation, i´ve loved some with just one or two controls (maxwell smart, waves l1, loudmax, tonebooster cm...) but i also loved some more complicated (kjaerhus gold and vladg limiter no 1). So it depends on material.
When my mixdown is good i use just some limiter that boost volume.
But when i am lazy and wanna make drastic changes on master and make better sound i love these complex limiter that can do some more magic also (vladg limiter 1 has more compressors inside for example). But it can do more harm than good.

Sorry for my english, looking forward :-)

Return to “LVC-Audio”