MDrummer Midi Import

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For some reason whenever I try to import a midi file into MD, the default kit changes to another kit.
(Kicks and Snares change to Bongos and Crashes on import for example.)
Is there a way to import a midi file and lock the current drum kit to prevent any changes?

Strange i don't have this problem.

That's odd, can you tell me step by step how you do that?
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Well I'm not sure if I'm doing this right but I've tried this TWO ways...

1. Using the Rhythm Editor page go under the (edit tab) and select the import/export button.
2. I navigate to the midi file, select it and it only adds an extra instrument with no data written?

The other way was:

1. Using the Rhythm Editor page I go under the (Loop Editor) and select the functions button.
2. I navigate to (import midi) and locate the midi file, select it and it changes the instruments randomly and writes data.

Another problem is when I select the load box under the global setting, it shows a root folder with nothing inside?
Is this a question for a new forum subject?

It's not changing your kit. It's playing the notes that the file you're trying to import is mapped to. In other words, if you're importing an EZ Drummer MIDI clip, it appears that the hats or rides or something are mapped to the notes that MD uses for the conga sound. Try to get your head around output filters if you want to fix this. I've been down that road, and it seems that the only person who really has a handle on it is the guy who writes the software, and that's an unfair advantage! Hahaha.

At any rate, if you're importing into the Rhythm Generator, you're not gonna want hats or rides in there anyway, because the generator provides that stuff for you. Import your MIDI clip into the Rhythm Generator, then get rid of everything but the kick and snare. Now you can generate all, go to the Rhythm Editor and have a blast!

yes it has more sense now :)

[Import your MIDI clip into the Rhythm Generator, then get rid of everything but the kick and snare. Now you can generate all, go to the Rhythm Editor and have a blast!]

I would like to and it wouldn't be a problem but for some reason the kit gets rid of the kick and snare then I can't use the sound what I originally had.
It doesn't keep the kick or snare sounds, gets rid of them all together and like you mentioned [you're not gonna want hats or rides in there anyway, because the generator provides that stuff for you] and that's exactly what it does?

But I think I understand what your saying. The midi file is not mapped to the Standard midi GM drums or something which MDrummer understands?
I'll have to look this up and see how kicks and snares are read in MD.
This would mean that I would have to import each file to a 3rd party application, change it to what MD understands, export it then import it to MD.
This sounds like a painful process especially if you have thousands of 3rd party midi files and want to just get going.

Anyway sounds like there's no fix for this directly in MD.

Thanks for the help.

Well, let's not give up so quickly. MD does have EZ Drummer and Addictive Drums output filters. Go to Menu/Output filters, then click Load in the top right corner. Then select EZ Drummer, if that's what you're loading.

Next thing is, MD is kinda like its own entity. You select a base rhythm, then you can either select a beat from the MD folders, or you can click your own kick/snare beat in there. Then when you Generate All, your beats are there with hats, rides, crashes, fills, etc. It actually eliminates the need for thousands of 3rd party midi files.

What are you using as a base rhythm? And are you importing in the Rhythm Editor or the Rhythm Generator?

This is definitely not a lost cause. Just be patient, provide the info we're asking for, and I'm sure we can sort this out.

You can also just open your midi file folder in Windows Explorer, and drag the clips into the Rhtyhm Generator as well.

Firstly, when importing midi files I don't think midi output filters or indeed midi input filters are relevant. Input filters map notes to MD drum types when using a midi source like pads or keyboard. Output filters map MD's drum types to notes to drive something else.

If getting unexpected sounds when you import midi files you need to change the drum track type in the Rhythm editor AND, make sure the corresponding drum type is loaded in Drumset editor. You can then 'save song', naming it something like 'EZ Drummer midi file map)...next time you want to import midi files from the same 'author' just load that saved song (as a kind of template) and you'll get your re-defined associations.

That's correct. When importing MIDI, MDrummer assumes the General MIDI mapping, which unfortunately may not be exactly what you have if you are "grabbing stuff" from some "specific" drum machine.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Well these are my own drum sounds consolidated from plugins like Guru, Maschine ect..and a few bought some time ago and I'm not sure what they were made in?
What also blows is that the new Mac operating system have done away with the midi preview?
I don't have EZ Drummer or Addictive Drums unfortunately :/
No it looks like the midi files will have to be checked to make sure their in GM Drum format unless an update was made to select what tracks were frozen in place to be used.

Well at least I now know it was a legitimate issue and I didn't waste anyone's time on this as I've gotten the answer I been looking for.

Thanks for the suggestions and quick responses guys..

In that case you really need to check and fix it potentially. GM is really the only standard out there, so we use that one. In any way, you are the only one, who can know your MIDI files, it cannot be "detected" really even if we wanted to.
Vojtech

MeldaProduction wrote:That's correct. When importing MIDI, MDrummer assumes the General MIDI mapping, which unfortunately may not be exactly what you have if you are "grabbing stuff" from some "specific" drum machine.
It would be good to have the choice to import with ezdrummer and addictive drums 1 and 2 maps.

edkilp
KVRist

105 posts since 23 Jul, 2008
PM (32:08 24h) (32:08 24h) (32:08 24h)

Postby edkilp; Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:39 am (11:39 24h) (11:39 24h) (11:39 24h) (11:39 24h) Re: MDrummer Midi Import
Well, let's not give up so quickly. MD does have EZ Drummer and Addictive Drums output filters. Go to Menu/Output filters, then click Load in the top right corner. Then select EZ Drummer, if that's what you're loading.
Not sure if that's the same thing you was looking for?

I don't think any updates are going to be made for midi importing which is unfortunate.
I don't think MD reads up or down pitch in semitones like piano scales within the midi files which explains the erratic behavior when importing my files or at least, I don't see a way to do it along the loop editor?
I'm kind of new to MD so always discovering new things the more I use it.
NI Mashine allows for this so between the two, I'll find a work around because for the music I would like to do, GM drum midi files format doesn't help.

Return to “MeldaProduction”